Oh, the rice gruel.

The first time I hit on that, all I could think to say was, "You call this "Slop"? This isn't slop. Real slop has chunks of things in it. You must have made pasty gruel by mistake!"

She didn't understand what I said exactly, but she figured out that the rice gruel wasn't a hit. For a while, she thought I didn't like rice at all, but I've shown her that I don't really mind the white stuff. I even caught her interest by adding a little Indian curry powder and chili powder to the rice one night. She tried it and loved it so much that she makes it too sometimes.

Speaking on the matter, I was once in the office when we were deciding what to do for lunch. One person suggested hitting the local Chinese buffet for something quick and cheap. A coworker of ours who fancied himself as cosmopolitan despite having never even made it to Mexico piped up and said, "I don't want to go there. That's too American-ized. That's not real Chinese food."

I responded, "Real Chinese food is rice gruel, pickled radishes, and chicken's feet. You wanna eat that stuff, Tough Guy? No? How about some steamed cabbage with silkworm cocoons? Will that do it for ya?"

He acquiesced to the buffet.

Edited by Minister (see edit history)
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WenDylan

Speaking on the matter, I was once in the office when we were deciding what to do for lunch. One person suggested hitting the local Chinese buffet for something quick and cheap. A coworker of ours who fancied himself as cosmopolitan despite having never even made it to Mexico piped up and said, "I don't want to go there. That's too American-ized. That's not real Chinese food."

I responded, "Real Chinese food is rice gruel, pickled radishes, and chicken's feet. You wanna eat that stuff, Tough Guy? No? How about some steamed cabbage with silkworm cocoons? Will that do it for ya?"

He acquiesced to the buffet.

:lol:

The silkworm cocoons were the only things that I didn't eat in China. The conversation went like this.

Me: Oh. No, thank you.

Sweetie: They're delicious!

Me: Maybe so. And maybe plumber's putty is also delicious. But I'll never know.

Sweetie: But it's got a lot of protein!

Me: You didn't fall for that so what makes you think I will?

Next trip, she's promised to take me to a special restaurant where they only serve fish heads.

"Look! He's smilin' at ya! He's happy to see ya!"

Guest WenDylan

The silkworm cocoons were the only things that I didn't eat in China. The conversation went like this.

Me: Oh. No, thank you.

Sweetie: They're delicious!

Me: Maybe so. And maybe plumber's putty is also delicious. But I'll never know.

Sweetie: But it's got a lot of protein!

Me: You didn't fall for that so what makes you think I will?

Next trip, she's promised to take me to a special restaurant where they only serve fish heads.

"Look! He's smilin' at ya! He's happy to see ya!"

I attempted to eat everything I could without asking what it was. Within the week I got up the guts to ask what was going in my mouth... and to my surprise, I was eating pig hearts. That really didn't bother me, as much as I started to wonder "My God! What other things have I been eating?" After that, I felt real ill and the next day I wasn't hungry, and I began to feel really sick. That is, until I walked to McDonald's and got a spicy fried chicken sand which with fries and a chocolate shake. Then I was much better. I found that I can handle a lot more strange things, if I mix in my regular stuff as well. All strange things does strange things to my body; i.e. makes me get sick. :unsure:

Guest WenDylan

The one good thing I really like about Wendy, is that she doesn't push to many things on me, and in fact she really likes steak, as well as other things like pizza and many American favorites which are all too common here. Which is great because you can sure get a good steak in Oklahoma, and I think when she has a real steak, and not one of those fake Chinese steaks she will be in for a real shocker. :D That means minimal gruel for me, or wet rice. (I really don't like wet rice... :unsure: )

Oh! That's a great! If she doesn't get indigestion from eating meat in steak form, my guess is that she will be ready to rock and roll when she gets to the USA and starts enjoying our food!

One of my wife's chief complaints is that the large, basically "unprepared" meat that we eat is difficult for her to digest. As she puts it, "Asian food is very soft. It doesn't make the stomach work so hard. Even the meat we eat is carefully prepared to be small and tender. And we always use soup to improve digestion." My counter argument that, "Meat puts hair on your chest," has not been well received, despite the fact that my chest provides a squirrel's nest of evidence to support the statement.

If your girl has a stomach that can handle it, she will probably be rather adventurous with American food.

And boy, an Oklahoma steak is sure a fine welcome to American cooking... mmm... steak...

And it's so true about the Chinese meat. My in-laws' comments about American meat (translated from the Chinese):

Mom: Look at this ham! There's no water in this ham! It doesn't shrink, no matter how long it's outside the package!

