AOS interview for my 13 year old son (K2)

It should be pretty much automatic approval but you should bring the same kind of evidence you would bring for your wife. Proof that you are all living together and are a family. School records with his address on them, health insurance documents with his name on them from your work, income tax records showing he was claimed as a dependent, envelopes with his name and address that have been delivered to the house.

Be sure to bring everything you have filed in the process, including your wifes papers. They can ask for anything.

When we went they asked for nothing, but then we had everything with us. I'd be willing to bet that if we didn't bring it they would have asked for something.

As it was the interview was a non-interview interview, the IO only asked if he was a criminal or committed visa fraud. You might want to review the basic questions on the I-485. We had to work out the questions with our son using a pocket translator, he wouldn't let my wife explain the question to him and then IO answered the questions before we got finished. :rolleyes:

Be sure to bring everything you have filed in the process, including your wifes papers. They can ask for anything.

When we went they asked for nothing, but then we had everything with us. I'd be willing to bet that if we didn't bring it they would have asked for something.

As it was the interview was a non-interview interview, the IO only asked if he was a criminal or committed visa fraud. You might want to review the basic questions on the I-485. We had to work out the questions with our son using a pocket translator, he wouldn't let my wife explain the question to him and then IO answered the questions before we got finished. :bangin:

Thanks for the quick replies!

Has anyone ever compiled a list of things to bring for K2 AOS interview?

As it was the interview was a non-interview interview, the IO only asked if he was a criminal or committed visa fraud. You might want to review the basic questions on the I-485. We had to work out the questions with our son using a pocket translator, he wouldn't let my wife explain the question to him and then IO answered the questions before we got finished. :D

I'm not aware of anyone putting a K-2 specific list together, I would say that a large percentage of K-2's share their interview with the K-1 visa holder, the follow-to-join cases are much less common.

With that in mind we took everything we filed for K-1 and K-2, plus the items mentioned above:

• School report card
  • Proof of Health Insurance
  • Income tax showing child as dependent
  • Copy of Library Card
  • Copy of State ID
  • Cover of Lego Magazine addressed to our son
  • Drawing son made of home and family
  • Family picture, seen in my profile.

And they asked for nothing, I tried to get the IO to include the picture our son had drawn and apparently he is childless as he didn't understand the importance of it or the heart of an 11 year old boy.

A kind person would have accepted it and made small talk with our son and made it seem important, shoot he could have kept it and discarded it after we left.

Truly the K-2 interview for a child is pretty much a non-interview interview, but they do have the ability to ask for evidence of your relationship with your wife, so take everything. We also took the registration for a car we purchased together that wasn't included at the K-1 interview in the event they wanted to see more ongoing evidence of relationship with my wife.

But like I said, they wanted nothing other than to consume our time without wanting any additional evidence.

As it was the interview was a non-interview interview, the IO only asked if he was a criminal or committed visa fraud. You might want to review the basic questions on the I-485. We had to work out the questions with our son using a pocket translator, he wouldn't let my wife explain the question to him and then IO answered the questions before we got finished. :P

I'm not aware of anyone putting a K-2 specific list together, I would say that a large percentage of K-2's share their interview with the K-1 visa holder, the follow-to-join cases are much less common.

With that in mind we took everything we filed for K-1 and K-2, plus the items mentioned above:

• School report card
  • Copy of Library Card
  • Copy of State ID

And they asked for nothing, I tried to get the IO to include the picture our son had drawn and apparently he is childless as he didn't understand the importance of it or the heart of an 11 year old boy.

A kind person would have accepted it and made small talk with our son and made it seem important, shoot he could have kept it and discarded it after we left.

Truly the K-2 interview for a child is pretty much a non-interview interview, but they do have the ability to ask for evidence of your relationship with your wife, so take everything. We also took the registration for a car we purchased together that wasn't included at the K-1 interview in the event they wanted to see more ongoing evidence of relationship with my wife.

But like I said, they wanted nothing other than to consume our time without wanting any additional evidence.

Maybe a silly question, but will deal with it soon enough! The Mrs. AOS interview and K-2 are not the same day?? :D

As it was the interview was a non-interview interview, the IO only asked if he was a criminal or committed visa fraud. You might want to review the basic questions on the I-485. We had to work out the questions with our son using a pocket translator, he wouldn't let my wife explain the question to him and then IO answered the questions before we got finished. :lol:

• School report card
  • Copy of Library Card
  • Copy of State ID

Maybe a silly question, but will deal with it soon enough! The Mrs. AOS interview and K-2 are not the same day?? ;)

I'd try scheduling them both together if possible, K-1 and K-2 interviews can be conducted together and if they say no, then get them on the same day so you only have to take one day of USCIS vacation.

This really comes into play with the removal of conditions, if their Green Card issue date is within 90 days of each other you pay one fee instead of two, because the child can be included with the parent.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)