Chinese Visas (question on new requirements)

Has anyone applied for a Chinese visa recently? My understanding is that you need airline tickets and hotel reservations for tourist visas. However, for those visiting friends and family, hotel reservations are not required and it suggests providing a "certificate of kinship".

So for those married to a Chinese, would it suffice to show a marriage certificate and a copy of the spouse's Chinese passport?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Has anyone applied for a Chinese visa recently? My understanding is that you need airline tickets and hotel reservations for tourist visas. However, for those visiting friends and family, hotel reservations are not required and it suggests providing a "certificate of kinship".

So for those married to a Chinese, would it suffice to show a marriage certificate and a copy of the spouse's Chinese passport?

I just went down to the Chinese Embassy in person and filled for a visa this past monday. They didnt ask for any plane tickets or itinerary. Im suppose to pick up my passport and visa tomorrow. So maybe just bring your plane tickets and such. Of course this was in Downtown LA and I have 2 prior chinese visas which are all expired :-( Damn it all, why are they so expensive..

good luck!

I just receive my visa on the 8th. I had to use a service because the nearest Chinese Consulate is Houston. None of the visa service companies would accept my application with out a round trip airline ticket and hotel reservation. All electronically printed, etc, etc, etc.

For the hotel I just made a reservation with one of the national brands and canceled it after I receive my visa back. My little lady arranged a hotel for me which she liked.

This was my first visa for China.

audelair - yup - thats the new requirements.

Others here have 'gotten by' simply by showing the marriage book.

If yer not married, a letter from yer lass, in Chinese, is sufficient.

Be Good !

I just went down to the Chinese Embassy in person and filled for a visa this past monday. They didnt ask for any plane tickets or itinerary. Im suppose to pick up my passport and visa tomorrow. So maybe just bring your plane tickets and such. Of course this was in Downtown LA and I have 2 prior chinese visas which are all expired :-( Damn it all, why are they so expensive..

good luck!

Tomorrow my fiance is going to apply for a visa in Chinese Embassy in downtown LA. He is a little worried about it with the new requirements. He has got the invivations from me and one company, all my residential paper, hotel reservation and air tickets. From your experience, I hope my fiance can get Chinese visa easily. Good luck!

Guest WenDylan

good luck!

Tomorrow my fiance is going to apply for a visa in Chinese Embassy in downtown LA. He is a little worried about it with the new requirements. He has got the invivations from me and one company, all my residential paper, hotel reservation and air tickets. From your experience, I hope my fiance can get Chinese visa easily. Good luck!

Getting a Chinese visa was easier than buying something on eBay... and way less hassle. Heck the shipping times were even faster for me (from OK City to the Houston Consulate). :offtopic:

Relax szlady ... this will be no problem. The LA consulate is very cooperative, particularly when you are there in person.

We look forward to meeting you and your man at a CFL SoCal gathering!

Relax szlady ... this will be no problem. The LA consulate is very cooperative, particularly when you are there in person.

We look forward to meeting you and your man at a CFL SoCal gathering!

Thanks Jim, I tried to make my fiance relax. You are always so friendly and helpful. Hope we can join your gathering next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I called a visa service company (mychinavisa.com) and they said that just writing in your inviter's name and address and contact information on the visa form was sufficient. Apparently, they are not that strict.

I'm a bit surprised, because it seems some people have had problems getting accepted without hotel reservations or proof that they have a place to stay.

I just applied for a visa today, actually. My travel agent wasn't sure if it really was necessary, because we had seen the same "requirement" before. But, that time, and this time, she had ordered a plane ticket and hotel reservation for me and then voided it after using it to fulfill that requirement, allowing me to order a cheaper one without the travel agent charge.

Geez, I have an awesome travel agent.

Well poo! I guess the idea of my fiancee traveling back with me after the visa is approved just went down the crapper. :P

The hotel reservation isn't a problem, its the fact that I will have to have a round trip ticket booked. :blink:

Edited by Reddragon75 (see edit history)

Well poo! I guess the idea of my fianc¨¦e traveling back with me after the visa is approved just went down the crapper. :(

The hotel reservation isn't a problem, its the fact that I will have to have a round trip ticket booked. :angry:

I just got back from the Chinese Consulate in L.A. - Turned in my Visa Application (Tourist), Passport, Picture, and just a printed flight itinerary from Expedia.Com (I hope that will work) No motel reservations, but I put down xiaomin's address (I hope that's okay too) We'll see I guess. I'll let everyone know...