engagement ring

Guest jade_yan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it just so happens I have a little experience in this. How do you buy a ring in the States, get her measurements in millimeters, interpret US vs. China size charts, and get the perfect fit when you place it on the finger? Trust me....it isn't easy.

For us, she went to a jeweler in Chengdu and got her size. I had to find a comparison chart on the Internet to understand what to order. But, that's where it was tricky. Based on what she told me, was it a 6, or 5 1/2, or maybe even 5 3/4? It could have been either. I opted to get the 6....a tad too big but she can wear it. Better to size down than size up.

For what it's worth, we discussed the style of the ring. I've always thought that since it sits on her finger, she should tell me what she likes. It was nice we liked the exact same thing when I sent info to her email account. I bought a loose stone and only asked what shape she'd like. The rest was up to me (in my opinion) regarding size, quality, color, and price. The final result was breathtaking.

Best advice is to put it off until you can to it together. State-side is better because of the appraisals of diamonds....and China isn't that cheap.

Naturally, everyone will have their own ideas and traditions to follow. But, when you talk about the "appropriate size of the diamond," you tell your man, "Big as a house and bright as the sun!!!!" Tee hee........make him sweat a little.

Guest enight

hi Jade, I saw many Amrican women wear HUGE diamond rings here, at least around 1 ct... :P

the diamond is much much cheaper than the price in China, similar to Hongkong.

I got a .61 ct for my wife. Not too big and not too small. She loved it!

We had sizing issues also, but the jewler was perfectly happy to change the setting at no charge.

The funny part is, after she got pregnant and started putting on a little weight she couldn't wear the ring any more. ;)

She desperately wants to wear it but it'll just have to wait until a while after the baby's born. Small sacrifice for the wee one. :P

Guest blsqueaky

Well then I guess that I went the easy route, saw the wedding set that I thought she would lilke, got photo, scanned and emailed to her. I was lucky, she loved it, and it was not large. She did not care about size, more for the meaning.

I've heard people quote things like, the cost of the diamond's value is "suppose" to be equal to X times your monthly salary (don't know the number). It's a bunch'a BS, if you ask me.

I think what's most important is to find that balance that makes you both most happy and comfortable. Could be a rock that makes you're sweetie list to the port side. Could be no ring at all.

hi Jade, I saw many Amrican women wear HUGE diamond rings here, at least around 1 ct...  :P

That is SO cold....I love it!

Again, it's all up to the couple. This stuff means different things to different people. Talk/listen to your sweetie and you'll figure out what will make you both happy.

couple thoughts

the quality of diamonds in china is not nearly what it is here, at least not where I shopped! We shopped and did not find anything worth buying. If you do it overseas, go to Bangkok, one of the best places i've ever been to buy gems.

All you have to do is get the size close. If its not the right size, a jeweler can easily resize it for you for very little cost and only a day or two wait.

X times salary????  whoa, he makes too much!

Actually, I believe it was something times the guy's "monthly" salary. So, if you're bringing in $4K/month you're supposed to spend some multiple of that. $8K or $12K... I can't remember. It's just a formula I've heard people discuss. In some circles I think it's taken quite seriously. Like, a representation of how successful the man was in his marrying years.

Actually, I believe it was something times the guy's "monthly" salary.  So, if you're bringing in $4K/month you're supposed to spend some multiple of that.  $8K or $12K... I can't remember.  It's just a formula I've heard people discuss.  In some circles I think it's taken quite seriously.  Like, a representation of how successful the man was in his marrying years.

Bad news, sports fans. The tradition is two months of the man's salary. Gross, not net. Keep in mind that the tradition was started by the jewlery industry so don't sweat it. When given out of love, it doesn't matter about the $$$. Of course, you can also give a family heirloom and be even more traditional from years gone by. Saves you cash too. :rolleyes: