a back door built into Skype?

"According to reports, there may be a back door built into Skype, which allows connections to be bugged. The company has declined to expressly deny the allegations. At a meeting with representatives of ISPs and the Austrian regulator on lawful interception of IP based services held on 25th June, high-ranking officials at the Austrian interior ministry revealed that it is not a problem for them to listen in on Skype conversations."

for more...http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/113353

Richard

Guest WenDylan

"According to reports, there may be a back door built into Skype, which allows connections to be bugged. The company has declined to expressly deny the allegations. At a meeting with representatives of ISPs and the Austrian regulator on lawful interception of IP based services held on 25th June, high-ranking officials at the Austrian interior ministry revealed that it is not a problem for them to listen in on Skype conversations."

for more...http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/113353

Richard

I would almost expect this. If I created a program, as as the creator I would want to have total access to who is using my tool and even allow me to have access if need be.

For example, when I install in-house CCTV systems for small corporations as a side job... I build a backdoor that allows me constant access to the system. I can see what they see, and without anyone ever knowing it.

Very easy to do, and why not? If you can, and most people won't know about it... :rolleyes:

Richard - I don't have a problem with this. Anyone listening in the government is looking for illegal activities and terrorism stuff. and thats ANY government who has an agreement with Skype.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Richard - I don't have a problem with this. Anyone listening in the government is looking for illegal activities and terrorism stuff. and thats ANY government who has an agreement with Skype.

Yea I know, the reason for the post is, I know some here use it, and might find the information "interesting"

I'm not doing anything illegal, but I don't relish the thought of someone listening to the conversations between my wife and I.

Richard

Meanwhle, back in China -

ANY electronic communication has potential for real time monitoring.

IM, telephone, fax, email.

I just shrug and not worry about it.

Guest WenDylan

Meanwhle, back in China -

ANY electronic communication has potential for real time monitoring.

IM, telephone, fax, email.

I just shrug and not worry about it.

I agree. I really don't have anything to hide. I am a simple American and I love my Chinese fiance. The best of both worlds if I might say so myself. :unsure:

I would almost expect this. If I created a program, as as the creator I would want to have total access to who is using my tool and even allow me to have access if need be.

For example, when I install in-house CCTV systems for small corporations as a side job... I build a backdoor that allows me constant access to the system. I can see what they see, and without anyone ever knowing it.

Very easy to do, and why not? If you can, and most people won't know about it... :unsure:

Wow

Are you sure you want to post this?

Richard

Yea I know, the reason for the post is, I know some here use it, and might find the information "interesting"

I'm not doing anything illegal, but I don't relish the thought of someone listening to the conversations between my wife and I.

Richard

If your not doing anything illegal.. then why worry about it.. it most likely never happens anyways and can create alot of unnecessary anxiety...

People webcam all the time... I think chatting is the least of anyone's worries :unsure:

Guest WenDylan

Very easy to do, and why not? If you can, and most people won't know about it... :rolleyes:

Wow

Richard

Yeah, no harm done.

This is actually very common, most out-sourced CCTV installations are very similar in doing this, that they can be accessed from a remote installation. No one knows this happens, but I don't mind sharing it. I don't install for anyone but 1 company now, and I am loyal to them and the good people I hired there. So I'd say its pretty safe, however you never know what person you might be handing your security's keys to... and that is why I said it. Just to keep an interesting though.

So... if I can do this, and me being no genius... think of what things could be done in the hands of those much more skillful than I. Hoho.

Edited by WenDylan (see edit history)

If I hired someone to put in a security system and later found out they had a back door installed with out my permission, I would own the company, the guy's home and anything else of value the state would let me take.

I see this as a big deal and just because others do it does not make it right. The one I had installed in my current employers’ office had a clause in the contract allowing the company to have total access, legal word for backdoor. This was fine as they are also doing our monitoring. But if I had not signed this over to them and found out about it later, I know they would have been in lots of trouble.

I do not know what your contract states with your customer, but this is something you need to have some place in your T&C or written very plainly.

