Red Flag?

Hi all,

Do you think it is a red flag to the interviewer if I have not seen my fiance for a year from the time of his interview? I am in law school right now so I cannot go back to China to visit him and I anticipate being in school when he has his interview too. I have been to China two times in the past. In 2005 I went to China to study at a university in BJ and met him there; stayed for about a year. And from late 2006 to 2007 I went back to China to work for 10 months in a different city and he visited me about 7-8 times for a few weeks at a time. We have lots of pictures and plane/train tickets as well as proof of ongoing long distance relationship like chat logs, phone calls, skype calls, handwritten letters. Do you think it will be a potential red flag in our case that I do not go to the interview with him and also that it will have been a year or more since our last meeting? I do plan to submit transcripts to show I have been in school ever since returning to the US in Sept. 2007 (including summer semester right now). Any suggestions? Opinions? Anyone in the same boat? I know one year is a long time to be apart but isn't school a good reason? I mean that is a big part of why we are filing this petition, to be together....

Hi all,

Do you think it is a red flag to the interviewer if I have not seen my fiance for a year from the time of his interview? I am in law school right now so I cannot go back to China to visit him and I anticipate being in school when he has his interview too. I have been to China two times in the past. In 2005 I went to China to study at a university in BJ and met him there; stayed for about a year. And from late 2006 to 2007 I went back to China to work for 10 months in a different city and he visited me about 7-8 times for a few weeks at a time. We have lots of pictures and plane/train tickets as well as proof of ongoing long distance relationship like chat logs, phone calls, skype calls, handwritten letters. Do you think it will be a potential red flag in our case that I do not go to the interview with him and also that it will have been a year or more since our last meeting? I do plan to submit transcripts to show I have been in school ever since returning to the US in Sept. 2007 (including summer semester right now). Any suggestions? Opinions? Anyone in the same boat? I know one year is a long time to be apart but isn't school a good reason? I mean that is a big part of why we are filing this petition, to be together....

You have been to China 2 times, as well as long period in 2005, just provide plenty of evidence of correspondence and communications.

I attached communications evidence to our I-129F.

I dont see a potential "red flag" in what you say.

Many only visit China one time and get the visa, you have been there more than that.

There is ALWAYS a potential red flag in something like that, but what you need to do is to take a look at the overall picture you present.

If you write up a list of reasons/excuses for the length of time since your last visit, it may simply call attention to the gap. Just try to present a picture of a loving couple, without presenting reams of evidence that he won't have the time to look through.

The date of your last visit need not come out, unless he is asked. Don't try to hide anything, but you don't need to TELL him about your red flag. Answer his questions truthfully, and keep any evidence for the gap in your "kitchen sink"

Guest Rob & Jin

Umm....... if you read through the recent interview write ups, it seems a question always asked now " how many visits and when?"

If you really cant make another visit before or for the interview, then I suggest you prepare your photos and log evidence very strongly.

Times have changed since Dan and Randy where at this stage, GUZ is "beasting" on bonifide now through evidence of visits, I guess they think this shows its real.

IMHO, another visit will go a long way in cementing your case, why give them a weakness to explore (even students get vacation) "their thinking" do what you can.

Good luck :)

Guest WenDylan

Maybe you should plan a small visit just for the interview. This will count as a trip, as well as you could attend the ACH and raise this question with a VO so you can cover your bases better. Sounds pretty solid to me, if you went for the interview. :)

Times have changed since Dan and Randy where at this stage, GUZ is "beasting" on bonifide now through evidence of visits, I guess they think this shows its real.

IMHO, another visit will go a long way in cementing your case, why give them a weakness to explore (even students get vacation) "their thinking" do what you can.

Good luck :)

Nothing's changed, guy. A year is still a year, and still a potential red flag.

The word "bonafide" is only used when they think it's not.

Visits are still good.

The only way I see myself going is for winter vacation. Law school is intense and I cant just leave for a week. I hope my fiance's interview is during winter vacation so I can visit, or maybe thanksgiving vacation? Oh well I guess I will have to wait and see. Thanks for all the advice!

Randy is the voice of reason here... bona-fide has always been the main issue... this year or five years ago. The evidence they want or expect seems to flucuate now and then.

Time apart is not a good thing in general but the overall picture is what really matters. If you have presented some evidence of the past relationship time than that will help.

I would say that a VO would question how a student can sponsor a foreign national into the country?

Being in law school is simply a person hoping to finish law school... the VO will ask: "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!"

I don't disagree with what others have said, but I do see something else that I believe is in your favor. This is just my opinion, so don't take undue comfort from it.

Sure you must touch all the other bases, including having a sponsor if you are unable to show the ability to support him currently. But it sounds like you can show that you have spent a lot of time together, more than most who apply, and have lots of photos and so forth.

So, if you can show through your grade reports in law school that you are a serious student, and even better if you can show that you have clerked part time for a law firm while going to school, I believe it goes a long way toward removing the red flag. What is the red flag? Visa fraud?

What serious law student would put her opportunity to obtain a law license on the line for a few bucks when she will soon be in a position to make a ton of money? The starting salaries for top law students at the large law firms now exceed $150 K annually. JMO but I think they look for potential visa fraud, not stupidity. :P

Then even though no one can predict what GUZ will do, I personally don't think you have a problem because I don't see a red flag in what you have described to us. You still can't let your guard down, you still need to present all the required evidence, but no matter how they might profile you I just don't see a red flag.

I have also only made one trip. I DO plan on going to the interview though. And, of course, I have a mountain of emails, IM's, and phone calls that we have made to each other.

I am a student as well, but I am an older student(none of your business how much older.. :blink:) and I have a full-time job as well as a part-time job. Like you, I hope that our interview is scheduled during a break in school, but if it is not, then I will do what is necessary to be there. I am sure I could talk to my professors and explain to them how important it is to me to make the trip and they will be willing to work with me. But, then again, I am not a law school student...I am just a lowly Broadcasting major. ;) So, obviously it would probably be a lot easier for me to make arrangements for the trip during school than it would be for you. In terms of work, my boss has already told me that I can take as much time off work as I need to for the trip.

But, I can tell you that I am also kind of paranoid about the fact that I have not been able to make multiple trips as other people have. However, like many other members here will tell you, there is a lot of factors other than number of visits that determine whether or not it is a "bonafide relationship" in the eyes of the VO. IMHO, I think a big factor is the VO you get. Just hope that you don't get a VO that's in a foul mood. ;)

I have also only made one trip. I DO plan on going to the interview though. And, of course, I have a mountain of emails, IM's, and phone calls that we have made to each other.

I am a student as well, but I am an older student(none of your business how much older.. :blink:) and I have a full-time job as well as a part-time job. Like you, I hope that our interview is scheduled during a break in school, but if it is not, then I will do what is necessary to be there. I am sure I could talk to my professors and explain to them how important it is to me to make the trip and they will be willing to work with me. But, then again, I am not a law school student...I am just a lowly Broadcasting major. ;) So, obviously it would probably be a lot easier for me to make arrangements for the trip during school than it would be for you. In terms of work, my boss has already told me that I can take as much time off work as I need to for the trip.

But, I can tell you that I am also kind of paranoid about the fact that I have not been able to make multiple trips as other people have. However, like many other members here will tell you, there is a lot of factors other than number of visits that determine whether or not it is a "bonafide relationship" in the eyes of the VO. IMHO, I think a big factor is the VO you get. Just hope that you don't get a VO that's in a foul mood. ;)

Two trips within the last year wouldn't raise anyone's eyebrows.

The problem the OP has is NO trips within the year before the interview.

Hi all,

I see no red flags, I was married on the first trip to china and never made any other trips until interview time. That would make a total of two trips within one year for me.

Now don't get me wrong and like others have said GUZ is God!! and IMO they make up the rules as they go?

My wife and i did receive a blue slip :o But not for the number of visits i made before interview date.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25151

There are many members here on CFL that only made ONE! trip and they received pink slip (visa) So like others have said.

Document everything and keep good records and everything will be fine.

"Logically" speaking, I think you your case has a lot of merit.

If I had been in your situation and could not get over again before the interview, I would hand write an evolution of relationship letter that describes in a little more detail what you have told us. Don't make it too big. Paint a chronological picture of your relationship. Show them the transcrips of you time in law school in the states since your last visit.

Having a 21 year old daughter majoring in business in college, who has taken summer courses, and who works full time, I well understand your concern here.

It would be best if you could swing going (during one of your breaks in classes) to Guangzhou, even if it is for only 4 or 5 days and go to ACH to hand in this evolution of relationship letter to a Vo and explain your situation. You would have another visit, and you would get an opportunity to explain your situation. The VO will probably NOT take your letter, BUT you can explain the situation and have the VO enter it into the computer. Give the letter to your boyfriend. On rare occassions a VO will look atan evolution of relationship letter...a short one, that is. You did a good job, in a small written space ot describe your case here.

You don't have to do this right before the interview. It could be a couple of months ahead, if that is when you had a break,and you get another trip within the year before the interview.

Now, as far as "logically" speaking...you will be hard pressed to find logic from a DOS worker in Guangzhou. :o

As far as number of trips making much difference.....

I went over four times in a 9 month period and was there for the interview. Plus...even though I am just a lowly uneducated blue collar redneck one of my 3 years of tax returns given at the interview clearly showed that I paid $75,000 in income tax to the IRS and we still got an AP blue slip.....go figure. :D

Good luck to all of you looking towards that interview date. You will all be fine. ;) I know for us, even with a denial, life is happy...we will be living together soon. :D And THAT is what it's REALLY all about!!

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)