visitors visa

hey everyone,thanks again for all the information you have given me,i have learned alot in my short time here.i was just wondering what are the chances of my wife getting a visitors visa,so at least we could wait out some of this process together.i read some posts about this topic but i wonder if anyone could go into a little more detail,like how do we go about applying for one.where do we apply for one and is this actually a realistic idea.i read that applying for a visitors visa wont affect my case,is this also true.anyway any light you can shed on this subject for ol' losfer would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

hey everyone,thanks again for all the information you have given me,i have learned alot in my short time here.i was just wondering what are the chances of my wife getting a visitors visa,so at least we could wait out some of this process together.i read some posts about this topic but i wonder if anyone could go into a little more detail,like how do we go about applying for one.where do we apply for one and is this actually a realistic idea.i read that applying for a visitors visa wont affect my case,is this also true.anyway any light you can shed on this subject for ol' losfer would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/how_to_apply.html

Non-Immigrant Visas

Applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa at U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

Note: If you have traveled to the U.S. in the past one year, you may be able to obtain a visa without having to appear for an interview.

<A href="http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/citicdropbox.html">Click here to learn how to apply using the Consulate's dropbox.

All first-time applicants should follow the steps below.

Step 1: Make sure you live in the Guangzhou consular district.

The Guangzhou Consulate serves Hainan, Guangxi, Guangdong, and Fujian provinces. If you do not live in one of these four provinces, you should apply for a visa at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing or at one of our other Consulates in Shenyang, Shanghai, or Chengdu.

Step 2: Pay the non-immigrant visa application fee.

Applicants must pay a non-refundable application fee at CITIC bank. After paying this fee, you will receive a receipt that must be included in the visa application and present to the consular officer at the time of the interview. Please contact CITIC bank for questions regarding the application fee amount and payment procedure. Click here to find the CITIC bank branch near you.

Effective January 1, 2008, the application fee for a U.S. nonimmigrant visa will increase from $100 to $131. Applicants who paid the prior $100 application fee before January 1 will be processed only if they are scheduled and appear for a visa interview before January 31. Applicants who paid the prior $100 application fee and appear for visa interviews after January 31, 2008 must pay the difference -- $31 -- before they can be interviewed.

Step 3: Prepare the necessary documents.

All applicants are required to present:

• A passport with at least nine months validity beyond the anticipated arrival in the United States.
  • One set of completed DS-156 forms and two completed DS-157 forms, each with recent American passport-sized photos attached. download here.
  • CITIC bank application fee receipt.

IMPORTANT: Applicants should also bring evidence of strong family, work, and financial ties to China that will convince the interviewing consular officer that you will return after a temporary stay in the United States. Such evidence could include bank books, housing/land deeds, family photos, marriage certificates, birth certificates, business cards, letters from you employer, etc. No specific documents are required. You may bring whatever you feel will convince the consular officer that you will return to China.

Additional papers to bring:

• Business (B1) applicants should bring a detailed invitation letter from the inviting U.S. organization and relevant business documents such as faxes, bills of landing, contracts, catalogs, purchase agreements, etc. that can demonstrate a bona fide business purpose for traveling to the United States.
  • Tourists (B2) applicants should provide evidence of their ability to financially support themselves during their stay (or of the inviter's ability to support the applicant). If visiting relatives, bring proof of the relationship.
  • Student (F1) applicants must bring a completed I-20, a recent school transcript, diplomas, GRE/TOEFL scores, and evidence of ability to pay tuition and expenses during the first school year in the United States. Please make sure that the school in the U.S. has input the names in SEVIS.
  • Exchange (J1) applicants must bring a completed DS-2019 form, evidence of financial support, and proof of current employment and scholarship. Please make sure that the school in the U.S. has input the names in SEVIS.
  • Transit travelers (C1) applicants must provide evidence of their intention to travel onward to a third country.
  • Temporary Workers (H1) applicants must bring the I-797 notification of approved petition. In addition, H applicants should bring evidence of their job qualifications and a photocopy of the original I-129 petition filed by the prospective American employer.
  • Inter-company Transfers (L1 and L2), please click here for more information.
  • Derivative status (F2, J2, and H4) applicants must bring evidence of their relationship to the principal alien, proof of the principal alien's legal status in the U.S. (a copy of the I-20, DS-2019, or 1-797 plus a photocopy of his/her visa), and evidence of financial support while in the United States. F2 and J2 applicants need to be sure that the school in U.S. has entered their information into SEVIS.

Step 4: Call the Visa Information Call Center at 4008-872-333(For caller in Mainland China) or86-21-3881-4611 (For caller outside Mainland China)* to make an appointment for an interview.

* The Department of State wishes to advise callers that the charges for international calls are solely the responsibility of the caller. Currently, callers are experiencing significant wait times before reaching a live operator.

Applicants who have been previously denied a visa should make this clear to the appointment operator. Failure to disclose a past refusal can harm your chances of receiving a visa.

Requests to expedite visa appointments can be made by directly faxing the U.S. Consulate Guangzhou Non-Immigrant Visa Section (86-20-3884-4424). Requests are generally only approved for humanitarian reasons or for urgent medical situations.

Step 5: The Interview

At the Consulate you will have an opportunity to explain your reasons for going to the United States and present supporting documents. It is important that you respond truthfully to the consular officer's questions. Applicants frequently harm their chances of receiving a visa by making false statements about their income, employment, or family status, whereas a truthful answer would not harm their case. Applicants should not present falsified documents such as fake invitation letters, company licenses, or ID cards. Making false statements or presenting fake documents to a consular officer is a serious offense and could result in becoming permanently ineligible to travel to the United States.

