I'm sure this has been asked before, but we decided on the spur of the moment to visit friends in Toronto over the long weekend, and I need a quick answer.

Will Lily and our son have any trouble entering Canada or re-entering the U.S. with their Green Cards and chinese passports?

Thanks

Been there, done that Yu has the "t" shirts from Toronto to prove it.

Green-card holders are allowed travel to Canada, Mexico, and the neighboring Islands in the Caribbean without a Visa.

We drove across into Canada, all I handed the Canadian border guard were my passport, and Yu's green-card. And on the way back we did the same with the American POE.

If flying all you all will need passports to go to Canada, and of course the green-cards to re-enter the USA.

Thanks, guys............I forgot to mention that we will be driving,.

Which way are you going to cross?

At Niagara Falls? If Niagara Falls, Please let us know.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Really!

The green card issued after AOS?

...and no visa required to enter Canada?

This is great news. The Canadian guard at the crossing here in Eureka told me that she would not be allowed to enter without a Canadian visa. He was just a kid and maybe new on the job.

I sure hope you guys are correct! That puts a great little China town reasonably close to us.

Really!

The green card issued after AOS?

...and no visa required to enter Canada?

This is great news. The Canadian guard at the crossing here in Eureka told me that she would not be allowed to enter without a Canadian visa. He was just a kid and maybe new on the job.

I sure hope you guys are correct! That puts a great little China town reasonably close to us.

AOS Approval results in a Green-Card.

Yep, no visa for Canada for Green-Card holders.

Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

My wife and I entered Canada (driving) at Niagara Falls April '07. We got a ton of 'nosy' questions when leaving the US side.

For Re-entry at US, still at Niagara, we presented my wife's Driver's License and her Green Card then heard, "Please Wait, I'll be right back."

Last Fall, also '07, we re-entered (driving) US up near Glacier National Park. This time it was the same as Niagra Falls plus "please open your trunk."

Her Chinese Passport was neither offered nor requested. And, no, we did not have a Canadian Visa.

The Canadian travel visa would be needed, pre-AOS/GC.

I am planning a boating trip to Victoria, BC from Roche Harbor, WA with friends, late this summer. I am sure, wife and daughter will not have their GC's that soon; therefore, I will have to apply for a two week travel visa, to attach to their PRC passports, along with their US visas.

Follow up:

8 hours after leaving Knoxville we enterred Canada at Detroit. We presented my passport and Lily and James' GC to Canadian border official.

"where are you from?............what is your destination? .........How long are you staying?.......... Firearms, alcohol, tobacco?.....have a nice day."

In Detroit, I-75 is closed at the Canadian Bridge crossing, and they re-route you thru some city roads to the bridge entrance. It's a mess, and confusing, but not too crowded.

I am planning a boating trip to Victoria, BC from Roche Harbor, WA with friends, late this summer. I am sure, wife and daughter will not have their GC's that soon; therefore, I will have to apply for a two week travel visa, to attach to their PRC passports, along with their US visas.

Correct, if only have a K-3 visa or a K-1 with AP (I-131) you will need to have a visa to enter Canada.

My wife had a layover in Canada about a year and a half ago on a trip back to China; she had the option of spending the night in B.C., and I have an aunt there, so she decided to enter Canada and spend the night. Beautiful area.

Anyway, she had her green card and Chinese passport, but tells me she was given the third degree about why she was entering Canada, how long she intended to stay, etc., etc. They eventually let her in, but did give her a bit of a hassle. And of course, no visa required.

Roger,

Let me know where you went to do this. I am planning a short trip to Canada after our baby is born in May. I will need this travel Visa as well. (I have not yet sent in her I-485..still working OT for it..this week it will go out for sure..see my other email to you)

Mark