Dual file K3 - CR-1

Do they get the Green Card on upon entry into the US with a CR-1 or is it sent shortly after the arrive?

The POE officer will stamp passport with I-551 stamp, making passport a temp green-card, and the actual card arrives in the mail shortly after.

So accentually the CR-1 holder gets green-card immediately upon arrival into the USA.

Dan is right, like always. :lol:

My wife arrived on a CR1.

two weeks after arriving, Received GC.

Two weeks after that received SS#.

One week after that was working in the U.S.

So 5 weeks after arriving in the U.S. on a CR1.

Received GC, SS#, and was working.

What kind of English skills did your wife have upon arriving in the US? Ada is fearful that her English is not going to be good enough to work shortly after she gets here. I want her to feel comfortable before she works, which she wants to do. :lol:

My wife's english was fair.

When i say fair, I mean very little.

though she did some English courses in China before arriving here but it only tough her the basics. You ABC.

You will be the best teacher for your wife.

As for my wife working and speaking English, Hay, She works with me at the same company and no one else speaks English so it does not matter.

In fact she is learning spanish now. :P

So there you have it, A Chinese woman that speaks Chinese, English and now Spanish.

What more could ya ask for??

Don't worry corbin buddy, Your Little women will do just fine!!

PS:

feel comfortable before she works, which she wants to do.

It's in there blood, WORK,WORK,WORK and SAVE,SAVE,SAVE.

Wait until she learns the word, OVERTIME! :D $$$$$$

Can you say 24/7/365?? $$$$

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of English skills did your wife have upon arriving in the US? Ada is fearful that her English is not going to be good enough to work shortly after she gets here. I want her to feel comfortable before she works, which she wants to do. ;)

This is a crucial issue... without english, her job opportunities are obviously limited; if there are chinese business or connections, she's likely to get 'in the chinese network' and work choices might also open up.

If she arrives with a K3, she cannot get a Social security card until she gets the EAD from filing Adjustment of Status (File AOS and EAD together)... Once she gets the EAD, she can get SS card and then you can get her also added to bank accounts and what not... which seems a catch-22; you will file for AOS and not have much joint stuff (bank account, credit cards) till she gets the SS card.

If you go K3, plan ahead and ask about such things and your work policies for need a SS to add her to some stuff (ie: insurance, 401K).

If you go CR1, she will get the GC quickly and can do work and get the SSN within days...

I tend to advise the CR1 since it gives the lady more options and feeling of control upon arriving in the US... (they may be the one of the biggest issues I hear from chinese ladies--lack of control they feel in first few months and dependent/waiting on the US government [again])... and if you pick the wrong method that bothers her later... well, let's just say that the 'training' will ramp up :P

What kind of English skills did your wife have upon arriving in the US? Ada is fearful that her English is not going to be good enough to work shortly after she gets here. I want her to feel comfortable before she works, which she wants to do. :o

This is a crucial issue... without english, her job opportunities are obviously limited; if there are chinese business or connections, she's likely to get 'in the chinese network' and work choices might also open up.

If she arrives with a K3, she cannot get a Social security card until she gets the EAD from filing Adjustment of Status (File AOS and EAD together)... Once she gets the EAD, she can get SS card and then you can get her also added to bank accounts and what not... which seems a catch-22; you will file for AOS and not have much joint stuff (bank account, credit cards) till she gets the SS card.

If you go K3, plan ahead and ask about such things and your work policies for need a SS to add her to some stuff (ie: insurance, 401K).

If you go CR1, she will get the GC quickly and can do work and get the SSN within days...

I tend to advise the CR1 since it gives the lady more options and feeling of control upon arriving in the US... (they may be the one of the biggest issues I hear from chinese ladies--lack of control they feel in first few months and dependent/waiting on the US government [again])... and if you pick the wrong method that bothers her later... well, let's just say that the 'training' will ramp up :P

Can I say three times,

:happybday: :D :angry:

Guest Rob & Jin

I was under the impression you can with K-1 get a ss# (just stamped "not authorized to work" after arrival . Correct me if I'm wrong :happybday:

Yes, but the thread is about K-3/CR-1

Darn you quick, replied before I edited it :D

same for K-3 ?

not same for K3.

---

Each case is really individual and to go for either one is usually going to contain more issues and concerns than are shared or even understood at the time.

A K3 has served alot of people very well and was started for a good reason... mostly in the past but at least it is still an option now.

If the lady really has no need/desire to work and just wants to get over quickly as a spouse, then a K3 will probably be statistically faster. But realize that an SOs desire to get here 'faster' may simply be a desire to get life moving to the next step.. and if they get here and cannot move to a next step of work, then a K3 will be frustrating once in the US at a time you don't want petty issues.

But I would say that the decision should be as rational as possible and not get caught up in "faster is better"... this is very subjective and often looking at only one phase (getting to the US and not considering what the next steps will require once in the US).

Again, for the general spousal case, my personal opinion is that a CR1 is OVERALL the better path if one looks at the 2 year process of getting the GC. But the K3 is a good choice for some.

same for K-3 ?

not same for K3.

---

Each case is really individual and to go for either one is usually going to contain more issues and concerns than are shared or even understood at the time.

A K3 has served alot of people very well and was started for a good reason... mostly in the past but at least it is still an option now.

If the lady really has no need/desire to work and just wants to get over quickly as a spouse, then a K3 will probably be statistically faster. But realize that an SOs desire to get here 'faster' may simply be a desire to get life moving to the next step.. and if they get here and cannot move to a next step of work, then a K3 will be frustrating once in the US at a time you don't want petty issues.

