Teaching Chinese

Hi there,

I was wondering if any members here if their SO is teaching Chinese to other members, private courses. if so, how much is a reasonable figure to charge per hour or per session.

How much are private teachers going for now a days to teach chinese?

thanks.

Cheers!

Yu is teaching Chinese at a school every Saturday. I believe for $15 per hour.

Curious Dan. Did your wife have any previous teaching experience prior to coming to the US? If not, how did she prepare for doing something so new?

Yep, she was an English teacher and vice principal at a private foreign language school in Yangshuo.

Hehe I love it! They have not changed the web page!

http://www.westschool.com.cn/Staff-eng.htm (She is "Rosemary just below Greg)

Anyway many private Chinese language schools here are always happy to have anyone fluent in Chinese teach.

Yu is teaching Chinese at a school every Saturday. I believe for $15 per hour.

Curious Dan. Did your wife have any previous teaching experience prior to coming to the US? If not, how did she prepare for doing something so new?

Yep, she was an English teacher and vice principal at a private foreign language school in Yangshuo.

Hehe I love it! They have not changed the web page!

http://www.westschool.com.cn/Staff-eng.htm (She is "Rosemary just below Greg)

Anyway many private Chinese language schools here are always happy to have anyone fluent in Chinese teach.

:D That's pretty cool. Some shady looking characters from Australia though. :P

It's nice she had that background when she got here.

:D That's pretty cool. Some shady looking characters from Australia though. :P

You are very close to the mark there, Greg Greening who is the school president is from California originally, I did some research into him, and he lived for a while in Japan, and then later lived in New Zealand where he ran a business, and later filed bankruptcy, and moved to China. Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

:P That's pretty cool. Some shady looking characters from Australia though. :P

You are very close to the mark there, Greg Greening who is the school president is from California originally, I did some research into him, and he lived for a while in Japan, and then later lived in New Zealand where he ran a business, and later filed bankruptcy, and moved to China.

Sounds like he's staying one step ahead of something. :D

You are very close to the mark there, Greg Greening who is the school president is from California originally, I did some research into him, and he lived for a while in Japan, and then later lived in New Zealand where he ran a business, and later filed bankruptcy, and moved to China.

Yes, that is what I figure about Gregg.

Anyway, when I was chatting and emailing Yu, in the early days, she mentioned in one of her emails that she was a school teacher in Yangshou, so I did some searching and found her school and saw her on the school website, so I knew I was dealing with an honest and true lady. After finding the website, I had no doubts about who I was dealing with.

Anyway, when I was chatting and emailing Yu, in the early days, she mentioned in one of her emails that she was a school teacher in Yangshou, so I did some searching and found her school and saw her on the school website, so I knew I was dealing with an honest and true lady. After finding the website, I had no doubts about who I was dealing with.

Wow. I'll bet we can count on part of one hand how many members here were able to have that kind of independant verification. Good for you.

Wow. I'll bet we can count on part of one hand how many members here were able to have that kind of independant verification. Good for you.

I pointed this out to my Yu last night, it brought a big smile to her face.

I pointed this out to my Yu last night, it brought a big smile to her face.

Happy to help. :)

• 3 weeks later...

it's probably a regional thing - here in the seattle area, tutors get $20-35 per hour for 1 on 1, 15-20 for 2 people, 10-15 for 3 or more

do a search at craigslist.com for 'chinese' or 'chinese tutor' in the 'services' category to see what the local rate is

while she's looking for the right situation, she might also want to pick up some part-time work translating letters and/or business documents, too - you'll see listings for those at craigslist too

Lusheng teaches Chinese also, she teaches at a Chinese Church. I think the congregations around 100 and they have a bunch of childern there that are growing up not speaking and writing Chinese properly so she works with them. She taught Middle School Chinese and English for 13 yrs in China..