China's angry youth?

I am so proud of my China.

It is good that the youth of China realize what they have.

It is so funny to read that America is blocking China attempt at free trade because they can not buy into American companies. It does sound a bit like restraint of trade doesn't it.

The only thing I didn't agree with was the reference to Mao as a leader for the country. He was a ruthless, selfish thug (in my opinion) and it is only since his death that the people of China have been able to rise up and become the great country, and great people they are.

I hope China becomes the dominant world power.

I hope Chinas form of "communism" turns into "empathetic capitalism".

I hope my children grow up in the greatest country on earth, whether that is America or China, or maybe both <_<

I hope this thread doesn't get deleted as a political thread :unsure:)

I am so proud of my China.

It is good that the youth of China realize what they have.

It is so funny to read that America is blocking China attempt at free trade because they can not buy into American companies. It does sound a bit like restraint of trade doesn't it.

The only thing I didn't agree with was the reference to Mao as a leader for the country. He was a ruthless, selfish thug (in my opinion) and it is only since his death that the people of China have been able to rise up and become the great country, and great people they are.

I hope China becomes the dominant world power.

I hope Chinas form of "communism" turns into "empathetic capitalism".

I hope my children grow up in the greatest country on earth, whether that is America or China, or maybe both :toot:

I hope this thread doesn't get deleted as a political thread :huh:)

Oh I get it now... :blush: The "deleted" reference is a joke... :D Well it's too bad Ty isn't here to agree with you wholeheartedly about Mao...I've read a couple of books on The Great Helmsman and it's not difficult to come away from them with the view that he must be occupying a lower place in heck than Vlad the Impaler... :D But in fact many Chinese think very highly of Mao and see him as the father of their country..."Just like George Washington in your country" as one young man told me in Changsha...and I declined to argue with him... :o And if you've ever been on a BJ tour you have gone to see Mao himself (or at least some kind of wax likeness) in his mausoleum...If so you've waited in line for a very long time for the privilege and noted that there is a huge amount of genuine love for the man who brought China out of feudalism...So personally I am of two minds about him... :blink:

Interesting article that touches on many of the things we've discussed here lately.

Warning: It's looooong.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07...?printable=true

I've read similar things about a possible rise of nationalism among China's disaffected youth... :o If the economy continues advancing at a strong pace I think the chances of this kind of thing becoming widespread are vanishingly small... :roller: But if there would be a major stumble that could be pinned on the west then yes we could see the dark side... :rolleyes:

Just one of the reasons why IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION... :roller:

Religion and nationalism are mankind's two worst constructs...

After reading many books on the evolution of China, I've come to believe that the best way to view Mao is as "a necessary step" in China's evolution.

Quite frankly, I'm happy that the USA is #1 (even though we're doing our best to leap into the abyss). However I would be very happy to see the USA and China develop a happy synergy (don't you hate that word) for sharing the top slot.

...there is a huge amount of genuine love for the man who brought China out of feudalism...So personally I am of two minds about him... :)

That's essentially what most Chinese feel about Mao. They both revere and revile him.

The woman whom I toured The Forbidden City pointed at the picture of Mao and stated that he is viewed as a God by most Chinese. Yet, at the same time know that we was responsible for years of senseless policies that caused widespread suffering.

Anyway, back to the New Yawka article...

Sorry Sport-all of you!

The needs of both parties are incompatible, so each fools the other into thinking 'all is well'.

I'll edit this over the next 2 days, give you blatant examples.

Be Sweet ! and Sweet Smelling !!!!