Filing For Citizenship

wow!

so 3 years after she gets her 10 year minus 90 days she can apply for citizenship?

That's 3 years after ANY green card.

now im really confused. :huh:

basically how long do you wait after you receive the non conditional 10 year green card before you can apply for citizenship if you bypassed the 2 year conditional due to shes been married for over 2 years.

You are an LPR (legal permanent resident) when you get your green card.

It doesn't matter whether it's a 10 year card or a 2 year card.

3 years (minus 90 days) after you become an LPR you may apply for citizenship.

3 years.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife was stressed out thinking her English wasn't good enough to pass. I gave her a lot of reassurance that the test is very easy and they don't expect her to be completely fluent. Only being able to read write and speak basic English is required.

Look on her green card. There is a "resident since' date. Three years minus 90 days from that date is when she becomes eligible to apply for citizenship. Pinned at the top of this forum are several links for information and study material for the exam. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31260

If she applies before Oct 1 this year and her interview is after Oct 1 she can choose which test to take. If she applies after Oct. 1 she must take the new test.

Which one would you reccomend. It just so happens my degrees are in History and Social Sciences so I would have no trouble getting Ying ready for either one, but I want her do whatever one is best for her.

I haven't studied the new test but I have heard it is slightly more difficult. We planned all along to take the old test because the study material was more readily available and we hoped that the appointment would be before October. Everything you need for study materials is in the links at the begining of this forum. The examiner didn't vary from the study materials at all.

One thing I am looking for is a list of documents you can submit with the N-400 as additional evidence. If anybody has a suggestive list I would be grateful as I am sure others would be.

Here is a copy of the cover letter I sent with the N-400 which lists all the documents we sent.

good luck

8/18/2008

USCIS Nebraska Service Center

PO Box 87751 Lincoln, Ne 68501-7751

RE: N-400 Application for Naturalization

Bing X XXXXXXXX A # XXX-XXX-XXX

Dear USCIS examiner:

Enclosed please find an N-400 Application for Naturalization. Please also find a check for $675.00, the fees for this form and Biometrics.

I have been a continuous resident since Oct 12th 2004. I am still happily married to the same US citizen since June 1st,, 2004 and we are still living together.

Enclosed also please find the following documents to verify my eligibility, the status of our marriage and ongoing relationship:

• Copy of a certified copy of our marriage license.

• Copy of my passport

• Copy of both sides of my green card

• Copy of both sides of my Social Security card

• Copy of welcome letter for the construction loan on our new house showing joint ownership.

• Copy of Notice of Transfer for our mortgage showing joint ownership.

• Copy of recent bank statement which we received for our joint account at US Bank.

• Transcripts of our joint US tax returns for 2004, 2005 and 2006

• Copies of my husband’s birth certificate and passport.

• Copy of my husband’s divorce decree from prior marriage.

• Copy of notarial translation of my divorce decree from prior marriage

• Copy of notarial translation of my birth certificate.

You may feel free to inquire at any of the sources of enclosed documentation for validity of their statements, and you are always welcome to visit our home should you ever desire to do so. Please advise me if you have any further questions or problems related to this petition.

Sincerely,

Bing H. XXXXXXXX

XXXX SE XXth Ave

Portland, Or. 97206

503 XXX XXXX

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

One thing I am looking for is a list of documents you can submit with the N-400 as additional evidence. If anybody has a suggestive list I would be grateful as I am sure others would be.

Here is a copy of the cover letter I sent with the N-400 which lists all the documents we sent.

good luck

8/18/2008

USCIS Nebraska Service Center

PO Box 87751 Lincoln, Ne 68501-7751

RE: N-400 Application for Naturalization

Bing X XXXXXXXX A # XXX-XXX-XXX

Dear USCIS examiner:

Enclosed please find an N-400 Application for Naturalization. Please also find a check for $675.00, the fees for this form and Biometrics.

I have been a continuous resident since Oct 12th 2004. I am still happily married to the same US citizen since June 1st,, 2004 and we are still living together.

Enclosed also please find the following documents to verify my eligibility, the status of our marriage and ongoing relationship:

• Copy of a certified copy of our marriage license.

• Copy of my passport

• Copy of both sides of my green card

• Copy of both sides of my Social Security card

• Copy of welcome letter for the construction loan on our new house showing joint ownership.

• Copy of Notice of Transfer for our mortgage showing joint ownership.

• Copy of recent bank statement which we received for our joint account at US Bank.

• Transcripts of our joint US tax returns for 2004, 2005 and 2006

• Copies of my husband¡¯s birth certificate and passport.

• Copy of my husband¡¯s divorce decree from prior marriage.

• Copy of notarial translation of my divorce decree from prior marriage

• Copy of notarial translation of my birth certificate.

You may feel free to inquire at any of the sources of enclosed documentation for validity of their statements, and you are always welcome to visit our home should you ever desire to do so. Please advise me if you have any further questions or problems related to this petition.

Sincerely,

Bing H. XXXXXXXX

XXXX SE XXth Ave

Portland, Or. 97206

503 XXX XXXX

I understand a cover letter is important but is it necessary to send all of these documents along with your application?

Maybe not all of them but one of the requirements for being able to file after 3 years of residency instead of 5 is being married to the same US citizen for three years. I submitted enough evidence to show that.

I am mailing my wife's N-400 and documentation today USPS priority mail, certified, return receipt. Her 3 year anniversary is December 21st. She was concerned about taking the old test which the deadline for submitting is October 1st, how do you know she is elgible does it state somewhere in writing from the USCIS or do you go by the receipt date? I did take your advice on the documentation and gave them everything they requested and more.

Maybe not all of them but one of the requirements for being able to file after 3 years of residency instead of 5 is being married to the same US citizen for three years. I submitted enough evidence to show that.

I am mailing my wife's N-400 and documentation today USPS priority mail, certified, return receipt. Her 3 year anniversary is December 21st. She was concerned about taking the old test which the deadline for submitting is October 1st, how do you know she is elgible does it state somewhere in writing from the USCIS or do you go by the receipt date? I did take your advice on the documentation and gave them everything they requested and more.

On the USCIS website it says if you file before Oct 1st 2008 and your interview is before Oct 1st 2009 you can take your choice.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

On the USCIS website it says if you file before Oct 1st 2008 and your interview is before Oct 1st 2009 you can take your choice.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

Were in California does anyone have an estimate on how long it is taking for the testing, I saw on the web site it takes 3-4 week for the FBI background check then the biometrics then they schedule your interview or test.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)