Expired Green Card & Extension Letter

Ying is worried that she may have trouble leaving China with an expired green card despite the fact she has the letter that extends it for a year. Will she have any trouble leaving China?

If her green card expires before she leaves china, they might not let her get on the plane at the airport in china. I am not sure if it's different that she has the extension letter. i had witnessed at the shanghai pudong airport that someone trying to return to the u.s with an expired greencard being stopped and delayed and was told that he couldn't leave on that day. it would be better just to check with the airport first, just to make sure, you don't wanna take that chance and get rejected at the airport.....

Ying is worried that she may have trouble leaving China with an expired green card despite the fact she has the letter that extends it for a year. Will she have any trouble leaving China?

If her green card expires before she leaves china, they might not let her get on the plane at the airport in china. I am not sure if it's different that she has the extension letter. i had witnessed at the shanghai pudong airport that someone trying to return to the u.s with an expired greencard being stopped and delayed and was told that he couldn't leave on that day. it would be better just to check with the airport first, just to make sure, you don't wanna take that chance and get rejected at the airport.....

No need to check. The extension letter has extended her green card.

Another suggestion if you are worried about that is to schedule an info-pass appointment in the USA at your field office and get passport stamped with I-551 stamp. I-551 = Greencard. Field office may or may not provide the stamp when you have a valid extension letter.

The major airports in China shouldn't be a problem, but you will want to arrive early just in case the airline people need education. A few have had to bring more than one level of supervisor in to handle Advanced Parole issues before allowing departure.

We attempted to get an I-551 stamp and were refused, they explained that the letter was the evidence.

I asked if they could print one out in Chinese and have it authenticated by the Chinese Embassy so that the airlines in China would accept their piece of paper as authoritative. They didn't find this as humorous as I did. <_<

Others have reported no issue with the extension letter and often report that the green card was enough and no one noticed it was expired even at the POE.