Ok according to Visajourney.com http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide
on the checklist (Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist ) item #6
asked for Evidence of a bonafide marriage. At this time of the 6 items listed, we can only supply #5 (Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties...)
Question, is this enough? Why doesn't the marriage license trump everything else? I suppose if this is the only edvidence we can show then that is the bottom line.

After seeing these 6 listings, has anyone thought of something else that may qualify as evidence?

I suppose that the marriage license can be done by anyone and that is why it is not considered to be real evidence.

Richard

Ok according to Visajourney.com http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide

asked for Evidence of a bonafide marriage. At this time of the 6 items listed, we can only supply #5 (Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties...)

Question, is this enough? Why doesn't the marriage license trump everything else? I suppose if this is the only edvidence we can show then that is the bottom line.

After seeing these 6 listings, has anyone thought of something else that may qualify as evidence?

I suppose that the marriage license can be done by anyone and that is why it is not considered to be real evidence.

Richard

We will apply for our spouse visa but right now we want to make everything well without any errors. As far as I know, our marriage notarized paper work,email letters, photos, reciept of dimond ring, phone call list are enough. But according to visajoruney, we have to show other evidence. We need help?

Thanks,

Amanda

Guest Rob & Jin

put her name on your utility bills, if you can add her name to anything leased.

notarized translation of everthing up front.

tons of family photos, emails, screen shots, letters

life insurance with Amanda as the benificiary, etc......

Richard - some things you can do, in order of 'easy to hard'.

1. add her name to your utility bills

2. get her name on the lease or house deed.

3. have a joint bank account and give uscis a few copies of the statements.

3 is quite hard, depending on the bank and your relationship with them. By law, due to the Patriot Act, they aren't supposed to add her in without her being in front of them.

FWIW, you can get a joint bank account in China with HSBC, a Premiere Account, min to open is 100,000 RMB. But you two have to be standing in front of a bank officer to do this.

I tried to get this info to you when you were IN China - I just assume it got lost in the congratulatory responses.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

In my case, I did this when I applied...

In 11/2007, when I applied for CR1, I sent no supporting documents other than a translated and notarized marriage cert.

In 2/2008, when I applied for K3, this time, I sent e-mails, photos, marriage certs, and just a letter from my church member stating our marriage is true (letter not notarized). We got P2 in 05/2008. Prior to our P2, I called CSC (using REF trick), confirmed that our cases were under normal process, no additional documents required.

Not sure if I just got just lucky, but we didn't have to sent in other special documents to prove our marriage.

Good Luck!

Richard

I filed both the I-130 and then the I-129F for K-3 and K-4.

I received a lot of differing advice and was even ‘mocked’ by one member (over a year ago) for my approach on the ‘affidavits’ in item #5, when the changes on the I-130 first appeared.

However, here is how I did it and thank God, my wife had a 2.5 question, two minute interview, with only a brief glance at my I-134 form:

First, in my Table of Contents page, I outlined as a primary item, the Evidence of a bona fide marriage and then used sub-topics for the individual items.

a. Affidavits of my brother and close personal friend, affirming personal knowledge of the marital relationship.

b. Evolution of the relationship letter to the case file.

c. IRS 1040 form for the relative tax year, for USC and foreign spouse, including the W-2.

d. Signed form IRS W-7 for the relevant tax year.

e. My job (agency) notarized Enrollment Action Form for Medical Health Benefits for spouse and step-daughter; including copies of the actual Blue Cross member cards in each of their names.

f. Copy of my passport with entry and exit stamps for all visits to the PRC.

g. Copies of initial e-mail letters and also a sampling thereafter, between me and my spouse.

h. Copies of e-call China phone logs, showing the multiple calls daily, between me and my spouse from inception until time of filing both the I-130 and the I-129F (a sampling of calls for each of the months of the relationship).

I. Letter to the case file, outlining the timeline of my separation/divorce from my ex wife, meeting of my spouse, and our marriage.

j. Multiple, large easy to view, 8x10 photos of me and wife and daughter, from each of my trips, including our marriage in Guangzhou. (Note: I included about 36 photos with each petition, including a mix of family and friends with us, in addition to those of me Lao Po and daughter alone)

I also added another item; Miscellaneous items for the case file:

I included a photocopy of my CA Driver License.

