a back door built into Skype?

Guest WenDylan

I was saying you need to make sure and cover your behind! If your employer, as in you are on his payroll as security guru, has you install a back door you are fine. He is telling you how he expects your system to work and operate. When you leave that job he should change the pass word to the back door so that you can not enter. But if he did not and you did enter it, you could be in trouble.

If you are a freelancer dong project work, i.e. installing a system for someone else, you need to watch the legal stuff. For example the company that hires you tells you to put in a back door so "THEY" can monitor all system from anywhere. You do this for them. If that is the end of your contract / services to that company and you entered the back door at some later date that could result in all sorts of legal issues for you. If you are hired on a retainer or something to fix problems or check the system every so often you have grounds to be there.

I am not a legal type, but been doing contracts now for 20+ years with large, multi-national companies and our own government that are very concerned with privacy and security.

I would tell you if any of the companies I worked for found an unauthorized backdoor in any of the systems they had installed and that is had been used the legal folks would be on them so fast it would make warp speed look slow. They would assume the worst and you would have to prove it was not.

Maybe I have just been in business too long where every word in a 10 page puchase order can be used against you. Yep automotive business breeds wonderful relationships between OEM and suppliers.

I don't do freelance, because for that I would require I license. However even as I pursue my career, I stay attached to an old employer because I really enjoy being able to work and shop at the same time. :)

• 2 months later...

I was saying you need to make sure and cover your behind! If your employer, as in you are on his payroll as security guru, has you install a back door you are fine. He is telling you how he expects your system to work and operate. When you leave that job he should change the pass word to the back door so that you can not enter. But if he did not and you did enter it, you could be in trouble.

If you are a freelancer dong project work, i.e. installing a system for someone else, you need to watch the legal stuff. For example the company that hires you tells you to put in a back door so "THEY" can monitor all system from anywhere. You do this for them. If that is the end of your contract / services to that company and you entered the back door at some later date that could result in all sorts of legal issues for you. If you are hired on a retainer or something to fix problems or check the system every so often you have grounds to be there.

I am not a legal type, but been doing contracts now for 20+ years with large, multi-national companies and our own government that are very concerned with privacy and security.

I would tell you if any of the companies I worked for found an unauthorized backdoor in any of the systems they had installed and that is had been used the legal folks would be on them so fast it would make warp speed look slow. They would assume the worst and you would have to prove it was not.

Maybe I have just been in business too long where every word in a 10 page puchase order can be used against you. Yep automotive business breeds wonderful relationships between OEM and suppliers.

I don't do freelance, because for that I would require I license. However even as I pursue my career, I stay attached to an old employer because I really enjoy being able to work and shop at the same time. :D

If you break the law, at an employers behest, you are still in a world of pain. I would absolutely have an ironclad legal agreement in place that requires your employer to pay for a *good* lawyer under any circumstance, and obtain written specifications for every job you do, and store that agreement and those specifications at your lawyers office, the same one that your employer would be paying to defend you.