Hello all,

I was wondering what to do about the receipts from China both on my last visit and my up come visit.

What I would like to know is....would photo copies of all the receipts be OK or do you think they want the original receipts ??

Just inquiring , as I have all my receipts stapled to sheets of paper and it is starting to get bulky.... :D :(

Tom and Ling

Hello all,

I was wondering what to do about the receipts from China both on my last visit and my up come visit.

What I would like to know is....would photo copies of all the receipts be OK or do you think they want the original receipts ??

Just inquiring , as I have all my receipts stapled to sheets of paper and it is starting to get bulky.... :D :(

Tom and Ling

I believe copies will be fine as long as you have the originals to begin with.

If you are refering to what you submit to USCIS.

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

The only receipt-like documentation we had was airline boarding passes and entry-exit visas ... I figure that proved that I went to China, when, and for how long.

The time together in China was documented with lots of photos of us together and with the family.

Every thing was scanned or digital to start with and printed on plain paper with captions.

Worked for us ... I have a hard time seeing train tickets and hotel receipts as being important ... but with GZ you never know.

The only receipt-like documentation we had was airline boarding passes and entry-exit visas ... I figure that proved that I went to China, when, and for how long.

The time together in China was documented with lots of photos of us together and with the family.

Every thing was scanned or digital to start with and printed on plain paper with captions.

Worked for us ... I have a hard time seeing train tickets and hotel receipts as being important ... but with GZ you never know.

Like Jim, the only documentation I provided was scanned boarding passes and entry/exit visa stamps. I have never saved any hotel or other invoices

Guest WenDylan

I saved some receipts. I simply photocopied (black and white from my office) certain items, then wrote with a red marker (pointing to and explaining) what each receipt was and what event it played in our relationship. Some receipts are used to prove the evolution of relationship, and some provide for the ongoing relationship.

I saved all the originals in a folder, however just for uniformity everything is organized as the photocopied documents.

I of course printed the airline tickets, itinerary and other travel related documents. However also included are the receipts (and photos) for our engagement rings from an HK jewlery store found only in China. I have some movie tickets and used vouchers from rides we went on, and even ATM receipts from my goings around town from week to week. Just to show my card was being used by me, and my pin number while staying in GZ. I don't know what is good or what is not, so I included just what I thought would be meaningful to anyone evaluating our case.

I had no proof of any hotel, since she lives in GZ and we stayed either together there, or with her parents an hour and a half outside of Nanning. I would include those it if I had a hotel though.

Maybe I had some other things as well, but I forget now. I have been at work for way too long. I need a nap. Hooray for shift change in 45 minutes!

Guest Rob & Jin

unfortunatly receipts without your name on are meaningless. The only receipts we took were boarding passes,trains & hotels and sorted them by visit.

Although its tempting to save everything IMHO its worthless if it doesnt clearly relate to a visit and supported by other evidence ie..passport stamps and visas.

Normal receipts just show something was bought on such a day, but not by whom. Iv'e never heard of VO's asking to see such stuff (Randy will correct me if wrong).

IMO try and stay away from bulking your files up with "junk" just makes it more difficult for the applicant to retrieve the good stuff on the day.

Guest WenDylan

unfortunatly receipts without your name on are meaningless. The only receipts we took were boarding passes,trains & hotels and sorted them by visit.

Although its tempting to save everything IMHO its worthless if it doesnt clearly relate to a visit and supported by other evidence ie..passport stamps and visas.

Normal receipts just show something was bought on such a day, but not by whom. Iv'e never heard of VO's asking to see such stuff (Randy will correct me if wrong).

IMO try and stay away from bulking your files up with "junk" just makes it more difficult for the applicant to retrieve the good stuff on the day.

I agree, I kept it very very simple, organized, and as condesed as possible to eliminate putting too much icing on the cake. Just enough, and just the right things are needed to fulfill this requirement by the VO. Likely you won't even be asked for anything once you get passed the first steps. (From my limited reading and communication that is.)

The one idea we pursued while getting our rings was having each other's name engraved inside the rings. So my name is written by me, on the jewelry shop deposit slip, where her ring was purchased and vice versa. :lol:

Hello Tom,

I agree with Rob, any receipts that have your name on it are gold, the rest only add fat and no muscle to your package. Anyone can pick up old train tickets off the floor at any train station in China.

Passport visa stamps, airline tickets/boarding passes with your names on them or credit card purchase receipts with your credit card number and/or name on them like hotel receipts or like Dylan mentioned engagement and/or wedding rings purchased at a Chinese jewelry store with your credit card number or pictures of engraved wedding rings with your names in them are all valuable proof and should be kept and well organized.

These are the things we included in our package. All the taxi, bus and train receipts stayed home with the restaurant receipts paid for with cash (no credit card number).

We sent copies of the original with our package. What I have been doing is to scan all appropriate items that need to be saved as pdf files in my laptop, I then print a copy of the pdf file to send in any packages. I make a backup copy of all important items from my laptop to an external hard drive just in case and also give a copy of all the pdf files to my sweet fianc¨¦e Haiqing for her to keep handy on her computer in China. All original are kept in a plastic folder and the really important originals are kept in my safe. I'll take them with me when I go to China again so I have all originals there just in case we need any of them.

Best of luck,

Bob

Hi Bob,

You and everyone else have given good advice and what I have done is photo copied groups and I will take the originals with me to her interview. I have a charge for her wedding ring on my visa and have written that that is what the charge was for ,but the receipt for the ring is with my wife (I think.... :yikes: ) so when I visit in September I will ask her if she has it.

Tom and Ling

Hello Tom,

I agree with Rob, any receipts that have your name on it are gold, the rest only add fat and no muscle to your package. Anyone can pick up old train tickets off the floor at any train station in China.

Passport visa stamps, airline tickets/boarding passes with your names on them or credit card purchase receipts with your credit card number and/or name on them like hotel receipts or like Dylan mentioned engagement and/or wedding rings purchased at a Chinese jewelry store with your credit card number or pictures of engraved wedding rings with your names in them are all valuable proof and should be kept and well organized.

These are the things we included in our package. All the taxi, bus and train receipts stayed home with the restaurant receipts paid for with cash (no credit card number).

We sent copies of the original with our package. What I have been doing is to scan all appropriate items that need to be saved as pdf files in my laptop, I then print a copy of the pdf file to send in any packages. I make a backup copy of all important items from my laptop to an external hard drive just in case and also give a copy of all the pdf files to my sweet fianc¨¦e Haiqing for her to keep handy on her computer in China. All original are kept in a plastic folder and the really important originals are kept in my safe. I'll take them with me when I go to China again so I have all originals there just in case we need any of them.

Best of luck,

Bob