China bans free plastic bags

Yep, Ping told me the same thing yesterday.

Should do it here. You don't realize how many loose bags are floating arround out there.

I helped a friend look for a lost Maltise puppy one evening. I found the dog under a bush at 2 am - after chasing down about 80 white plastic bags :mellow:

Personally, I think this was a great move by the Chinese government. With convenience comes waste. With 1.3 billion people, this waste will be of epic proportions as I have seen in my several visits there. The more traditional Chinese are probably happy about this law.

Remember when there were bottle deposits? Kept us kids busy and the roads clear.

This is a reasonable thing for China to do and one that the rest of the world should emulate.

I was thinking the same thing. Oregon is one of the few states with a bottle bill. You don't see many cans or bottles on the side of the road here anymore. Perhaps if we put a 5 cent deposit on all plastic bags people would reuse them.

California as a 'redemption value' for plastic, aluminum and glass containers. Among his other businesses, my 13 year old son collects recyclables on a regular basis and takes them to the recycling center. He averages about $7.50 per week. Not bad for a few minutes work.

Clever lad. He also has a candy delivery business and a lemonade cart for the summer. While other kids wait at their stands, he pulls his cart around the neighborhood and delivers, door to door.

Maybe I'll be able to retire soon...

California as a 'redemption value' for plastic, aluminum and glass containers. Among his other businesses, my 13 year old son collects recyclables on a regular basis and takes them to the recycling center. He averages about $7.50 per week. Not bad for a few minutes work.

Clever lad. He also has a candy delivery business and a lemonade cart for the summer. While other kids wait at their stands, he pulls his cart around the neighborhood and delivers, door to door.

Maybe I'll be able to retire soon...

Then you could work for your son. :(

Remember when there were bottle deposits? Kept us kids busy and the roads clear.

This is a reasonable thing for China to do and one that the rest of the world should emulate.

Haha. Hawaii still has a bottle deposit (unless they did away with it while I have been away for the year lol). I think it's pretty good, but when I was back home when they first started the thing, it sucked badly. They would weigh the bag and give accordingly. So you could have say, 164 bottles but they might only pay you for 150 since they don't want to count them all. Also, I don't know how it is now, but you couldn't smash the bottles or cans.

I know I had some friends on the mainland going to college who would collect the bottles since they didn't pay a deposit on them, and bring them back home and get 5 cents for them. HAHA!

In my home town, and when I was living in Kyoto, there are some stores that have discounts if you bring your own bag. One place in Kyoto would give you a stamp card and everytime you brought your own bag you got a stamp and if you collected so many stamps you could get a dollar off. We always brought our own bags. It's a very good idea, and in Japan i received several free cute pig shopping bags that fold into itself for easy storage. I love them and plan to use them when I get back to Hawaii, too. Who cares if other people think I'm "hippie"...I'll be getting a discount for already overpriced food. :D

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9216/mchina2006112cm5.jpg

How the heck am I supposed to bring home the vegetables now ??? :lol:

O Roggie thats so simple, even for someone that lays his head down

at 1600 PA Ave.....

get pants that has bigger pockets....

I'm sure "The new and improved CFL auto system" RandyW and or

that "World Famous Photo Chop Shop" Candrew can and will paint you a photo.... if-in you need?