An "interesting" spin to the Earthquake tragedy

I don't think the implication of the one-child grief is lost on the central government... Hu Jintao has been touring areas and being shown with people who are having emotional breakdowns; mothers who cannot even control their tears which flow without stopping. One reporter tried to interview a school master who was completely unable to even talk. Grief happens.

Rescue workers are working around the clock with hardly any sleep and the top level is telling them to push onward to rescue more. It's a massive effort going on to say the least and there will be a feeling of grief for a long time for some. The mantra of Hu Jintao has been, "Stay Strong".

I thought the other day that the central government should give those families who lost a child the first in line to adopt from their own country... not sure people would embrace such an idea since there's no way to mend a broken heart sometimes... but life will go on.

I thought the other day that the central government should give those families who lost a child the first in line to adopt from their own country... not sure people would embrace such an idea since there's no way to mend a broken heart sometimes... but life will go on.

I think this is an excellent idea. I read an article the other day about a woman who was intensely caring for a two year old boy. He had just lost his parents in the earthquake. Twist was she just lost her two year old daughter, but at the time her full attention was on this boy, his well being and safety. I had a fleeting thought about how great it would be if they ended up together.

I don't think the implication of the one-child grief is lost on the central government... Hu Jintao has been touring areas and being shown with people who are having emotional breakdowns; mothers who cannot even control their tears which flow without stopping. One reporter tried to interview a school master who was completely unable to even talk. Grief happens.

Rescue workers are working around the clock with hardly any sleep and the top level is telling them to push onward to rescue more. It's a massive effort going on to say the least and there will be a feeling of grief for a long time for some. The mantra of Hu Jintao has been, "Stay Strong".

I'm sure most who lost their child will opt to have another one if at all medically possible rather than turning to adoption.

I think this is an excellent idea. I read an article the other day about a woman who was intensely caring for a two year old boy. He had just lost his parents in the earthquake. Twist was she just lost her two year old daughter, but at the time her full attention was on this boy, his well being and safety. I had a fleeting thought about how great it would be if they ended up together.

Are you talking about the police woman who fainted after exiting the tent? If so, you are not the only one who thought this. I thought about how it would make a really nice story.

I'm sure most who lost their child will opt to have another one if at all medically possible rather than turning to adoption.

I don't doubt that.. and I was thinking more about the age of the parents and their psychological state... and to speak of waiting years for a child to approach the age of what was lost... adoption is simply easy and practical; no birth, now waiting...

Are you talking about the police woman who fainted after exiting the tent? If so, you are not the only one who thought this. I thought about how it would make a really nice story.

Yeah, that would be the story.

As for couples having more children, first they would need to get over the grief which could take years and then many couples spend years trying to have children so it might not be as easy for some. Adoption would simply be an option. Also, who better to know how to help an earthquake survivor than someone who just went through the same experience? Besides, the disaster wasn't confined to just couples, it also struck many single parent famlies I'm sure. This is becoming very common in China.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

The idea of adoption caused me to wonder about acceptability of an adopted child in Chinese culture. Many of us know that step-children, particularly girls, are often not well accepted by their Chinese stepfathers and new family and I wondered if this was also true with adopted children. My girls say that adopted children are more accepted than step children but weighed against the possibility of having a new natural child most would go down the latter path.

There is an adopted child on the Chinese side of my family. She is about 5-6 years old and very well accepted. Interestingly the adoption is being kept a secret and there are no plans to ever tell the child.