Good Books of China

I am really enjoying "The Chinese have a word for it." Well writtren and enjoyable.

That was my Bible when I lived in China. Probably saved my life a few times! :lol:

Steve, here, turned me to this book.. but I personally didn't like it... I've written here in the past about it so won't repeat it.

I think asking about books of china is similar to asking 'what is dao'... if someone say it is a philosophy [only], they have very little understanding of it... it encompasses so much more since it predates it's philosophical side.

I approach studying about china in the same way; diversify yourself.

- The Chinese Mind (old but good)

- A short history of Chinese philosophy (Yu Lan Feng)

- A daoist theory of chinese thought (caused a hugh academic debate)

- The Three character canon (see how so little can say so much)

- 100 Pearls of chinese wisdom (also is the 100 idioms)

- Poetry: I have my favorites and like David Hinton's translations but if you at least stick to Song and Tany dynasty you will find most of the classics. There is a CFL link for some classics.

- Ten chinese myths of the creation (really has about 100 stories in 10 categories)

- The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine (although it can be a dry read, if you ignore reading about traditional chinese medicine--TCM-- then you ignore a hugh historical part)

- Chinese foods for Longevity (must read something about Yin and Yang foods if you ignore the TCM)

- Chinese teaching books by Yong Ho; he brings the social and historical connections to words and manners.

- Movies; Just too many... just watch them for social and historical value.

- some book on tai ji or gi gong or else you miss out on another important historical part [about qi].

Here is one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416N6SJCZBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Have-Word-Co...t/dp/0658010786

OR

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yxs9e60NL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/China-Culture-Smart-...e/dp/1857333047

A few notes, when in China don't discuss politics, and religion in public.

Just got these 2 books from amazon.com. So far they are great and have a lot of very useful information in them. :lol:

Guest WenDylan

I know this thread is on Culture and History books... but I thought I would just throw out the book I am using. It is great for anyone learning Mandarin... because although tones are important, I think the way a child and the way an adult tackle learning a language (or second language) is very different. It's called Urban Chinese. This book is fantastic for the adult learning Mandarin, and it has a section that relates language to historical facts, as well as Chinese tradition and folk-lore. It explains a lot of saying and explains it easily for any foreigner to understand, and use the knowledge appropriately. Actually I think a lot of things are humorous and it is made that way intentionally because to share life, is to laugh and love it! It is written by a very good source, the Beijing Language & Culture University.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/e5/b8/efac228348a020b4a4d2f010.L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Chinese-Mandar...5151&sr=1-3

I have a newer version than the photo that is a different color, but I'm sure the context is the same, and maybe even updated a little! :D

I am really enjoying "The Chinese have a word for it." Well writtren and enjoyable.

That was my Bible when I lived in China. Probably saved my life a few times! :rolleyes:

Steve, here, turned me to this book.. but I personally didn't like it... I've written here in the past about it so won't repeat it.

I think asking about books of china is similar to asking 'what is dao'... if someone say it is a philosophy [only], they have very little understanding of it... it encompasses so much more since it predates it's philosophical side.

I approach studying about china in the same way; diversify yourself.

- The Chinese Mind (old but good)

- A short history of Chinese philosophy (Yu Lan Feng)

- A daoist theory of chinese thought (caused a hugh academic debate)

- The Three character canon (see how so little can say so much)

- 100 Pearls of chinese wisdom (also is the 100 idioms)

- Poetry: I have my favorites and like David Hinton's translations but if you at least stick to Song and Tany dynasty you will find most of the classics. There is a CFL link for some classics.

- Ten chinese myths of the creation (really has about 100 stories in 10 categories)

- The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine (although it can be a dry read, if you ignore reading about traditional chinese medicine--TCM-- then you ignore a hugh historical part)

- Chinese foods for Longevity (must read something about Yin and Yang foods if you ignore the TCM)

- Chinese teaching books by Yong Ho; he brings the social and historical connections to words and manners.

- Movies; Just too many... just watch them for social and historical value.

- some book on tai ji or gi gong or else you miss out on another important historical part [about qi].

"100 Pearls of Chinese Wisdom" is one of my favorites. These idioms contain the Chinese characters with pinyin and English translation.

One of lao po's favorite is:

"ren wu wanren jin wu zuchi"

"It is as impossible to find a perfect man as it is to find 100 percent pure gold."

When you tire of reading the hard core books that take you where you want to go with your knowledge, you can learn a few things when reading fiction written by Chinese (or part Chinese) authors who include Chinese history and culture in their books.

I suggest Ha Jin, Amy Tan, and Lisa See for your consideration. I would start with "Waiting," "The Joy Luck Club," and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan."

• 3 weeks later...

River Town by Peter Hessler

Chinese Lessons by John Pomfret

Wild Swans by Jung Chang

Mao:The Unknown Story by Jung Chang

Out of Mao's Shadow by Philip Pan

Hope that helps! Every western spouse here should read those books.