I really don¡¯t know where to begin other than I know a person that is courting a lady in south china. He is an older gentleman with the same expectations and nervousness that all of us have gone through or is still going through.

Anyway this lady is in her late 50¡¯s and the petitioner is about 70 he is in remarkable shape for his age. The concern has been brought up about this ladies son being unmarried and 25 years old. I guess the petitioner should expect that the sons presence will eventually be wanted in the US.

Does this couple even have a chance due to the fact of the guy¡¯s age and lack of a common language?

Are there any pointers I can give him to help him along the K1 visa path.

Bill ... if his finances are solid, they've met a couple of times, and they put together a good package I think the chances of approval are good. I sure would include pictures that showed the two of them together with him lookin' more like 50 than 70.

great points Jim thanks

Guest Rob & Jin

Once she is an LPR, she can file an I-130 to bring him here. It will take around 10 years, or 6 years if she becomes a citizen.

why because he is over a certain age that he cant file K2?

yes :)

Once she is an LPR, she can file an I-130 to bring him here. It will take around 10 years, or 6 years if she becomes a citizen.

Right, over 18 (?) i think, you can not file K2 anymore. Not sure it is 18, but over some age near 18 -21 you can not file K2 anymore.

I wonder what you are asking in this post???

If it is about the son...Than there are two ways to go once the mother is in the US. The first way is she needs to become a US citizen in 3 years and than file a I-130 for the son which will take 1 to 2 years, so as early as 4 years if they are lucky to probably 5 years. Going the Green Card way will be quit long because Green Card holders have to wait for a Visa number. I am still not sure how long for a US Citizen to file for an unmarried son??

I get the impression that you are asking about the 70 year old guy and the 50 year old woman, and those two filing an I-129F-K1, and does the man at his age ....should he even file for a K1...is this what you are asking??....I guess I am confused about what you are asking??

I really don¡¯t know where to begin other than I know a person that is courting a lady in south china. He is an older gentleman with the same expectations and nervousness that all of us have gone through or is still going through.

Anyway this lady is in her late 50¡¯s and the petitioner is about 70 he is in remarkable shape for his age. The concern has been brought up about this ladies son being unmarried and 25 years old. I guess the petitioner should expect that the sons presence will eventually be wanted in the US.

Does this couple even have a chance due to the fact of the guy¡¯s age and lack of a common language?

Are there any pointers I can give him to help him along the K1 visa path.

Correct, son needs to be less than 18 at time of marriage. To qualify for K-2

Remember that in immigration law a child must be unmarried. The stepparent/stepchild relationship must be created before the child reaches the age of 18.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...4.html#Children

If it is about the son...Than there are two ways to go once the mother is in the US. The first way is she needs to become a US citizen in 3 years and than file a I-130 for the son which will take 1 to 2 years, so as early as 4 years if they are lucky to probably 5 years. Going the Green Card way will be quit long because Green Card holders have to wait for a Visa number. I am still not sure how long for a US Citizen to file for an unmarried son??

As a K-1, she will not need a visa number. She can file for Adjustment of Status as soon as they are married. She MUST go the "green card route", or leave the country. It will most likely take less than 1 year.

As soon as she gets her green card, she can file the I-130 for her over 21 son. She does not need to wait until she becomes a citizen. the application will be upgraded to son of an American citizen when she does.

The son must wait for an available visa number. This will take about 10 years, but only 6 years if she becomes a citizen in the mean time. He MUST NOT GET MARRIED while she is an LPR. He CAN get married after she becomes a citizen, but it will delay his application by a couple of years.

Check the Visa Bulletin

For the son...We are all saying the same thing but differently :) :lol:

Tom and Ling

As a K-1, she will not need a visa number. She can file for Adjustment of Status as soon as they are married. She MUST go the "green card route", or leave the country. It will most likely take less than 1 year.

As soon as she gets her green card, she can file the I-130 for her over 21 son. She does not need to wait until she becomes a citizen. the application will be upgraded to son of an American citizen when she does.

The son must wait for an available visa number. This will take about 10 years, but only 6 years if she becomes a citizen in the mean time. He MUST NOT GET MARRIED while she is an LPR. He CAN get married after she becomes a citizen, but it will delay his application by a couple of years.

Check the Visa Bulletin