I currently have the copy of my marriage certificate, and everything else needed to prove the familial relationship with my wife, but because we have no property or bills together, I have to submit a sworn affidavit from a third party that has knowledge of our relationship. If I type up an affidavit, should I have someone from the bank notarize it as well. I was going to have my mother sign as one who has knowledge. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I currently have the copy of my marriage certificate, and everything else needed to prove the familial relationship with my wife, but because we have no property or bills together, I have to submit a sworn affidavit from a third party that has knowledge of our relationship. If I type up an affidavit, should I have someone from the bank notarize it as well. I was going to have my mother sign as one who has knowledge. Any suggestions?

Thanks

With respect to the new (early last year) requirement for the ¡®Evidence of a Bona Fide Marriage¡¯ and item #5, the Affidavit; I included the same with my petition submitted last May.

I submitted two affidavits. One from a close friend with personal knowledge and another from a family member (brother) with the same knowledge. I located the correct format for a legal affidavit for my state, California, and then had the two parties draft their language and enter it on the approved form. They each signed their affirmation and included all of their verifiable contact info. I suppose it would be more correct to have them notarized, so I would recommend you do. Neither of my references have been contacted either in writing or by phone, by the USCIS or DOS, as of this date, and I doubt that they will be.

Next, don¡¯t forget item #6: ¡°Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union¡°. In this regard I submitted a signed letter which contained the evolution/chronology of our relationship. Also, our [joint] tax return and Form W-7/ITIN info that had been recently filed. These items also have a nexus to item #3, "co-mingling of financial resources". Further, I am fortunate to have excellent health/dental insurance from my work, so I also included the documented evidence of current coverage for wife and daughter as an additional exhibit. Each of these items, lending themselves to the bona fides of the marital relationship.

I was most likely one of the first few (here at CFL) of the CR-1-2, and K-3-4, petitioners to file under these new guidelines for the I-130. As a footnote, even though not required, I also included the same info, including the affidavits with my I-129F petition, as I had a very good feeling, early-on, that I would not be prusuing the CR-1, and wanted this same bona fides info included with the file that would end up at GUZ.

My decision.

Thanks

Glad to see this posted here as this whole "Evidence of Bona Fide Marital Relationship" thing has me puzzled as well... According to the USCIS, Form I-130 requires (among other things):

"Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage)"

It's fairly straightforward right up to the part where they ask for "complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage". What exactly would be considered "complete information" and how would the person acquire knowledge of my marriage other than by my telling them? And would my telling them be evidence enough?

Should it be someone who was present during the marriage registration in China?

Is it okay to use a family member?

Is it better to use a family member?

How about an American boss giving time off to travel to China to get married?

As you can tell, I'm really struggling to find a "third party" with "first hand" knowledge of my marriage. Hopefully "second hand" knowledge will suffice. Am I over-thinking this one?

And yes... I agree with Roger... when I figure this whole thing out, I'll definitely get it notarized.

Thanks

Glad to see this posted here as this whole "Evidence of Bona Fide Marital Relationship" thing has me puzzled as well... According to the USCIS, Form I-130 requires (among other things):

"Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage)"

It's fairly straightforward right up to the part where they ask for "complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage". What exactly would be considered "complete information" and how would the person acquire knowledge of my marriage other than by my telling them? And would my telling them be evidence enough?

As you can tell, I'm really struggling to find a "third party" with "first hand" knowledge of my marriage. Hopefully "second hand" knowledge will suffice. Am I over-thinking this one?

And yes... I agree with Roger... when I figure this whole thing out, I'll definitely get it notarized.

Would a video of thee wedding registration be consider evidence....

• 1 month later...

i have the same question. have any of you figured this out yet? "complete information" i love how complete THEIR information always is.

roger, you seem to be on top of the affidavit, can you explain a little more?

"I located the correct format for a legal affidavit for my state, California, and then had the two parties draft their language and enter it on the approved form. They each signed their affirmation and included all of their verifiable contact info."

my family is also in california, if you can give me more detailed information on format i'd really appreciate it.

another thing: im currently living with my wife, but we're finding it difficult to prove it because her landlord doesnt have me on the lease (our apartment is very small and we dont think they would want to add me, the foreigner, to the lease) but i do have my residence permit registered to this address and my wifes lease will match this address. is this proof enough that we live together?

Thanks

Would a video of thee wedding registration be consider evidence....

My mom and childhood friend wrote one each. I'll post it here exactly as they wrote it (minus the personal info). When the Beijing DHS officer looked at it, he said "hmm, looks good" in reference to it. My mom is a notary so she made the format. Then they had it notarized at the credit union for free.

I have no idea what this first part before the letter is but yeah. (and all the )'s are aligned but it didn't align on this message)

STATE OF HAWAI'I )

) SS.

COUNTY OF HAWII )

I, Charlotte XXX XXX, hereby affirm that I am the mother of Erika XXX XXX and that her marriage to Zhendong XX is bona fide. My husband, Dennis XXX XXX and my daughter, Sara XXX XXX and I traveled to Kyoto, Japan to witness their marriage in January 2007. I signed the Japanese marriage certificate as mother and witness. My address is XXX XXX, City, Hawai'i Zip Code. My birth date is XX XX XXXX and I was born in XXX, Hawai'i.

Charlotte XXX XXX

(notary seal)

Subscribed and sworn to before me this __ (notary fills in all blanks I am writing by hand) day of ____ 2007

Signature Line

Print Name

Notary Public, State of Hawai'i

My commission expires ________

For my friends one the lay out was the same so I'll just write what he wrote.

I, Tyler XXX XXX XXX, hereby affirm that I have known Erika XXX XXX since September 1990 and that to the best of my knowledge her marriage to Zhendong XX is bona fide. Erika's mother, Charlotte XXX, informed me of their marriage in January 2007. I traveled to Kyoto, Japan to meet them in July 2007. My address is XXXXXX. My birth date is XXXXXXX and i was born in XXX, Hawai'i.

Hope this helps a bit!

Edited by xiaofeizhu (see edit history)

this is great, thank you so much xiaofeizhu :D

My mom and childhood friend wrote one each. I'll post it here exactly as they wrote it (minus the personal info). When the Beijing DHS officer looked at it, he said "hmm, looks good" in reference to it. My mom is a notary so she made the format. Then they had it notarized at the credit union for free.

I have no idea what this first part before the letter is but yeah. (and all the )'s are aligned but it didn't align on this message)

STATE OF HAWAI'I )

) SS.

COUNTY OF HAWII )

I, Charlotte XXX XXX, hereby affirm that I am the mother of Erika XXX XXX and that her marriage to Zhendong XX is bona fide. My husband, Dennis XXX XXX and my daughter, Sara XXX XXX and I traveled to Kyoto, Japan to witness their marriage in January 2007. I signed the Japanese marriage certificate as mother and witness. My address is XXX XXX, City, Hawai'i Zip Code. My birth date is XX XX XXXX and I was born in XXX, Hawai'i.

Charlotte XXX XXX

(notary seal)

Subscribed and sworn to before me this __ (notary fills in all blanks I am writing by hand) day of ____ 2007

Signature Line

Print Name

Notary Public, State of Hawai'i

My commission expires ________

For my friends one the lay out was the same so I'll just write what he wrote.

I, Tyler XXX XXX XXX, hereby affirm that I have known Erika XXX XXX since September 1990 and that to the best of my knowledge her marriage to Zhendong XX is bona fide. Erika's mother, Charlotte XXX, informed me of their marriage in January 2007. I traveled to Kyoto, Japan to meet them in July 2007. My address is XXXXXX. My birth date is XXXXXXX and i was born in XXX, Hawai'i.

Hope this helps a bit!

i have the same question. have any of you figured this out yet? "complete information" i love how complete THEIR information always is.

roger, you seem to be on top of the affidavit, can you explain a little more?

"I located the correct format for a legal affidavit for my state, California, and then had the two parties draft their language and enter it on the approved form. They each signed their affirmation and included all of their verifiable contact info."

my family is also in california, if you can give me more detailed information on format i'd really appreciate it.

another thing: im currently living with my wife, but we're finding it difficult to prove it because her landlord doesnt have me on the lease (our apartment is very small and we dont think they would want to add me, the foreigner, to the lease) but i do have my residence permit registered to this address and my wifes lease will match this address. is this proof enough that we live together?

Sorry, I missed seeing this post yesterday.

I will look to see if I still have the California Standard Format still in my files and will paste to a PM and send to you. I downloaded it for a fee from a legal service online, it is pretty straightforward. I am told the language may vary from state to state. The California version is very specific.

Next, I didn’t read too much into the “complete” aspect of their language, other than using common sense. I had my references outline how they came about understanding the relationship I have with my wife and daughter and an outline of those circumstances, including their direct knowledge/observations.

My older brother, a prof at a local universtiy, was able to articulate on behalf of our family, his understanding of the relationship, his communication with my wife, and the support the family had on my behalf. Having his own son (my nephew) happily married to a Chinese woman for several year now, added credibility to his articulate affidavit.

Next, my close friend had also traveled to China and has met and spent a lot of time with me, my Lao Po and daughter in GZ. He was able to testify first hand, to the depth and bona fides of our marital relationship.

Again, I will try to get that CA format to you via PM later today.

0923: Found the affidavit format for Calif and sent it to you via PM just now.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)