But I would say that the decision should be as rational as possible and not get caught up in "faster is better"... this is very subjective and often looking at only one phase (getting to the US and not considering what the next steps will require once in the US).

Again, for the general spousal case, my personal opinion is that a CR1 is OVERALL the better path if one looks at the 2 year process of getting the GC. But the K3 is a good choice for some.

David I agree with you on this and it is the difficult part to explain to our loved one at times. They are thinking in terms of getting to America and not always thinking about what next.

In my case she is missing me and wants to be here the soonest she can. She is also worried about her English to get a job so doesn't think she can work right away.

Then I also have to deal with misinformation that she gets from friends or friend of a friend that are here in America or are farther along in the visa process. What I think happens is the US spouse or fiancee/fiance tells the Chinese loved one something and it is not fully understood, then is told to their friend wrongly, our loved one. This can drive you crazy when you try to tell them they have it wrong. You don't want them thinking that you think they are an idiot, but just want them to know that they were told the wrong thing by a well meaning friend.

For those who come over and cannot speak english so well... my wife is a big advocate that they should go to ESL... I think the work 'itch' got to my wife quickly and she decided that she could get paid to learn english while working.. sometimes there is no end to their pragmatism :yahoo:

Exactly, My Yu did a temp job until her I-94 expired, fortunately she got green card last August, and could work again after that. She has been attending ESL classes, and is now doing a home-based business.

same for K-3 ?

not same for K3.

---

Yes David,

And also, it may not just be the wife that feels this way. It may in fact be the USC and/or it may be a joint view/decision. Others should not try to impart/transfer their individual life circumstance on those who may have differing life circumstances.

Shit, I will be fully retired on June 1st, after 33 hard years of honorable service. Therefore, I am not going to send Lao Po, freshly arrived in this country, off to work everyday. And in our situation, she will not be left home alone all day, as I will no longer be working 10 hour days.

I will have retired in the upper management ranks of my agency and I feel blessed that my retirement package is excellent, and includes medical and dental coverage for Lao Po and daughter. She too, has worked her butt off all of her life, and always as a single mom to boot.

We plan on jointly doing some part-time internet importing business here in the US, facilitated with her family members in GZ, who are principals in varied manufacturing companies in that region, and otherwise just enjoy life and our children together. Also we plan on a lot of RV travel within the US.

Moreover, in about two weeks, we will have been married for 17 months. By the time she arrives and our AOS paperwork is processed, we will have been married two years, and she will be eligible for the ten year GC. Also, as has been discussed, the K-3 and K-4, allow for travel back and forth to China without AP; therefore, all of [our] needs are met with the K-3, pending AOS.

Yes, we are ready to get on with the rest of our life, and as soon as possible.

K-3 and K-4 works for me/us, in my/our situation. For those who do not care about a longer wait, and wish to have their spouse fully adjusted and eligible to go out in the job market, shortly after arrival; then the CR-1 will work for them, that is their joint choice/decision.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

same for K-3 ?

not same for K3.

---

Yes David,

And also, it may not just be the wife that feels this way. It may in fact be the USC and/or it may be a joint view/decision. Others should not try to impart/transfer their individual life circumstance on those who may have differing life circumstances.

Shit, I will be fully retired on June 1st, after 33 hard years of honorable service. Therefore, I am not going to send Lao Po, freshly arrived in this country, off to work everyday. And in our situation, she will not be left home alone all day, as I will no longer be working 10 hour days.

I will have retired in the upper management ranks of my agency and I feel blessed that my retirement package is excellent, and includes medical and dental coverage for Lao Po and daughter. She too, has worked her butt off all of her life, and always as a single mom to boot.

We plan on jointly doing some part-time internet importing business here in the US, facilitated with her family members in GZ, who are principals in varied manufacturing companies in that region, and otherwise just enjoy life and our children together. Also we plan on a lot of RV travel within the US.

Moreover, in about two weeks, we will have been married for 17 months. By the time she arrives and our AOS paperwork is processed, we will have been married two years, and she will be eligible for the ten year GC. Also, as has been discussed, the K-3 and K-4, allow for travel back and forth to China without AP; therefore, all of [our] needs are met with the K-3, pending AOS.

K-3 and K-4 works for me/us, in my/our situation. For those who do not care about a longer wait, and wish to have their spouse fully adjusted and eligible to go out in the job market, shortly after arrival; then the CR-1 will work for them, that is their joint choice/decision.

Congratulatuions on your well earned retirement Roger- 33 years in the same organization, tragically you are the part of a dying breed -jim

same for K-3 ?

not same for K3.

---

Yes David,

Congratulatuions on your well earned retirement Roger- 33 years in the same organization, tragically you are the part of a dying breed -jim

The shame is those that want to stay in the same organization don't always get the chance to do that.

I too am interested in a dual CR-1 and K-3. I have learned that there are at least 2 members here that did not abandon their I-130.

Yes, there is some other change for USCIS, clearly stating that the I-130 will be 'captured' at NVC for later processing for AOS , but even that is meaningless (from a procedural standpoint) as ANOTHER collection of forms needs to be submitted once she's here.

However, I do see a tiny loophole, and I am gonna try to take advantage of it. On that one info page, it was mentioned (I paraphrase here) If you are filing a K-3 (I-130 and I-129F) and If you do not want the I-130 abandoned, you must clearly state this on the I-130 .

So I'm putting some extra words on the form pages, and on all other documents that I'm submitting. Thank God I still have an old typewriter, I can type in my phrases anywhere on the form where's there's some extra space.

For me, is not a concept of money , is a concept of timing and travel.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)