Dad: Inside an American sausage, you see meat, juice, and spices! Inside a Chinese sausage, you see potato powder...

Guest WenDylan

I think I rubbed a little too much American food tastes off on her actually. I joke that she might start getting fat like most American's as well, seeing how she will get a pizza now anytime she can.

I think that you provide a good point that our bodies are designed to gain acceptance to the normal foods we eat. I can handle it, and perhaps she can too for a little or so, but always she will have to prepare her Chinese home cooking I can guarantee. I don't have a problem with it, because I am rather frank when she cooks something I don't eat. I tell her straight and though at first she was angry, she is more accepting now. I am happy that she cooks whatever she desires to eat, if I won't eat it, she won't ask me to and instead I will add things to my plate like fruits and vegetables that will fill me up. I suppose the same goes for her, but I seem to be the only one that won't eat things. Wendy has quite the nack for trying everything at least once, and then she wants to cook as well.

Hello Minister, nice to cyber-meet you,

Maybe you and your wife could consider taking an adult education Chinese cooking class together, all for the purpose of getting out and having some fun together. You may get big brownie points for showing and interest in Chinese cooking, she could expand her experiences with new dishes and the whole thing is done at a third party location taking the pressure out of your kitchen. If she really enjoys it maybe you can try a French or Mexican cooking class just to spice things up a bit!

I have it a little easier than most of the guys here seem to have it. I've been vegetarian for over 23 years, have a very clean diet for the most part although chocolate and Chicago deep dish pizza I will never pass on. I love Chinese food, even when I'm in China, and have eaten everything put in front of me with the exception of beef, pork or foul. My sweet fiancee Haiqing is a fabulous cook and the only times we saw the inside of a MacDonald's or Pizza Hut was because either she or her son wanted to go there ... not me! She makes numerous types of dishes and amazed me with fresh homemade fish dumplings for Chinese New Years ... they were fantastic! I actually put on a little weight while I was with her for four months.

I even enjoy the wet rice/gruel/congee because she prepares it in several different ways and you know what, your wife is right, aside from the salt a Chinese diet is much healthier for you so if you can slowly become accustomed to it you are actually doing yourself a good thing. Like most Chinese people, my sweet Haiqing does not like things too sweet and prefers salty food. I explained to her how the salt was not good for me because when I go to Tae Kwon Do I can actually feel it in my joints ... if I've eaten something salty it feels as if I have sand in my joints that night so my sweet Haiqing cut way back on the salt and found that she likes it that way just fine.

Ah yes, fish head soup, had it several times. Actually fish head soup is considered a delicacy and my sweet Haiqing tells me that a good fish head costs more than the rest of the entire fish! Eating the brains will make you intelligent, eating the eyes will give you good vision ... I have eaten both and would say that I didn't notice any immediate results (except being a little creeped about eating the eyeballs) ... perhaps I haven't eaten enough for the benefits to take effect but I'm sure I'll have plenty more opportunities when my sweet Haiqing gets here. She tells me that many Chinese foods have a purpose, if you want to be happy, you eat this, if you want to be smart, you eat this, if you want to be a better lover, you eat this ... ask your wife to tell you the purpose of some of the foods, she may be surprised you ask!

The thing I like to remember is that life is an experiment ... so experiment and enjoy it!

I told my sweet Haiqing that if I come to China expecting it to be like the USA that I will be very disappointed, but if I can go to China understanding that it will be different and enjoy those differences then I will have a wonderful time, and I told her if she come to the USA expecting it to be like China she will be very disappointed too, but if she can come to the USA understanding that it will be different and enjoy those differences then she too will have a wonderful time here. She is very intelligent, curious, witty and excited about coming here to be with me so I'm sure that will go a long way towards making her adjustment a little smoother.

BTW, I love your tomatoes Dylan! I used to grow tomatoes in five gallon pots in California and one year they were eight feet tall!

Best to all,

Bob

Guest WenDylan

I told my sweet Haiqing that if I come to China expecting it to be like the USA that I will be very disappointed, but if I can go to China understanding that it will be different and enjoy those differences then I will have a wonderful time, and I told her if she come to the USA expecting it to be like China she will be very disappointed too, but if she can come to the USA understanding that it will be different and enjoy those differences then she too will have a wonderful time here. She is very intelligent, curious, witty and excited about coming here to be with me so I'm sure that will go a long way towards making her adjustment a little smoother.

