Any geology wiz here?

Do you know the provinces which are prone to earth quakes in china?

I know the Indian plate is pushing against the Eurasian plate causing the Himalayan mountains to grow taller, while causing earth quakes in China, India and Pakistan. Last earth quake in china (about 20 years ago, I think) killed over 240,000 people. I Googled it. Nothing much came out of that.

Do you know the provinces which are prone to earth quakes in china?

I know the Indian plate is pushing against the Eurasian plate causing the Himalayan mountains to grow taller, while causing earth quakes in China, India and Pakistan. Last earth quake in china (about 20 years ago, I think) killed over 240,000 people. I Googled it. Nothing much came out of that.

The geographic region that China is in, is one of the most active seismic areas of the world.

Following is a list of those earthquakes which have had fatal results in China, mostly the ones at or around magnitude 6 or greater.

Again, there have been others, below magnitude 6, in the past twenty years, but they did not cause loss of life, only property damage and/or injury and thus did not make the news:

China

1290 09 27 - Chihli, China Fatalities 100,000

1556 01 23 - Shensi, China - M 8.0 Fatalities 830,000

1917 07 30 - Yunnan, China - M 7.5 Fatalities 1,800

1918 02 13 - Nan'ao, Guangdong, (Kwangtung), China - M 7.3 Fatalities 1,000

1920 12 16 - Haiyuan, Ningxia, China - M 7.8 Fatalities 200,000

1923 03 24 - Near Luhuo, Sichuan, China - M 7.3 Fatalities 3,500

1925 03 16 - Yunnan, China - M 7.1 Fatalities 5,800

1927 05 22 - Tsinghai, China - M 7.6 Fatalities 40,900

1931 08 10 - Xinjiang, China - M 8.0 Fatalities 10,000

1932 12 25 - Gansu, China - M 7.6 Fatalities 275

1933 08 25 - Sichuan, China - M 7.4 Fatalities 9,300

1948 05 25 - Sichuan, China - M 7.3 Fatalities 800

1950 08 15 - Assam - Tibet - M 8.6 Fatalities 1,526

1966 03 07 - Hebei, China - M 7.0 Fatalities 1,000

1966 03 22 - Hebei, China - M 6.9 Fatalities 1,000

1969 07 25 - Guangdong, China - M 5.9 Fatalities 3,000

1970 01 04 - Yunnan Province, China - M 7.5 Fatalities 10,000

1974 05 10 - China - M 6.8 Fatalities 20,000

1975 02 04 - Haicheng, China - M 7.0 Fatalities 2,000

1976 07 27 - Tangshan, China - M 7.5 Fatalities 255,000 +

2002 06 28 - Priamurye-Northeastern China - M 7.3

2002 12 25 - Xinjiang border region - M 5.7

2003 02 24 - Southern Xinjiang, China - M 6.3 Fatalities 261

2003 07 21 - Yunnan, China - M 6.0 Fatalities 16

2008 03 20 - Xinjiang-Xizang region - M 7.2 (Unk.)

2008 05 12 - Sichuan, China - M 7.9 Fatalities (Est. 40 to 50 K)

Yeah I have a BS in Geo Sci but never really used it...Well as you can see from Rog's list Yunnan is an ACTIVE place... :lol: and Hainan, being volcanic, is not...all you get on Hainan is hotsprings telling you there's something warm down there... :P HAHAHAHA

Look Ken it's like this for me...I don't drive around in a tank because I might have an accident some day...And I don't choose where to live in China after doing a geological risk assessment...Too many other far more important considerations... :toot:

I have a degree in Geology, but I am no expert on the geology of China. However, in my (somewhat) informed opinion I think the whole of China is susceptible to earthquakes. There are many major plate boundaries that converge around China. There are faults everywhere just like there are faults everywhere in America, and when they slip they slip. But just as California gets more earthquakes in America, the mountainous regions get more earthquakes China. But it seems like the middle western part of the country is relatively more prone to earthquakes than the other mountainous areas.

