Asian Images in Film

TCM Specials for the month of June

"TCM¡¯s RACE AND HOLLYWOOD: ASIAN IMAGES IN FILM festival will take place Tuesday and Thursday nights in June, beginning at 8 p.m. (ET). Each night¡¯s collection of films will be centered on a particular theme, such as a look at the career of Anna May Wong, the legendary actress whose roles during the 1930s and 1940s ranged from victims to temptresses; a collection of detective films, including the long-running Charlie Chan series; an exploration of how movies have depicted interracial and intercultural relationships; an examination of Asian depictions in films made during and after World War II; and a look at contemporary Asians stars, such as Ming Wen and Jackie Chan. The festival will also feature discussions about the Hollywood practice of casting non-Asian actors and actresses in Asian roles."

There's a couple of good movies in there, so you might`want to check it out, but it's Hollywood flicks only

I'm waiting to see some of the old Anna May Wong movies. She was a beautiful woman, born January 1905.

Speaking of casting non-Asian actors and actresses in Asian roles, Katharine Hepburn played a Chinese woman, and of course, Paul Muni in Pearl Buck's, The Good Earth. Interesting, don't you think? :mellow:

I'm waiting to see some of the old Anna May Wong movies. She was a beautiful woman, born January 1905.

Speaking of casting non-Asian actors and actresses in Asian roles, Katharine Hepburn played a Chinese woman, and of course, Paul Muni in Pearl Buck's, The Good Earth. Interesting, don't you think? :mellow:

Why mention only Wang Lung? O Lan was played by Luise Ranier who won the Oscar that year for her awesome performance. No one who sees it could ever forget her scene holding the knife deciding she has got to kill the ox at the height of the famine. From the beginning she made the movie work, just as the character she played made life a workable possibility for her husband. My wife Ping loves this movie perhaps as much as I do and it forms a forms a chunk of shared experience we refer to quite often. This film is severely under- appreciated. And I feel that Pearl Buck did deserve to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

TCM Specials for the month of June

"TCM’s RACE AND HOLLYWOOD: ASIAN IMAGES IN FILM festival will take place Tuesday and Thursday nights in June, beginning at 8 p.m. (ET). Each night’s collection of films will be centered on a particular theme, such as a look at the career of Anna May Wong, the legendary actress whose roles during the 1930s and 1940s ranged from victims to temptresses; a collection of detective films, including the long-running Charlie Chan series; an exploration of how movies have depicted interracial and intercultural relationships; an examination of Asian depictions in films made during and after World War II; and a look at contemporary Asians stars, such as Ming Wen and Jackie Chan. The festival will also feature discussions about the Hollywood practice of casting non-Asian actors and actresses in Asian roles."

There's a couple of good movies in there, so you might`want to check it out, but it's Hollywood flicks only

After looking at the web site, I guess I'm going to have to plug my TV in again.

Why mention only Wang Lung? O Lan was played by Luise Ranier who won the Oscar that year for her awesome performance. No one who sees it could ever forget her scene holding the knife deciding she has got to kill the ox at the height of the famine. From the beginning she made the movie work, just as the character she played made life a workable possibility for her husband. My wife Ping loves this movie perhaps as much as I do and it forms a forms a chunk of shared experience we refer to quite often. This film is severely under- appreciated. And I feel that Pearl Buck did deserve to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Gee Robert. I can't remember every little thing. I was just going by memory but you're right. I overlooked Luise Ranier. A thousand pardons please! :P

Here's what I'm waiting to see on TCM; Anna May Wong-Frosted Yellow Willows: Her Life, Times and Legend. It comes on Thursday night.

http://www.tcm.com/2008/aif/index.jsp

Here's another one I should've added last night but couldn't remember the name; Tony Randall in The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao.

Actually, this is an entertaining movie and Tony Randall is superb. I remember that movie scaring me when I was just a little tike...lol.

I'm sure it will be mentioned this month on TCM.

DamN!!!!...I missed Anna May Wong!!!......... :Dah: :sosad:

I was testing out a new password manager download when I remembered it. I remembered it when I came here testing the PM and looked at the thread and the time was 8:03 when I remembered it!!!.... woe is me! :sosad:

I really wanted to see that too!

Anyways, the new password manager I'm testing out is the new one put out by Steganos; Password Manager 2009. It seems to be okay so far. I didn't like PM 2006 and the PM I have now is a Steganos but it's really old. I think it's time for me to update. That goes for my poor memory too!!! :Dah:

I hope that Anna can forgive me! :P :P

DamN!!!!...I missed Anna May Wong!!!......... :sosad: :sosad:

I hope that Anna can forgive me! :P :P

She won't if you miss it again at 2:30AM!

2:30 AM?...WoW! That's late! Or early!...

I guess I'll have to chalk this one up as "Chinese torture!" because I don't have a VCR to record it. Well,,,I do have one but it is all in Chinese writing. I can never figure out how to run the remote!