engagement ring

Guest jade_yan

My wife told me that in China that the guy doesn't have to give engagement ring to the gal. They just have an engagement dinner with the family. I think it depends on which part of China. I gave my wife a triple zeros diamond (ideal cut for fire and brilliance).  Read here

That's interesting. I remember we had this very nice family dinner out after Youyue and I announced that we were going to marry. It's a good thing to remember. Pretty much, if you don't know what the occasion calls for, it's usually going to be food related.

I'm told the next big one I have to foot the bill for will be the baby's party that comes a month or so after the birth. That's supposed to be a big one, on par with the wedding.

Americans say, "How's the weather?"

Chinese say, "Have you eaten?"

:)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All.

I am lucky to have a friend in the Gem Business. I own An AutoBody and Paint shop so I made a Trade For a Diamond. I wanted Top Quality more then size but I did not want it to be to small. He told me There are many more stones of the best quality under a carat then a full carat its called a short carat .95 or bigger but less then 1.00 it could be .998 and still would be quite a bit cheaper then a full carat stone. I decided on a near perfect short carat daimond. And exchange a reasonable amount of Body work. Then what with the loose stone. I went to one of the better Jewelers in town. They just so happened to just get a great buy on some Platnium Engagement settings. I picked one that was elegant but simple The Short carat traditional stone with two small bagguetts on each side. I brought it to China with me. We were allready sure we were going to be married in the future. When Mei saw the Ring she all most fainted. She still thinks it is to big. she does not tell me this because she does not want me to feel bad. She wore the ring when I was there. But I could tell when people looked at it she felt embarrassed because of the extravagance. She does not wear the ring now in fear of being mugged. A single woman alone in China with something worth that much I know it is dangerous. I ask her when she is home and feeling lonely maybe if she would wear the ring she might feel better. I told her I know the ring is not my love Love is much more personal then any item. But it is an expression a symbol of my love and It just might help her fight the Loneliness. I hope this helps someone the memory of it helped Me.

Thanks Jim