China Ranks #2...

China passes the U.S. in exports, second only to Germany.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3767910.ece

I bet there are a lot of people in Beijing and Guangzhou who are holding their collective breath over the downturn in the U.S. economy. They own our debt but our market is essential to their well being. This relationship can foster greater cooperation and friendship between us or it can destroy (or severly damage) both countries. Let's hope we work it out through mutual cooperation and respect.

Edited by DMikeS4321 (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

China passes the U.S. in exports, second only to Germany.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3767910.ece

I bet there are a lot of people in Beijing and Guangzhou who are holding their collective breath over the downturn in the U.S. economy. They hold our debt but they need our markets. This arrangement can foster greater cooperation and friendship or it can destroy both countries (or at the very least cause severe damage to both of us). Let's hope we can all work together on this.

Agreed. What if American got it act back together this next administration and we became the pre-emminent manufacturer we once where until we surrendered our #1 rating for Geo-political gain during the Cold War that is has long been over.

China does well at making friends around the world and I'm sure the torch relay has helped them further this; watching the news here and the last leg go through Paskistan and India was interesting.

If they are smart, they are not putting all their eggs in one basket... if they are to be truly dominant globally, it's not going to be on the shoulders of the US economy alone; Not that I am suggesting that they want to be "dominant", but naturally as their exports grow and they built more better relations, it's a somewhat inevitable role.