Temporary work permit

Hopefully i'm posting in the right place....

Hello ladies and gent's. I don't know whether anyone is familiar with the work permit process but I would like to know whether anyone else is aware of another type of TEMPORARY WORK PERMIT besides the EAD. My wife got her sources from her friend who supposedly said there is another type of work permit that is temporary that allows her to work.... I don't know about this really but I would like to know if it really exists.

My wife is currently training for teaching Chinese and was offered a job to teach CHinese already but the problem is that she has no work permit. She is very eager to work but we are barely about to do the Biometrics test this Wednesday 5/7/08 and then it takes some weeks to get the work permit but she would like to start working and get the job already. If anyone is aware of another way of obtaining another type of TEMPORARY work permit, please send me a message. My ping and I would be very thankful.

We did get a receipt notice for the I-485 which was the first receipt notice but then we got a I 797C (ASC appointment notice) receipt notice for the Biometrics test which in fact had the APPLICATION number for the I485 and I 765. Would that be the I797C for the EAD??? As far as I know , we've only received those two notices. We are scheduled for the Bimoetrics test this wednesday.

Thanks very much Randy for the super duper quick response! :D

If she has an SS #, and a I-797C for the EAD, she shouldn't have any problems in accepting the job.

No, there is no other work permit.

Thanks Clayton! that is a huge sigh of relief. I really hope we can get it that fast too!! It really gives us a lot of hope and hopefully it will arrive for us that soon!

Thank you again for the quick response!!

Qiao ZHi.

Perhaps your wait for the EAD card after biometrics will not be such a long wait.

My wife's EAD card arrived in the mail just 8 days after bio, as several others here did also.

Clayton

You should have gotten a separate receipt - but look on the I-485 receipt to see if it says anything about the EAD. If not, the biometrics appt I-797C may suffice.

I would suggest that you talk to her employer about her present situation, and what is the best course of action.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Ok , I think we will do that. Thanks for the advice Randy. Do you think it would be a good idea to show the information to the Social security office to see if they could lift the conditions of work authorization??

Thanks again!

You should have gotten a separate receipt - but look on the I-485 receipt to see if it says anything about the EAD. If not, the biometrics appt I-797C would suffice.

I would suggest that you talk to her employer about her present situation, and what is the best course of action.

Ok , I think we will do that. Thanks for the advice Randy. Do you think it would be a good idea to show the information to the Social security office to see if they could lift the conditions of work authorization??

Thanks again!

You should have gotten a separate receipt - but look on the I-485 receipt to see if it says anything about the EAD. If not, the biometrics appt I-797C would suffice.

Jiaying's Social Security card still shows that same "restriction" - we don't plan on having it removed even after her green card arrives. It doesn't affect her employability.

I have heard, however, that some employer's in other areas don't like it.

... I don't know whether anyone is familiar with the work permit process but I would like to know whether anyone else is aware of another type of TEMPORARY WORK PERMIT besides the EAD. My wife got her sources from her friend who supposedly said there is another type of work permit that is temporary that allows her to work.... I don't know about this really but I would like to know if it really exists.

My wife is currently training for teaching Chinese and was offered a job to teach CHinese already but the problem is that she has no work permit. She is very eager to work but we are barely about to do the Biometrics test this Wednesday 5/7/08 and then it takes some weeks to get the work permit but she would like to start working and get the job already. If anyone is aware of another way of obtaining another type of TEMPORARY work permit, please send me a message. My ping and I would be very thankful.

As Pete said, EAD is only good for a year (and can be renewed), so it technically is temp, but as for another type of work permit for immigranting fiances/spouses ...

It's possible that what your wife's friends are talking about is the "temporary" work status a K1 visa holder gets when they enter the country, that is good while the K1 visa is in effect. However, once you file for adjustment of status, the only work permit is the EAD (Employment Authorization Document - I-765), which is effective until the permanent resident card is approved. After that, no work permit is required, of course.

In my experience and from what I've observed for others on CFL and elsewhere, the EAD is usually approved rather quickly, within a couple of weeks of biometrics, so it should be received shortly after you complete them. Good luck.

Edited by NY-Viking (see edit history)

Jiaying's Social Security card still shows that same "restriction" - we don't plan on having it removed even after her green card arrives. It doesn't affect her employability.

I have heard, however, that some employer's in other areas don't like it.

I have no idea why you wouldn't want to get the "restriction" removed. Of course, once she has her green card that is valid for work authorization, so that, together with the social security card, should be fine for any employer, but why look for problems?

It only takes a visit to the SS office, and they issue a new card, which is received within days, that just has the individual's name and ss number, just like the US citizen's card. It doesn't cost anything (except the time and travel to the ss office) and having the new card issued to remove the restriction statement doesn't count against the maximum lifetime cards the ss office will send you.

So, while I wouldn't make going to the SS office for a new card my number one priority, I'd definitely recommend doing it at some point.