My most recent direct-deposit pay warrant photo copy.

A letter from the director of my employing agency, stating that I had over 33 years of honorable service to my department and that I was currently in the management ranks of the agency.

I front-loaded the hell out of my petition, and even provided [originals] of the important notarized documents, e.g., the birth certificates, marriage certificate, passports for spouse and daughter, household registry book, etc, etc. Yes, I included crap they don't even ask for, but I thought was important to developing the investigative case file.

A marriage certificate alone, is not proof of a bona fide marriage and relationship in today's real world of high levels of marriage fraud originating out of the PRC.

I remember trying to defend my stance over a year ago, and some other members, in a very strident fashion, telling me I had my head up my a.., by giving them more than the minimum that they asked for and nothing more !!!

When they added the bona fides of marriage/relationship section for the I-130 early last year, I could 'sense' the sea-change in the approach of the USCIS and DOS to the process; this coupled with the admonishment in the USCIS on-line instructions, to include a "complete" package of information, as the case would be judged on what was presented !!!

Accordingly, I followed the little voice inside of me and also my career developed instincts in this regard. :lol:

I duplicated this information in both the I-129F and the I-130, even though it was not asked for in the I-129F.

I have always had very strong feelings on the approach to this process, based on my life experience and a lot of reading of post interview reports herein.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

For the marriage certificate is a copy of my red book enough? Should it be translated and will I need a copy of her book as well?

Both red books are not necessary. When my wife and I went to the Notary Public office in downtown Guangzhou, they pulled all the info up on their public record computer, from her info/data, and then they produced the separate notary document which certified our marriage as well as translated the Chinese into English, as required by USCIS/DOS.

We purchased several copies of the notarized marriage certificate, as I included the originals (not required) with each of my I-130 and I-129F petitions for spouse and daughter, and then another copy at interview time, relative to the P-4 requirements.

Congratulations on your recent marriage, in China !!!

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...

Richard

We will apply for our spouse visa but right now we want to make everything well without any errors. As far as I know, our marriage notarized paper work,email letters, photos, reciept of dimond ring, phone call list are enough. But according to visajoruney, we have to show other evidence. We need help?

Thanks,

Amanda

I am little confused. Do I summit "Evidence of a bonafide marriage" alone with my I-130 package? Like photos, reciepts, phone records, letters from 3rd party and other small proof now with I-130. Should this proof be also "duplicated when interviewing" at the Chinese Embassy when the time comes in about 1 year later?

I was told and read just send in a copy of marriage license for "Evidence of a bonafide marriage" for I-130?

What do you believe is the minimum I can send because I don't have enough for the I-130 for proof. I am currently working on the proof and don't want to wait a few months. I want to send in what I already have, a few pictures and e-mail. Then when the interview comes I will give what I have gather for the rest.

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)

This is strictly optional, USCIS and Consulate know that due to the short time of marriage that you wont have any of the above evidence, you can provide a couple of letters from friends and family attesting to knowledge that you are in fact married.

This evidence has more to do with persons who have been married and living together overseas for several years, as in 2+ years together, the resulting visa, and green-card in the USA will be a 10 year permanent one, no conditions to file to remove. People filing for a visa shortly after marriage tend to get a 2year green card, which will eventually need the conditions removed for a permanent card, at that time you will provide to USCIS evidence of bona fide marital relationship.

Hi William,

With the new I-130 form just submitting the Marriage Certificate is not enough.

I submitted a notarized copy of my Marriage Certificate (red book) and affidavits from Five people at my work.

The other requirements like adding my wife to the utility bills and such were longer than I wanted to take before filing the I-130.

The bank accounts are impossible with out a SS# and such.

So, I filed with my I-130 Five affidavits basically sworn to a bonafide marriage. Will this be enough evidence, I will know when and if I get the NOA2. I think it will, but in the mean time I have added my wife to all the Utility bills and since I am supporting her and the boys 100%, I would have the wire transfers as well.

So, really the only thing you can do, if you have just married your wife, and I married my wife in March,2008 and I filed the I-130 in April,2008;

the only thing I could file was the notarized copy of my Marriage Certificate (red book) and affidavits. But I would try and get more than two affidavits.

Hope this helps.