BTW, I love your tomatoes Dylan! I used to grow tomatoes in five gallon pots in California and one year they were eight feet tall!

Best to all,

Bob

Thanks. I think you put it very perfect right here. That is exactly how I anticipated my trip as well as her arrival here. I think that's what I like best about such a relationship, is that at home, it isn't just 1 thing, it is a mix of both worlds, in so many different ways!

The sun is tending to bake my tomato plants, however I haven't had any bugs or birds eat my harvest this year. Knock on wood. :D

Best to all,

Bob

Thanks. I think you put it very perfect right here. That is exactly how I anticipated my trip as well as her arrival here. I think that's what I like best about such a relationship, is that at home, it isn't just 1 thing, it is a mix of both worlds, in so many different ways!

The sun is tending to bake my tomato plants, however I haven't had any bugs or birds eat my harvest this year. Knock on wood. :huh:

You hit the nail right on the head Dylan, it's a mix of both worlds!

It is critically important to me to create an environment where my sweet Haiqing feels absolutely comfortable to do anything that is important to her. I have told her that it's not about "a right way or a wrong way" ... it's just a different way and different is ok. I told her that our home can be a mix of east and west, American and Chinese, put together in a way that creates a loving environment that we will always enjoy being together in. It is not important whether anyone else understands it or not, it is only important that the mix works for us!

On the other subject: Can you get a little of that shade screen to put over your tomatoes? This time of year the sun will cook em! If you want drop me a pm and I'll give you some tips I learned dealing with the California sun which can be brutal at times.

Best of luck,

Bob

Guest WenDylan
You hit the nail right on the head Dylan, it's a mix of both worlds!

It is critically important to me to create an environment where my sweet Haiqing feels absolutely comfortable to do anything that is important to her. I have told her that it's not about "a right way or a wrong way" ... it's just a different way and different is ok. I told her that our home can be a mix of east and west, American and Chinese, put together in a way that creates a loving environment that we will always enjoy being together in. It is not important whether anyone else understands it or not, it is only important that the mix works for us!

On the other subject: Can you get a little of that shade screen to put over your tomatoes? This time of year the sun will cook em! If you want drop me a pm and I'll give you some tips I learned dealing with the California sun which can be brutal at times.

Best of luck,

Bob

Our home casts a good shadow after the sun, so it's not sunlight that seems to be a problem, just the heat sometimes. They are soaking in water now even with the temperatures, they are very delicious. So in the end, I think everything is working out good. I suppose that is just the nature of the beast when it comes to gardening, however I am no pro. Everyone here tends to monitor what is going on with the garden, and even the flowers as well. On the other hand, I am not too concerned with the eggplant bushes. Yuck, those things can die for all I care... but they never do. :huh:

http://a680.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/119/l_5551f7f61ff580130d0fcae40bd231c7.jpg

http://a340.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/16/l_4ba636e6686c45e2ea5a49681591774b.jpg

http://a451.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/106/l_c1a923110984272e1bae1afa88e657aa.jpg

http://a277.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/116/l_0893de0ce3c2f16474867868f0d3a8ac.jpg

http://a854.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/71/l_20df71e8be8b5b817755fb0518b4aa7d.jpg

Guest WenDylan

What are those flowers called?

I think it is called a passion flower. It's some kind of wild flower that started growing on my fence. How strange, especially for Oklahoma, eh? I'll go take some more pictures later if there's some new blooms.

Our home casts a good shadow after the sun, so it's not sunlight that seems to be a problem, just the heat sometimes. They are soaking in water now even with the temperatures, they are very delicious. So in the end, I think everything is working out good. I suppose that is just the nature of the beast when it comes to gardening, however I am no pro. Everyone here tends to monitor what is going on with the garden, and even the flowers as well. On the other hand, I am not too concerned with the eggplant bushes. Yuck, those things can die for all I care... but they never do. :P

http://a680.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/119/l_5551f7f61ff580130d0fcae40bd231c7.jpg

Hey Dylan,

One word ... soil ... try making your own compost and mixing it about 50/50 with potting soil, holds more moisture than potting soil alone. I used to have tomato plants that I would only water once every 4 or 5 days in 100 degree California heat.

Let the eggplants die!!! What is this world coming to? I just love a good eggplant parmesan, I need to learn how to make it so I can show my sweet fiancee Haiqing. I hope she'll like it too ... the cheese, the olive oil, the eggplant, the garlic ... gotta run, I'm hungry now!

Best to all,

Bob