Received AP Docs Today

Today, while waiting to receive an RFE for not sending the proper amount of photos with our I-485 application (only sent two photos for the AOS and none for AP or EAD), we received an envelope containing two I-512L's, Authorization for Parole from USCIS.

Both have the "Approved" box checked and state they are good for one year of date of issue. Both have a photo of my wife in the bottom left hand corner with a raised seal and a signature. The box to the right on the bottom does not have anything in it, but above it reads National Benefits Center Parole Stamp. I assume this document will be stamped if we use it upon return to the U.S. ...correct?

Now, are we able to travel to say...Mexico, Bahamas or elsewhere other than China as we stated on our application?

Thanks,

Clayton

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)

Thanks Randy, Rob, Dave and scooby.

Feeling lucky that I didn't receive the RFE and if I recall, there are a couple of others that filed around the same time who also did not send the correct number of photos. I hope they are as lucky as us.

We have yet to receive the EAD, but Wen Li is in no hurry to find work as her English is...um, should I say "our" English at this point.

Dave...most likely Mexico, but we'll both have to learn how to hold a taco with chopsticks prior to departure!

Clayton

Guest Mike and Lily

Today, while waiting to receive an RFE for not sending the proper amount of photos with our I-485 application (only sent two photos for the AOS and none for AP or EAD), we received an envelope containing two I-512L's, Authorization for Parole from USCIS.

Both have the "Approved" box checked and state they are good for one year of date of issue. Both have a photo of my wife in the bottom left hand corner with a raised seal and a signature. The box to the right on the bottom does not have anything in it, but above it reads National Benefits Center Parole Stamp. I assume this document will be stamped if we use it upon return to the U.S. ...correct?

Now, are we able to travel to say...Mexico, Bahamas or elsewhere other than China as we stated on our application?

Thanks,

Clayton

We only sent in two photos as well. No RFE and Lily got the green card today! Don't worry about it!

AP let's your spouse back in the US - it doesn't permit her to travel to other countries; each country has its own rules.

I believe Mexico and the Bahamas will allow green card holders to enter (basically treating them as US citizens) .. and if you're driving into Mexico, it shouldn't be a problem at all ... BUT make sure you check the visa rules for each country BEFORE you go. Just Google their US consulates to see how they treat US permanent residents, how they treat Chinese citizens, and, if you can, how they treat people who have applications pending. You may be required to get a visa before she gets the permanent residency card, and maybe even after.

Again, AP and green cards only permit entry into the US and do not necessarily allow travel to any other country - but some countries DO treat US permanent residents like US citizens for travel purposes - so check with the country BEFORE you go.

Edit: Just in case the question was will you have a problem entering the US from a country other than China - NO, that's fine. AP let's you re-enter the US from any foreign country, not just the country of citizenship.

Edited by NY-Viking (see edit history)

Thanks again Randy.

Biometrics in the AM and this is perhaps why we haven't received our EAD. I do recall that two photos each were required per instructions that I failed to follow for each application, making the total of 6 with our AOS/EAD/AP applications. Most important to us is the AOS and AP. Applied for the EAD because we could...for free!

Mike,

Much Congrats! A beautiful sight I'm sure. Now sit back and relax. We will hope our 2 yr. GC is a short wait this way we won't even need the AP's we received.

NY,

Thanks so much for the details. I will certainly check any countries requirements prior to travel. I would never forgive myself if I allowed my wife to find any type of complication on a wonderful chance to travel.

Thanks for giving me the foresight to check not only returning, but departing to a country we wish to vacation in.

Clayton

The 2 copies of AP are for entry into the US, one copy can be claimed by the airline or carrier bringing her back to the US as a record that she has permission to travel to the US, the other is collected at the POE and they put a stamp in her passport for Advanced Parole, usually with a 1 year expiration date from the date of entry.