10 year green card has arrived

How Soon Should Expiring Cards be Renewed?

Green Card holders can apply up to six months prior to the expiration date of the card (indicated on the front of the card). However, there is no need for applicants to rush to apply for a new card too far in advance since they will be issued temporary proof of their status when they apply in person for their new Green Card. INS will attach a sticker to the applicants' expiring/expired Green Card to extend the validity of the card, and return it to them to use as temporary proof of status.

Why Is It Important to Renew an Expiring/Expired Card?

Lawful permanent residents with an expiring/expired Green Card will not lose their legal status in the United States. Their lawful permanent resident status will not expire or change. However, they will need to renew their expiring Green Card in order to maintain acceptable evidence of their permanent resident status and avoid possible difficulties in obtaining employment, benefits, and re-entry into the United States after traveling abroad.

My wife received 10 year Green Card in the mail yesterday.

Just wondering is there anything more we HAVE to do with USCIS after the 10 years expires?

Ken

Congrats.

Just before expiration of the ten year green card, you should submit a I-90 to replace the card. Unless, she decides to go for citizenship in the meantime.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

My wife received 10 year Green Card in the mail yesterday.

Just wondering is there anything more we HAVE to do with USCIS after the 10 years expires?

Ken

File form I-90 to get the 10 year card renewed. OR can file N-400 and naturalize and then no longer need worry about green-cards, AR-11 and I-865 for moves.

NOTE: you can file N-400 1 year after you filed the I-751 to remove conditions, that is 33 months after getting first green-card (3 years of LPR status)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thanks for the informative replies.

I still have to apply for 10 year green cards for the children at the end of May.

Ken

Ken, it appears that the childREN arrived more than 90 days past the mother???

Will this require two (or more) petitions for your kids???

As in $545.00 times number of kids :headbang: :surprise: :rolleyes:

I paid the old $275 fee for the wife and the new $545.00 for the daughter

:harhar1: :harhar1: :roller:. I personally feel this 90 day crap and MORE fees is ridiculous.

Edited by Chinese Wife!!! (see edit history)

Thanks for the informative replies.

I still have to apply for 10 year green cards for the children at the end of May.

Ken

Ken, it appears that the childREN arrived more than 90 days past the mother???

Will this require two (or more) petitions for your kids???

As in $545.00 times number of kids :headbang: :surprise: :rolleyes:

I paid the old $275 fee for the wife and the new $545.00 for the daughter

:harhar1: :harhar1: :roller:. I personally feel this 90 day crap and MORE fees is ridiculous.

Yes, it will be an additional 1090 dollars.

Yes, it will be an additional 1090 dollars.

OUCH!!!

That's :ph34r: :lol: :lol: + :( ;) ;) for your wallet.

A few years back I was in contact with a couple at VJ that had FIVE kids FTJ- but i believe the fees were even cheaper than the old $275 fee I paid for my wife's new card.

Some of us need to offer thanks for China's one child policy perhaps. :happy2:

Edited by Chinese Wife!!! (see edit history)