Yeah I have a BS in Geo Sci but never really used it...Well as you can see from Rog's list Yunnan is an ACTIVE place... :blink: and Hainan, being volcanic, is not...all you get on Hainan is hotsprings telling you there's something warm down there... :) HAHAHAHA

Look Ken it's like this for me...I don't drive around in a tank because I might have an accident some day...And I don't choose where to live in China after doing a geological risk assessment...Too many other far more important considerations... :D

Roger, I am just trying to be cautious. If I have a choice of two cities A and B which are almost identical, and if A is in an earthquake zone and B is not, I would naturally pick B. It does not cost anything extra. But on the other hand, if I have a very attractive job offer from city A, and not from city B, of course, I will pick A.

I have a condo in Miami that is rented out. Last hurricane hit this building. My unit is ok, but the building sustained some damages. It is an L shaped building. About 4 units in the other wing are damaged and also the wall. The owners, the condo association, the insurance are fighting it out in court. My unit has been for sale. But no body would buy it, until the building is completely fixed. Would I buy another condo in Miami? Probably not !

http://english.sepa.gov.cn/SOE/soechina2003/disaster.htm

This is a list of natural disasters that occurred in 2003 alone. Very active I would say!! :o

Wow! I think china is hit by more disasters than any other country in the world! Hainan and Guangdong are hit by huricanes and Sichuan, Yunan and westcentral provinces are hit by earth quakes!

Thanks for the info. chilton

Ken88

Zhongshan seems pretty safe. It is in Guangdong but it is far enough away from the ocean to get a direct hit from a typhoon. They have a lot of wind but that's about it.

This is a list of natural disasters that occurred in 2003 alone. Very active I would say!! :sosad:

Wow! I think china is hit by more disasters than any other country in the world! Hainan and Guangdong are hit by huricanes and Sichuan, Yunan and westcentral provinces are hit by earth quakes!

Ken88

Zhongshan seems pretty safe. It is in Guangdong but it is far enough away from the ocean to get a direct hit from a typhoon. They have a lot of wind but that's about it.

Our town on Hainan, Qionghai, is 15 km from the coast which is why it's still there after many centuries...That east coast of Hainan is known as the TYPHOON COAST... :o Also Qionghai sits at the incredibly high elevation of 83'... :P But seriously typhoons in the South China Sea are generally not nearly as severe as hurricanes in the Atlantic...Also during the typhoon season of May through October...We won't be there... :ph34r:

This is a list of natural disasters that occurred in 2003 alone. Very active I would say!! :huh:

Ken88

Our town on Hainan, Qionghai, is 15 km from the coast which is why it's still there after many centuries...That east coast of Hainan is known as the TYPHOON COAST... ;) Also Qionghai sits at the incredibly high elevation of 83'... ;) But seriously typhoons in the South China Sea are generally not nearly as severe as hurricanes in the Atlantic...Also during the typhoon season of May through October...We won't be there... :sleeping:

So you will leave typhoon country and head for earthquake country? ;)

This is a list of natural disasters that occurred in 2003 alone. Very active I would say!! ;)

Ken88

Our town on Hainan, Qionghai, is 15 km from the coast which is why it's still there after many centuries...That east coast of Hainan is known as the TYPHOON COAST... ;) Also Qionghai sits at the incredibly high elevation of 83'... :P But seriously typhoons in the South China Sea are generally not nearly as severe as hurricanes in the Atlantic...Also during the typhoon season of May through October...We won't be there... :huh:

But earthquakes don't happen in the summer... ;)

Do they? :sleeping:

This is a list of natural disasters that occurred in 2003 alone. Very active I would say!! ;)

Ken88

Our town on Hainan, Qionghai, is 15 km from the coast which is why it's still there after many centuries...That east coast of Hainan is known as the TYPHOON COAST... ;) Also Qionghai sits at the incredibly high elevation of 83'... :P But seriously typhoons in the South China Sea are generally not nearly as severe as hurricanes in the Atlantic...Also during the typhoon season of May through October...We won't be there... ;)

But earthquakes don't happen in the summer... :P

Do they? :huh:

I dunno. :sleeping: