Cleaning up Beijing.....

http://www.enn.com/pollution/article/37808

Most Chinese air pollution standards are outside World Health Organization guidelines. Moreover, experts say that the pollution index China uses to tell ordinary citizens whether the air is safe -- a "blue sky" day -- is seriously flawed.

This was a link on one of my finance web sites. There are a few more links on the topic within the link posted above.

As far as China's air pollution getting better, don't forget that China and India have 850 more coal-fired power plants being built in the next few years. That certainly doesn't bode well for many 'blue sky' days ahead.

China is now going through the industrial growth cycle that the US went through between 1900 ~ 1980. That requires a lot of cheap energy and cheap energy isn't clean or green. To think the they will forgo growth for the environment is wishful thinking. Yes, they will take some steps, but growth will win out. One the populace gets a taste of the 'better life' known in the industrialized western countries, the trend is quite clear.

They need to invest in more of those garbage fueled power plants. I hear they do very well, and are much more green... if that could be possible.

http://www.china.org.cn/english/2003/Feb/56309.htm

http://www.lifeofguangzhou.com/node_10/nod...284228890.shtml

Maybe it just isn't economical enough...

Hell the US needs to build a few of these to help with our own waste problems that we generate on a daily basis. I remember several years back hearing about this type of technology and wondered then why we didn't build these types of plants.

Yeah, they have some as well, but Green Peace isn't very happy that we build them.

That make no sense at all, but at time Green Peace doesn't make sense anyways..... They should be happy if it really does cut down on the toxins..... Though I'm sure that they would rather see us go back to pre-industrial age..... Totally off the grid (ie: no grid)......

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So......A few updates on Beijing and the air quality...

I was there last friday to go to the canadian visa office..... The air was beautiful. The bluest skies I have ever seen in Beijing. It was the first time in China (Not including Hong Kong) that I have ever seen skies like that.

I returned today/yesterday to leave.....wow what a difference. Today was hazy and smoggy. About 1 minute after takeoff I could no longer see the gound.

I guess that this just shows that the weather makes more of a difference for the air quality than anything. It rained last Thursday(the day before I went) and cleaned it up. By today the heat and humidity brought the smog back.

On another note, I do believe that the people of China feel that polution is an issue. They want cleaner air. The government of China will work on it. Will it happen over night? No way! In our lifetimes.....maybe. But it will happen. It would be impossible for Beijing to continue doing the same things after the olympics. Hopefully the pride of the Chinese will continue to drive them to improve on the pollution issue though.

Joshua