I would ask a lawyer about the laws in your state. I am sure for a few hundred bucks he could write you the correct legal words to include in all future contracts to cover your butt!

I am sure if you read the T&C of Skype there is some mention of it somewhere. It maybe something like ..they are authorized to meet all appilicable goverment rules and regulations...

Edited by Maxal (see edit history)

Richard

If your not doing anything illegal.. then why worry about it.. it most likely never happens anyways and can create alot of unnecessary anxiety...

People webcam all the time... I think chatting is the least of anyone's worries :)

A very common myth that people who aren't doing anything wrong don't need the protection of laws against people who might gather and misuse "evidence".

Famous last words for many wrongly convicted people behind bars. I hadn't done anything wrong so why not let them search, interrogate, etc. The assumption is that the truth is more important than getting a conviction. Sadly, not true in reality.

We reward those who get convictions and feed our false sense of security not those who seek truth, even if it means no resolution to the case.

Of course, living in a nation where the unitary executive now has the power to lock you up indefinitely for any reason he chooses, where several innocent people have already been "rendered" to foreign jails for torture, the statement "if you're not doing anything illegal, why worry about it" might even be considered a bit naive.

Very easy to do, and why not? If you can, and most people won't know about it... :)

Wow

Richard

Yeah, no harm done.

This is actually very common, most out-sourced CCTV installations are very similar in doing this, that they can be accessed from a remote installation. No one knows this happens, but I don't mind sharing it. I don't install for anyone but 1 company now, and I am loyal to them and the good people I hired there. So I'd say its pretty safe, however you never know what person you might be handing your security's keys to... and that is why I said it. Just to keep an interesting though.

So... if I can do this, and me being no genius... think of what things could be done in the hands of those much more skillful than I. Hoho.

Dylan,

I think he meant are you sure you aren't publically admitting to breaking the law, even if others do it. I don't know the answer to that question but its something to think about.

Joe

Guest WenDylan

Very easy to do, and why not? If you can, and most people won't know about it... :roller:

Wow

Richard

Yeah, no harm done.

Dylan,

I think he meant are you sure you aren't publically admitting to breaking the law, even if others do it. I don't know the answer to that question but its something to think about.

Joe

How am I breaking the law if it is my employer having me put in the backdoor? I install the backdoor so the company owner can monitor his stores from afar. However by doing this, I have access as well. Because I created the system. So in reality when there will always be more people that have access to a system, for one reason or another than what is intended. I direct the loss prevention/security program. By accessing one store's system from home, you can monitor internal theft and illicit activities. When you run a retail business, maybe 20% of your loss is accounted by shoplifting... the other 80% is internal shrink from mistakes and "trusting" your own employees.

That's all I am saying about this topic to stir some thoughts. I am only creating an idea of everyone to think about. Not to point fingers at me like a criminal. :lol:

Check this out though... this is exploitation of this "backdoor" which is one example...

search this string "/view/index.shtml" in Google.

You can search YouTube as well and get some info on it.

I was saying you need to make sure and cover your behind! If your employer, as in you are on his payroll as security guru, has you install a back door you are fine. He is telling you how he expects your system to work and operate. When you leave that job he should change the pass word to the back door so that you can not enter. But if he did not and you did enter it, you could be in trouble.

If you are a freelancer dong project work, i.e. installing a system for someone else, you need to watch the legal stuff. For example the company that hires you tells you to put in a back door so "THEY" can monitor all system from anywhere. You do this for them. If that is the end of your contract / services to that company and you entered the back door at some later date that could result in all sorts of legal issues for you. If you are hired on a retainer or something to fix problems or check the system every so often you have grounds to be there.

I am not a legal type, but been doing contracts now for 20+ years with large, multi-national companies and our own government that are very concerned with privacy and security.

I would tell you if any of the companies I worked for found an unauthorized backdoor in any of the systems they had installed and that is had been used the legal folks would be on them so fast it would make warp speed look slow. They would assume the worst and you would have to prove it was not.

Maybe I have just been in business too long where every word in a 10 page puchase order can be used against you. Yep automotive business breeds wonderful relationships between OEM and suppliers.