125% poverty line.

I'm not clear about something that relates to the 125% poverty line. When I figure out if I am above this do I have to include my children that live with my ex-wife? My understanding is the number of people that will be living in the home when my soon to be wife comes to America.

Who claims them as dependents on their taxes?

If you don't, then you don't have to count them on the I-134 and/or I-864, only count self, prospective immigrant, and any dependents of the prospective immigrant that may be immigrating at the same time.

If your ex-wife claims your children as dependants on her tax forms, then you cannot clain them on yours. Look at your last tax form and count the dependants including yourself that you filed. Add your fiance and her children to that number. That is the number that you must meet 125% of poverty guidlelines for.

Who claims them as dependents on their taxes?

If you don't, then you don't have to count them on the I-134 and/or I-864, only count self, prospective immigrant, and any dependents of the prospective immigrant that may be immigrating at the same time.

The both of you, thank you, that is what I thought. I read the I-864 destruction a few times and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading it cross eyed.

Now when they say you have to be 125% above the poverty line does it matter if you are only a little above it (by only a few thousand)?

Edited by Corbin (see edit history)

The both of you, thank you, that is what I thought. I read the I-864 destruction a few times and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading it cross eyed.

Now when they say you have to be 125% above the poverty line does it matter if you are only a little above it (by only a few thousand)?

Only the VO can answer that. You satisfy the requirement, but he will be looking at the overall picture. In other words, money does talk here.

Only the VO can answer that. You satisfy the requirement, but he will be looking at the overall picture. In other words, money does talk here.

Can another sponsor be added later or do I have to have them there from the start?

Guest Mike and Lily

Can another sponsor be added later or do I have to have them there from the start?

You need to prove that you meet the guidelines twice. Once at the GUZ interview, and again at AOS. If you don't have the necessary assets or income to qualify independently, you will need a sponsor each time.

I disagree with Randy that money talks. It certainly helps but this is one of the few areas of immigration where there are no shades of gray. You qualify or you don't. If you barely meet the guidelines a VO can't disqualify you based on income alone. That doesn't mean that they won't ask you to jump through a few more hoops if they think you don't make enough money. You can also qualify on assets, stocks, bonds, property, savings, etc.

This is what is really starting to bug me, not knowing if what I will give them will be enough or will it cause a denial of visa.

I wouldn't let this worry me too much. In essence, they consider the totality of the case. If the rest of the case is strong, then as long as you qualify on the support side, then you will be ok. JMHO.

This is what is really starting to bug me, not knowing if what I will give them will be enough or will it cause a denial of visa.

I wouldn't let this worry me too much. In essence, they consider the totality of the case. If the rest of the case is strong, then as long as you qualify on the support side, then you will be ok. JMHO.

Thanks, guess I'm going through post withdraw systems after my last stay in China with my soon to be wife. I want to be sure that we have the best chance of her coming to the US. So I am getting a little edgy at this time.......

Breath in....... breath out....... breath in........ breath........

;)

To be on the safe side, I would get a co-sponsor and get it notorized. Have your fiancee have it with her just in case. You can also hand both of them at the same time at the interview. Had several people do that and they recieved their "Pinks". It really matters how prepared you are for the interviews. Out of the 19 people my fiancee talked too or helped out, they asked: How did you meet. Can you speak English. When did you meet him. Do you have pictures. Do you have a I-134. and tax papers.

Personally for me, I made all my money in China last year so I made no income in the US in 2006 and 2007. I currently work for a company full time right now and showed them that I make way above poverty line this year from a letter from my employer, current pay stubs, and letter of support and explanation of no income in 2006 and 2007. Had no problems...

So I say, get a co-sponsor and have it on-hand.

JimnCherry