Tom and Ling

You should add her to your insurance plan. Buy insurance policy with her as the only beneficiary. Change your 401k and IRA beneficiary with her as the beneficiary(even though technically she's the designated beneficiary by law as soon as you're married).

But be forewarned...they might never even ask to see this. But if they do ask to see it, you definitely want to be able to provide all this.

Here's what I did for the financial documents:

1.) I added my wife to my company's health insurance plan. I have been paying an extra $200 a month so she can be on the plan.

2.) I changed my 401k and IRA accounts to her as the designated Beneficiary.

3.) I bought a new $500k insurance policy and she's listed as the only beneficiary. Also bought an additional supplemental $2 millions insurance policy at work with her as the beneficary.

4.) I have wired about $6k in USD to her.

And guess what? They never asked to see this when my wife was interviewed. But as Murphy Law works, if you don't do it, they will ask to see it during the interview!

So as other has suggested, you might want to include all the financial documents in your Visa Application instead of having your wife bring the documents to the interview because they might never ask to see your financial documents other than the Affidvant of Support during the interview.

I am little confused. Do I summit "Evidence of a bonafide marriage" alone with my I-130 package? Like photos, reciepts, phone records, letters from 3rd party and other small proof now with I-130. Should this proof be also "duplicated when interviewing" at the Chinese Embassy when the time comes in about 1 year later?

I was told and read just send in a copy of marriage license for "Evidence of a bonafide marriage" for I-130?

What do you believe is the minimum I can send because I don't have enough for the I-130 for proof. I am currently working on the proof and don't want to wait a few months. I want to send in what I already have, a few pictures and e-mail. Then when the interview comes I will give what I have gather for the rest.

The 'evidence of bonafide marriage' set o stuff to do changed in january 2008. If you review a current I-130 form, you'll see what is suggested to prove up a bonafide marriage. others have made lists, reread what is here in this topic. FWIW, those affadavits from OTHER PEOPLE - you can get them now, not wait for a few months. Please study, as much as possible, what 'front-loading' is all about.

You can also submit stuff after you receive the P-2, cause you'll start to recv the I-864 requests right after that.

Be Well, and Well Rested !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

The 'evidence of bonafide marriage' set o stuff to do changed in january 2008. If you review a current I-130 form, you'll see what is suggested to prove up a bonafide marriage. others have made lists, reread what is here in this topic. FWIW, those affadavits from OTHER PEOPLE - you can get them now, not wait for a few months. Please study, as much as possible, what 'front-loading' is all about.

You can also submit stuff after you receive the P-2, cause you'll start to recv the I-864 requests right after that.

Thanks to all that replied.

Where can I get a sample for Affidavits. I know the basics requirements for the Affidavits on visajournel.com.

From visajournel.com

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage);

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)

Hi William,

This was the affidavit I sent, if it does not come out correct than e-mail me and I will attach it in word.

BEFORE THE UNITED STATES CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

IN RE: PETITION OF THOMAS RUDE AND LING FANG

AFFIDAVIT

BEFORE ME, the undersigned authority,**Person¡¯s Name**., ***Job title***working at ****Place of Work***personally appeared, after being first duly sworn and cautioned upon her/His oath, deposes and states:

1. My name isXXXXXX, I live atXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I have personal knowledge of the facts set forth herein.

2. I have been a work associate of Mr. XXX since 1988 (19.5 years)

3. I have known Mr XXXX both as an associate and as a friend. I was aware of his communications with **Chinese wife**since August 2007. Ms. XXXand Mr. XXX having been writing and speaking regularly. Mr. XXX has been learning Mandarin over this time and has made known his desire to care for Ms XXXX and her sons and has been planning for the same. I know for a fact that the marital relationship is a true and bona fided marriage with no intention of fraud; and is and will be a loving marital relationship. Mrs. XX and her twin boys will be a welcome addition to the United States.

FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT

State of North Carolina COUNTY OF ____________

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _________, 2008, by ¡­¡­¡­¡­.., who personally appeared before me, is personally known to me or produced _____________________________ as identification, and did take an oath.

Notary:

[NOTARIAL SEAL]

Print Name:

Notary Public, State of

My commission expires:

Thanks to all that replied.

Where can I get a sample for Affidavits. I know the basics requirements for the Affidavits on visajournel.com.

From visajournel.com

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage);