FromChinaToUSA web site blocked by the Great Fire Wall of China?

My fiancee in Guangzhou can not access the FromChinaToUSA bbs. I'm guessing the Chinese government is blocking it. Anyone else having this problem? Is the website is mirrored on another server that she might reach?

Thanks.

I think there might be another thread running around here somewhere about this......yes it is blocked but I think some of the e-geniuses have figured out how to get around the wall........

Use a proxy server. You can go to a site like http://www.publicproxyservers.com/ and choose one of their proxy lists. Under 'Tools', 'Options', 'Advanced', 'Network', 'Settings', in your Browseer's menu, enter manual proxy settings and enter an IP address and Port # from the list.

Choose one that's in a third country.

The browser will go first to that server, which will redirect the request to the web site you've requested.

To the "Great Firewall", it will appear to be a request to the third-party proxy server and will let it go through

I heard back from enight.

Hi Carl.. it's good to hear from you again.. we are doing very well.. thank you

Yes.. our website has been blocked by Chinese gov long time ago.. it has been at least 2 years... I think.

that's why I have suggested girls (or guys) who want to join our forum from China to wait till they get into the States.

I don't have a proxy server for people in China to access our website, but they should be able to find lots of proxy addresses online.. just by typing in "proxy address" into search engine (in Chinese/English).

Thank you for always so helpful... please say hi to Bing for me..

Hugs

• 2 weeks later...

My fiancee in Guangzhou can not access the FromChinaToUSA bbs. I'm guessing the Chinese government is blocking it. Anyone else having this problem? Is the website is mirrored on another server that she might reach?

Thanks.

You could try using Tor Project which is better than just plain proxy servers. Many proxy servers are unsecure and many are blocked by Chinese government.

http://www.torproject.org/index.html.en

If you install this program and use firefox, it will also install the firefox plug in, so no configuration needed.

Edited by john90 (see edit history)

I tried using Tor on Firefox once before when Lei and I were having problems, I had installed it on her browser and never got it working O.o isn't it as simple as turning it on and then browsing or is there something I was missing?

I didn't have any issues with running Tor, pretty straight forward. Their latest download includes Vidalia which makes the install process easier.

http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-windows.html.en

Read the FAQ section as well, you may have some software conflicts with other plugins.

Edited by john90 (see edit history)