Student visa failed

Hey Everyone,

Well, she went into Guangzhou and provided all the evidence that I prepared. The VO was very nice and appologized to her but said there is no way she can give her a F-1 student visa if she didn't get accepted to a College or High School. She also said there was no schedule of her plans in America. She asked for her parents work certificate which we didn't have. For all these things I only blame myself and will learn for the future. I had her I-20 made at a English school that was supposed to first help her learn English then help her transfer. I didn't clarify that part.

We are trying again this week with much more clarification and I will keep everyone updated. If she fails this time I will find a High School to accept her. It took forever something like 2 1/2 to 3 hours from her entrance inside to her denial. One important note was that our first attempt was more concentrated on why I want to help her and no evidence on why she will return. This time its going to be all evidence.

One note, I looked everywhere online and it said the DS-157 is for males over 16 years of age and she is only 15. I didn't fill it out and when she went inside they asked her for it. Also, the people that passed were asked to pay 20 or so RMB for the postage of the Visa so make sure they go to the interview with a little money with them.

Last time both of Nicola's grandparents had to try three times before they were given their visitor's visa so I'm not discouraged to try again. I will update on our results next week.

Just to update everyone,

She failed her second F-1 visa. I have to say I can't blame the consolate. We had a I-20 from a English School that accepted her and everyone that we saw had I-20s from Colleges. It seemed to me that about 20% of those applying for College were accepted and each time she went in to interview they said they are sorry but its bad enough she isn't going to College because she is 15 but she isn't even accepted to a High School.

in the spirit of improving our situation we may try again and this time get her accepted in High School. Good luck to everyone else.

I used to work at the Brit Consulate and came across lots of student visa applications. I suppose VOs even from different countries share some common understanding. Let me analyse this case from the VO's prospect:

1. Sponsoring by a cousin

A cousin is not next of kin. In China it's not common sponsoring a cousin to study abroad . It's not common for Americans to sponsor a cousin-in-law to study abroad either. This is a huge investment, because you are supposed to cover all her expenses until she finishes her undergrad courses. Why would someone be willing to spend tons of $$ on her cousin's study? You must provide very strong and solid evidence about why you are willing to invest around 2 million RMB in her study in the US.

2. Intention of study

No clear intention of study is a top-ranking reason for refusal. 99% of the applicants who only got an offer of a language school are refused because language courses are only pre-sessional courses, while the major courses count. Usually we advise students to apply for the major courses first and then the course provider will advise the applicants on whether s/he will need to take pre-sessional english courses and if yes how long it will be. "Why does she want to study in the US? not UK? not other countries? what course is she going to study? What's her future plan?" She needs to be very clear about these questions because they are the most frequently asked ones.The intention should not be that you guys want to bring her to the States, but what she really thinks. She's still very young and she might not even know what she wants. I suppose her answers during the interview are not satisfactory.

3. Finance

I'm not quite sure about your finance situation. However, this is also the top-ranking reason for refusal.

4. Immigration intention

If she has good family background, it can be a strong tie for her to return.

FYI, in China only about 20-30 out of 100 applicants for overseas studies apply for high schools courses and not many of them were granted visa. Those successful cases usually fall into 2 catories: 1) The applicants do not have a very good academic record but from rich families; 2) The applicants are super intelligent and from rich families.

If you let me know the questions and answers during the girl's interview I will be able to give you more details on the problems and improvement.