Bank Account Question...

We have a timedeposit account at the BOC in Guangzhou which is ending in a few months. Most of our money in China is in the BOC in laopo's Hunan hometown where her father can access it. We could use the GZ account money to pay off house #3 in Hainan but we have no known way to access it. The deposit book is here in the US and although laopo has friends in GZ she is not too excited about trusting any one of them to make the transfer if we sent them the book... :clapping: She says there is no way to transfer this money to the Hunan account or send it directly to the Hainan developer without her being in GZ... :) Ah how much I love the banking system in China... :eekout:

Any ideas out there??? :blink:

Roger - I'm not sure about a 'time-deposit' account, but I do have experience with bank accounts at BOC.

You can see the Customer Service Number up at http://www.boc.cn/en/static/personal.html

She can initiate a TT (Telephonic Transfer) but she must sign something. She should be able to set it up via customer service hotline, and get the TT form, and fax it in (along with her ID and pages of the book). You can call BOC hotline yourself and inquire in English (from 9 am to 5 pm china time) or she can inquire in chinese 24/7.

Perhaps GZBILL can chime in ?

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

She can initiate a TT (Telephonic Transfer) but she must sign something. She should be able to set it up via customer service hotline, and get the TT form, and fax it in (along with her ID and pages of the book). You can call BOC hotline yourself and inquire in English (from 9 am to 5 pm china time) or she can inquire in chinese 24/7.

That sounds easy enough... :clapping: Thanks Darnell... :eekout:

That sounds easy enough... :) Thanks Darnell... :)

Cuzin' roGgIe, I don't know nuttin' about what this here thread is about but I got a question I gotta axe ewe.

In yer avatater photo, is that your wife with a small fryin' pan in her hand, gettin' ready to put a BIG knot on yore head?

Inquiring rednecks gots ta know.

tsap seui

We have a timedeposit account at the BOC in Guangzhou which is ending in a few months. Most of our money in China is in the BOC in laopo's Hunan hometown where her father can access it. We could use the GZ account money to pay off house #3 in Hainan but we have no known way to access it. The deposit book is here in the US and although laopo has friends in GZ she is not too excited about trusting any one of them to make the transfer if we sent them the book... <_< She says there is no way to transfer this money to the Hunan account or send it directly to the Hainan developer without her being in GZ... :lol: Ah how much I love the banking system in China... :blink:

Any ideas out there??? :lol:

Actually, just sending the deposit book to someone in China would be useless. They also need her ID card (the same one she used when opening the account) to withdraw the funds unless it is done within 5 days of maturity.

I can ask a few friends of mine in BOC GZ what her options are.

Did ask my friend and he said the only way is to give someone the bank book and account owner's Chinese ID card. Within 3 to 5 days of maturity, can get away with only bank book, but beyond that window must also show ID card.

Only way around that is by getting a notarized document authenticated by Chinese consulate.

In the future, best to set up online banking where you can handle all this over the Internet.

Did ask my friend and he said the only way is to give someone the bank book and account owner's Chinese ID card. Within 3 to 5 days of maturity, can get away with only bank book, but beyond that window must also show ID card.

Only way around that is by getting a notarized document authenticated by Chinese consulate.

In the future, best to set up online banking where you can handle all this over the Internet.

Thanks Bill...Now the online thingie sounds like the way to go...Laopo even gets frustrated with ba when he does not follow her instructions exactly about money matters so being able to do it right from our 'puter would be a big step forward... :)