To visadelays.com team

Hi guys,

Well, as you mentioned a while back, we're all in this together, and all of us are contributing our various skills and resources to resolving the visa delay problem in China.

It occurred to me recently that there is a high demand for pictures in the group.

However, as you know, server space is limited. I would have space to host quite a number of pictures, but since just like you I am not making any money running this site, I would not be able to buy additional server space to host everyone's pictures.

Sooo, why don't we work together, those of us who own/rent server space? For those who would be interested in helping out, please reply and let me know, and I can start drafting an architecture.

Okay, the following is for the software engineers and programmers in our group (WARNING ... computer nerd dialog beyond this sign):

=========

I know that everyone uses different technologies (personally I am inclined toward JSPs/servlets and do not even know how to write an ASP), but we could define a set of standards.

- all photos would exist under a certain directory and with a certain naming convention.

The photos could exist under http://<hosting site>/images/families/

Each photo would have a filename of: Site Unique identifier + photo unique identifier + photo number + "extension"

For example if I were the 10th person to upload a series of JPEGs to Candle, my photos would be named:

CFL_10_001.jpg

CFL_10_002.jpg

We could allow people to add descriptions to their pictures by including in this directory some sort of meta descriptor or XML document.

- all sites would be able to provide a photo album application by displaying not only the photos they host, but the photos on the other sites as well. The pictures would be there, the XML documents would be there, all your application would require is a list of servers on the team and it could link over to those photos.

=========

Thanks, team!

P.J.

Mark,

Great, thanks!

I think the great thing about the concept of sharing server space and standards is that as long as everyone follows the same conventions, it can be as automated (ASP upload application, automatic storage of file, update XML file, front-end "photo album" application) or manual (everyone sends you pictures, you rename files and upload them by hand) as you wish.

Thanks,

P.J.

Mark,

Great, thanks! 

I think the great thing about the concept of sharing server space and standards is that as long as everyone follows the same conventions, it can be as automated (ASP upload application, automatic storage of file, update XML file, front-end "photo album" application) or manual (everyone sends you pictures, you rename files and upload them by hand) as you wish.

Thanks,

P.J.

Ill talk to KandY to see if he can help me with this

Cool, thanks Mark and KandY.

I will begin drafting the standards/architecture document for this. Both Candle and visadelays.com will be able to store and display photos from each others' servers as well as anyone else who would like to contribute server space to a photo album. Once it is complete, we can tell people that they may email photos to either you or myself and we can share the server burden of hosting photos.

Also, if anyone else with server space would like to be involved, please contact me.

Thanks,

P.J. :ph34r:

Just saw this as i was sick yesterday (feel bad for KandY!)...

visadelays.com is hosted at my company, therefore, i own the server space, therefore we have as much as needed :o

If you can explain to me exactly what you want to provide as far as the pictures, I will write it myself post haste.

We use ASP and Sql Server exclusively, so I can provide whatever the group needs. Just let me know :D

KandY,

Wonderful!! Sounds like you and the visadelays project can be a tremendous help! So you have your own company that's hosting visadelays? Very impressive!

I am attempting to draft an architecture/design document right now for storing the pictures on different servers under a pre-defined layout and with pre-defined file naming conventions. An XML document would be used to add couples' names and descriptions to the photos.

My plan was to allow all cooperating websites such as visadelays and this one (and people's individual homepages) to either

1. link to the pictures or

2. write applications that display the pictures in a photo album format

That's cool that you guys use ASP and SQL server. Personally, I am the JSP/mySQL sort myself. But if we come up with a common architecture and standards, you could write a photo album app in ASP and host it on visadelays, giving it whatever custom look and feel you wanted, and I could write one here on Candle using JSP/servlets/mySQL.

I should have the architecture/design done by midway through this week. I'll get in touch with you.

Thank you again for your offer to help! We really appreciate it!!! :P :D :o

P.J.

Just saw this as i was sick yesterday (feel bad for KandY!)...

visadelays.com is hosted at my company, therefore, i own the server space, therefore we have as much as needed :o

If you can explain to me exactly what you want to provide as far as the pictures, I will write it myself post haste.

We use ASP and Sql Server exclusively, so I can provide whatever the group needs.  Just let me know :D

I also have some space K,

If you want to save some bandwidth.