Another reason to be careful

Yes, yikes, Chinese justice is known to apply the death penalty for negligence like that. The restaurant manager has a lot of explaining to do.

I rarely eat at a place because the food is cheap, this is perhaps one of the reasons why. They have to cut corners somewhere. Yes, this could very well have been some of us and our ladies. Pretty scary.

This one hits to close to home for a few of us here on CFL. Mark and I still have our ladies there in Shenzhen. :(

I rarely eat at a place because the food is cheap, this is perhaps one of the reasons why. They have to cut corners somewhere. Yes, this could very well have been some of us and our ladies. Pretty scary.

This one hits to close to home for a few of us here on CFL. Mark and I still have our ladies there in Shenzhen. :lol:

I dont think they are cutting corners with substituting salt for sodium nitrite :blink:

Isn't sodium nitrite one of the components in gun powder?

My old recipe called for potassium nitrate.

Then again sodium nitrate may work??? Think there is a tiny bit of it in my jerky compounds.

Timothy Mc Vey used ammonium nitrate (fertilizer) on the Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma City. :blink:

Edited by Chinese Wife!!! (see edit history)

I've always been lucky with the food, but usually go where I'm told to go. The only times I ventured out on my own was in Guangzhou (when I lived there) and that was usually for business meetings / nosh. I was told to stay away from precooked street food, but mostly 'cooked when you order' street food was ok. YMMV.

This is terrible news! The person that did this needs to eat their own food!!! I hate salt and sugar and I do not eat meat. Whenever my wife and I are in cities other than her home, we only eat in small roadside places where we can see the food being cooked. She insists that they do not use salt and she watches them like a hawk. We need to protect ourselves whenever possible.

This one hits to close to home for a few of us here on CFL. Mark and I still have our ladies there in Shenzhen. :)

Yes Corbin, going back soon.................. <_<

We are pretty careful where we eat, might be eating PB&J the next trip!! :(

My old recipe called for potassium nitrate.

Then again sodium nitrate may work??? Think there is a tiny bit of it in my jerky compounds.

Timothy Mc Vey used ammonium nitrate (fertilizer) on the Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma City. :)

They sound the same and are confusing, but very different:

Sodium nitrite, with chemical formula NaNO2, is used as a color fixative and preservative in meats and fish.

Sodium nitrate with chemical formula NaNO3, is a white solid which is very soluble in water. Sodium nitrate is used as an ingredient in fertilizers, explosives, and in solid rocket propellants.