Translation Software

When I first started writing to Jingwen, I wanted to try my hand at Chinese. I did a lot of research and bought some software to help in the endeavor. She was very appreciative that I would try to use her native language since, at the time, she spoke no English at all (well, other than ok and bye bye). After a few letters, she begged me to write in English. Apparently, it was easier for her to translate my English than to translate what I was taking for Chinese.

I knew all along that machine translation of English to Chinese is notoriously bad, but I figured that she at least would get the gist. Boy, was I wrong. We speak more Chinglish these days, but I still use the software. I have learned to be careful how I phrase my input and if I spell incorrectly, I find myself saying ¡°I¡¯m goo¡± rather than ¡°I¡¯m good¡± (the damn software has ¡°goo¡± in its dictionary).

Some of the more memorable translations include:

¡°My government is sometimes stupid¡± ¨C translation: ¡°Sometimes my government is a bird brain¡±.

¡°I¡¯m fine¡± ¨C translation: ¡°I¡¯m a penal sum¡±.

¡°It¡¯s raining cats and dogs¡± ¨C translation: Actually, I was surprised that the software came up with ¡°It¡¯s raining in torrents¡±.

¡°I like the VCD¡±. Since the software translated DVD correctly, I assumed the translation for VCD was correct too¡­wrong: ¡°I like the variable electric capacity diode.¡± Still don¡¯t know what the heck this is.

¡°I can¡± translates to ¡°I am able¡±, but ¡°I do not know if I can¡± translates to ¡°I do not know if my jar¡±. What the heck?

¡°still¡± comes out as ¡°yet¡± or ¡°stationary¡± depending on the usage.

Conversational Chinese seems a bit easier for me, particularly when I¡¯m in China. The ear, if not the tongue, becomes better attuned, but I still get those funny stares. Now, what¡¯s the correct pronunciation for ¡°ma¡± (mom, not horse or toad)?

A while back I tried my hand at sending my sister inlaw an email in Chinese....yea, it was all wrong too. Being fond of stupid computer tricks I went to one of the sites on the net that does translations from English to Chinese. I put in my English phrase, translated it to Chinese then translated it back to English....try this one if you really want to see some odd results :D

Have you tried those pocket translators yet?

-Tim

Have you tried those pocket translators yet?

We both have pocket translators, although Jingwen's is much more sophisticated than mine. Hers even contains slang expressions like "bulls**t". Mine is supposed to have a 50,000 word dictionary, but more times than not, I can't find the word I'm looking for. But, the phrase function is so useful. I can't wait to tell someone that I have menstrual cramps and need to go to the pharmacy.

One feature I like is the ability to display both pinyin and hanzi, so, even if I cannot correctly pronounce the word, I can show the Chinese characters. The voice feature is not that good, so having the hanzi is helpful.

Any idea what the make/model of the pocket translator Jingwen is? That actually sounds like a better idea than carrying around books (what I did in China). I use my books whenever I can.. I used to use babelfish when CaiYun originally wrote me in chinese.. it was an adventure doing the translation with the fish.. I finally found Jisyo which adds hints word-by-word. It was easier to do my own interpretation of what she was trying to say than to let babelfish limp-along. Sometimes I use CJQuickTrans on my computer, it has a pretty decent dictionary.

I definately have to agree with you that its easier to understand chinese than it is to speak it. I now call her grandmother, "Apple" because when I try to actually say, "Ah Pa" it comes out really badly. What's funny is that I have a friend who was born in America to chinese parents and I can actually hear his accent when he's speaking chinese :)

Has anyone else run into the mandarin v. cantonese v. local language problem yet? I know my numbers in cantonese, my basic expressions in mandarin, and expressions of feeling (sad, happy, depressed, etc) as well as family members in a village tongue (the village of TongLe).. needless to say, she's the only chinese-speaking person that can understand me :).. but I'm probably the only English-speaking person who can understand her :)..

Any idea what the make/model of the pocket translator Jingwen is? 

Sometimes I use CJQuickTrans on my computer, it has a pretty decent dictionary.

Has anyone else run into the mandarin v. cantonese v. local language problem yet?

I don't remember the make and model, but I'll ask Jingwen when I talk with her tonight.

I like CQuickTrans a lot. Not only does it help me with the grammar and pronunciation, but it also copies to the clipboard in a format that lets me paste the Chinese characters to Yahoo I/M. If I try to copy directly from my Chinese translation software to Yahoo, I get nothing but question marks.

Jingwen lives in Zhanjiang (Guangdong) where the local language is more like Cantonese than Mandarin. I speak a little Zhanjianghua now, but I keep trying to tell Jingwen that it's better for me to learn one language at a time. Fortunately, she also speaks putonghua. Just wait till she comes to Atlanta. She'll have a helluva time learning Southern English after all her practice with the king's English. "Excuse me, where is the WC?"

heh.. I live in Greenville, SC.. you think you have a challenge? :).. If its not too terribly expensive (i.e. less than $250USD) I'll probably push her to buy that translator if its that good.. I use Trillian and she uses OICQ.. I have the english version of OICQ, but all-in-all it isn't that good.. I'm considering writing a connector for Trillian (when the Pro version comes out of beta).. I guess we'll see.. maybe I could work in some real-time translation through babelfish (apparently altavista is running a SOAP server so you can do that), but unfortunately, M$ has recently patented that technology, so I guess I'll have to keep it in-house :)..

Any idea what the make/model of the pocket translator

I think Jingwen bought a Besta (CD-57?), and she paid about 1500 RMB for it in Zhanjiang. It has a pretty good handwriting recognition function. Either the software is good or her penmanship is.

Lately, she said she has been having problems with the LCD. It's been in the shop a couple of times, but she still has odd characters popping up from time to time. Because of the problems, Jingwen does not recommend it.

I don't know if this model is still available, but Besta is supposed to be a good translator despite the display glitches.

Guest enight

about 'Besta'...

I had to look online then found the meaning... hahaaa... yes

it's a electic dictionary... I bought one 10 years ago, and it cost me $280 http://www.chat001.com/bbsimg/24.gif, it doesn't support handwriting though, but it still works (maybe cause I use it too rarely? :P)

well.. I think I know her problem, because I also have a pocket pc which is using LCD screen handwriting for input.

if she was using screen writing and without any proection for the LCD screen, then the glass (very very thin) above the screen would be totally marked deeply, and she would have to write harder and harder for input then totally damage the LCD under the very thin glass.

she can either go change a LCD screen ( cost around 600 Yuan, I don't think it's worth).

or.. buy a new one.. and this time, use screen proection, cost from 20 yuan to 70 yuan each piece.

or... like what I do... I use 3M's film paper, and cut it then insert to the LCD screen, it works great :rolleyes: