Tech support question

At the risk of being banned for life here, I'll take my chances with that off-subject post. Please do not respond here, but directly at eric@delarue.org

Any computer wizards out there who can advise me on how to home-network a Win2000 laptop and HomeXP desktop? I know K-1's ! But I'm sort of computer-configuration challenged..OK. I'm pretty much clueless.

If you want to help email me and I'll send you the spec . Thanks guys.

Eric,

No problem, don't worry we all post off topic every once and awhile. As long as you're not ranting and threatening others, I don't have a problem with the occasional random post. :lol:

In response to your question, I could probably help ... I have set up a home network so that I have a "staging environment" that mirrors the Candle for Love production site.

Don't buy a hub. If you are really good with software, you can use a hub, but if you want a quick network, buy a router. Hardware prices have plummeted like my tech stocks ... at this point a good router is only $10 more than a hub. You can get a good router for about $50 and it has all the firmware built in that you need so all you end up doing is plugging your computers into the back of it and boom you're good to go.

If you need any help please feel free to get in touch with me, you have my email address.

Thanks,

P.J.

Guest bbridges51

Go Wireless!!!

That's what I do. I"ve got my Win box connected to a wireless router which is connected to my dSL box. Then, both my Win and Mac laptops can connect to each other and share files...Heck, i'm watching football now as i type.

Brian

Eric,

I make a living working on computers, but still can’t quite figure out how to do home networking with Microsoft stuff. They made the trivial tasks very untrivial, such as DOS:) Hmm, did I heard that somewhere else?

If all you need is to share files, I suggest you simply buy a USB memory module (or the memory card from your digital camera, with a USB reader) , then use it to transfer files as you would with floppy disks. These memory cards are normally 64MB+, enough for almost any kind of file transfer.

OK, here is the real deal, in plan English, or so I hope.

For most people, home networking only means file sharing, unless you want to play Doom on two computers across the room. Well, perhaps Eric and Yuhui will, in a few days

If file sharing is not sufficient, I am afraid we have to speak Microsoftish, a.k.a. language by Monopolist. The way it goes, Microsopftish will be above the country in a few years.