Permanent Green Card

Howdy, Long time no speak. Been very busy. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had a situation like I am in.

My wife spent over 8 yrs here in school with an "L" visa then when it expired, went back to China until we got our Fiancee Visa Approval, then got married.

When my wife got her Green Card, it was a Permanent Green Card, not a Conditional Green Card that expires in 2 yrs. The expiration date on the green card is actually for 10 years.

We have been starting the I-751 process but was wondering if the good ole US of A screwed up and gave the wrong green card.

Questions:

1. Has this happened to you?

2. Would you chance calling USCIS to have them admit a mistake therefore creating havoc?

3. Would this affect the process for citizenship next year?

4. Any words of advice?

Thanks in advance. We are really lost

Edited by Squid (see edit history)

Hmmmm, I need you're kind of luck. :lol:

The I-751 states it must be filed within 90 days of expiration of the conditional status, now if in their infinite wisdom the USCIS issued a 10 year card you don't need to file an I-751.

You could check with the USCIS, but they will tell you they don't make mistakes. :Dah:

Double check the expiration date, but if it is really for 10 years then don't rock the boat.

Hmmmm, I need you're kind of luck. :lol:

The I-751 states it must be filed within 90 days of expiration of the conditional status, now if in their infinite wisdom the USCIS issued a 10 year card you don't need to file an I-751.

You could check with the USCIS, but they will tell you they don't make mistakes. :Dah:

Double check the expiration date, but if it is really for 10 years then don't rock the boat.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, her Green Card clearly has a 10 yr expiration.

We had an approved 3 month fiancee visa. She then came back to the states where we were married. We then applied for the Conditional Resident Card to which should show a 2 year expiration (as does one of her friends.)

Her Green Card says, Permanent Green Card with a yr 2016 expiration date.

Am I going crazy, is there a conspiracy, or am I just plain stupid?

Edited by Squid (see edit history)

We had an approved 3 month fiancee visa. She then came back to the states where we were married. We then applied for the Conditional Resident Card to which should show a 2 year expiration (as does one of her friends.)

All 3. Congratulations

To be on the safe side I would call USCIS and confirm immigrations status or better yet do an info pass and ask about this. USCIS could very well have status as conditional and expiring 2 years after becoming LPR. The card may have been incorrectly printed.

If you do not file I-751, and USCIS has the status correct on their system as 2 year conditional, you can very well find your self dealing with a removal order.

I was thinking the same thing...to confirm status with a phone call to the USCIS.

I can't imagine life without her.

You may find it next to impossible for you to gain information on her status unless you are registered as her representative. This may require an infopass appointment with the two of you going.

Be extremely cautious in the wording of your questions or you may be forced to file an I-751 where one wasn't previously required.

Sounds to me like someone screwed up ... in your favor.

I'd do an Infopass appointment to talk to someone to make sure all is ok, but I'd hate to have you shoot yourself in the foot if they make you jump through more hoops now.

Does the welcome to America letter say anything special?

Update:

Used the phone number from this link: Click Here

The guy said that her status was a valid 10 yr permanent citizen. We also got his unique ID to prove we did ask the question.

I think we are going to leave it at that. Next year, she will apply to be a US Citizen.

Why can't I be normal?

What about the NOA letter that came with the green card? If this was only a typo or print or production error on the card, the letter wording should spell out, exactly, which card was issued.

Seems unnecessary to worry if the letter and the phone call confirm permanent- as in 10 year card?