A story from an old CFL friend Orrin Young

It is an interesting comparison that in a dirt, poor city which relies more on relationships than money, I cannot get the spine doctor to accept any of my money; I teach his son english... nor the orthopedic doctor to take my money for the knee and back work; he has drained my knees a few times for free, which typically costs me $400 when I was in MA; and only $120 to a chinese doctor in FL... seems like it's all about who you know on some level... not only a cultural thing... bottom line: make more friends while in china... and based on some comments, I guess I won't see some of you in china when I retire ;)

Who you know I have heard is more important in China than many other things. This is somewhat the same way here in the US, but not totally the same. In China it seems to be that if you don't know the right people you can't start a business venture no matter how much money you have. Though this may be changing as they become more capitalistic in their ways.

Now as far as retiring to China I think I would still do it. As they say doctors differ patients die. That is why they call them Practicing Doctors.........

• 2 weeks later...

@Corbin,

You¡¯re right¡­ They¡¯ll keep on ¡°practicing¡±, and some day they might get it right.

Just an update for everyone; yes, I¡¯m doing exceptionally well. I¡¯m completely recovered from my illness (despite the best efforts of the local ¡°doctors¡±).

I begin my new university teaching job on September 1, and, I must say that, after laboring for 5 years in the Zhuhai and Zhongshan ¡°language mills¡± where 40% of my time was spent doing the ¡°dancing white monkey¡± bit, I¡¯ll finally be doing some real teaching.

For those of you who might want to get some realistic idea of what life is really like for ¡°expats¡± in the ¡°middle kingdom¡±, I invite you to join http://zhuhai.expat9.com, as well as www.eslcafe.com. I am a regular contributor on both of those sites, with a lot of posts and photos.

Cheers and beers to all of you. I hope to make contact with you soon.

Orrin

It is an interesting comparison that in a dirt, poor city which relies more on relationships than money, I cannot get the spine doctor to accept any of my money; I teach his son english... nor the orthopedic doctor to take my money for the knee and back work; he has drained my knees a few times for free, which typically costs me $400 when I was in MA; and only $120 to a chinese doctor in FL... seems like it's all about who you know on some level... not only a cultural thing... bottom line: make more friends while in china... and based on some comments, I guess I won't see some of you in china when I retire :)

Who you know I have heard is more important in China than many other things. This is somewhat the same way here in the US, but not totally the same. In China it seems to be that if you don't know the right people you can't start a business venture no matter how much money you have. Though this may be changing as they become more capitalistic in their ways.

Now as far as retiring to China I think I would still do it. As they say doctors differ patients die. That is why they call them Practicing Doctors.........

Good to see ya post again Orrin.

For some of us to continue our bona fide relationships with our Chinese wimmin, (bona fide relationships that were given to us by the feller up above, and tried to be denied by the DOS grocery clerks) we are being forced into the DOS's "Patriot Forced Relocation Program" and we must move to China. :sosad:

It's good to read your thoughts and experiences about life in China. I'll most likely move over later next year and might even become one of those "dancing white monkey's" at the end of some school administrator's short rope while I wait out a DCF (if we even care to make one) :P

Continued good luck to ya, I hope you will post some more here, and thanks for those links. When I get through with all the VA forms and seeing the soldier's rights activist lawyers, I'll start reading them to get more insight.

Sometimes, I have to laugh into this manicured wilderness, as I realize that my life is part of some Mel Brooks movie that was co-written by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. :P At least it's a comedy movie...I really like to laugh!!!

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)