For more information about the interview process and U.S. immigration laws, please read our frequently asked questions.

Edited by MikeandRong (see edit history)

In a word, "NO"

By saying "NO" do you mean that it will not or should not effect the visa application?

Let me clarify this a little further: NO !!! :blink:

Not possible.

Before or after filing the application, if she is currently in the PRC.

Even with the proof of 'strong ties' to China, a travel visa is rarely approved, prior to filing the I-129F or I-130; and never approved, after they are filed.

If it were possible, guess where Lao Po would be right now !! :blink:

In a word, "NO"

By saying "NO" do you mean that it will not or should not effect the visa application?

Let me clarify this a little further: NO !!! :blink:

Not possible.

Even with the proof of 'strong ties' to China, a travel visa is rarely approved, prior to filing the I-129F or I-130; and never approved, after they are filed.

If it were possible, guess where Lao Po would be right now !! :(

Thanks Roger, this clears it up for the new member of CFL that asked this question. :blink:

And I hear you on where most of our SO's would be while waiting for the approval.

Even though this has been said before, I can add my NO NO NO to the dialogue here. My Fei tried 3 times in the past 13 months to get a B1 visa, including after we filed the K1. During her last interview in Shanghai ( 12-10-07), she was told that she was being denied the K1 because she "eventually intended" to immigrate. At this interview the VO became confused and had to get a consult from another VO before giving us the 3rd denial. This was because Fei brought my pre-paid airline tickets to Hong Kong and hotel confirmation for Hong King for my visit in Feb 08. This proved that both of us were planning on being in HK to vacation in February 08, after her hoped for visit to spend the x-mas/ny holidays together. Her having this proof was not acceptable because her "eventual intent" to come here to live. The consulate in Shanghai is just nuts IMHO to think that either of us would even think about her staying here in the US illegally. That idea is no where in our heads.

In a word, "NO"

Let me clarify this a little further: NO !!! :rolleyes:

Not possible.

If it were possible, guess where Lao Po would be right now !! :unsure:

Thanks Roger, this clears it up for the new member of CFL that asked this question. <_<

And I hear you on where most of our SO's would be while waiting for the approval.

Even though this has been said before, I can add my NO NO NO to the dialogue here. My Fei tried 3 times in the past 13 months to get a B1 visa, including after we filed the K1. During her last interview in Shanghai ( 12-10-07), she was told that she was being denied the K1 because she "eventually intended" to immigrate. At this interview the VO became confused and had to get a consult from another VO before giving us the 3rd denial. This was because Fei brought my pre-paid airline tickets to Hong Kong and hotel confirmation for Hong King for my visit in Feb 08. This proved that both of us were planning on being in HK to vacation in February 08, after her hoped for visit to spend the x-mas/ny holidays together. Her having this proof was not acceptable because her "eventual intent" to come here to live. The consulate in Shanghai is just nuts IMHO to think that either of us would even think about her staying here in the US illegally. That idea is no where in our heads.

In a word, "NO"

Let me clarify this a little further: NO !!! :)

Not possible.

If it were possible, guess where Lao Po would be right now !! :ph34r:

Thanks Roger, this clears it up for the new member of CFL that asked this question. :D

This may be true (is true), but many would think of doing this. This is the reason they will not approve.

As far as I know, if you have an immigrant visa pending, you are not allowed to file a non-immigrant visa. This was explained to me early on in the visa process.

However, a suggestion was brought to us, which may or may not be useful. If you want to visit your wife, have her apply for a tourist visa in Candada. My wife and I discussed this possibility, because I am maybe 5 hours by car from the Canadian border. That way seemed like a good option, because my family (we could all drive to Canada and then would have an opportunity to meet her and such). I understand that it was somewhat easy(ier) to get a Canadian tourist visa.

Due to other constraints we didn't do this, but if you are really missing your Lao Po, this can be an option.

The government is perfectly justified for denying B1's.

Before we knew anything about K1's and other visas, the B1 is exactly the first visa we researched. And to be honest, we considered getting it with the possible intention of marrying while she was here and then taking our chance on AOS. I actually researched that subject.

However, once we learned about the K1, we knew a B1 was wrong and risky, and so we went with the K1. Most B1's are denied are for that exact reason: the majority of folks who want a B1 for a wife, gf, fiancee, intend to get married once she is here.

And realistically, myself included, well-intending folks who say they would never ever do that, actually will do just that. They are not going to have her come on a B1, fall deeply in love with each other, and then decide "Instead of beginning our lives with each other right here and now in the USA, why dont we just spend a lot of extra money to send you back to China, and we can do all this government paperwork for a K1, and you can go do medical exams, get police reports, and I can do all these forms and pay all these fees, and we can make copies and keep records of everything we say and do, and then one day we'll spend more time and money to fly you to Guangzhou to possibly be turned down for a visa, and on top of all that, we can be apart from each other for 9 months to a year.

How do you like that idea honey?."

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

What if applying for mother in laws visa in Chendu, we have some B there that mom has been with twice , denied, as she never reads all the paperwork spoke with the guy in charge, am not listing his name, nice guy only to find out visa should have never been refused, calling him again in the A.M. or they will see me March 3 to get the visa. Does anyone know the hotline to the American Visa hour gripe line or should In hyoldn this stupid ----- hostage at her desk till she gives mom her visa as I will have 2 weeks? :angry: :angry: :angry:

While some might think that the Canandian tourist visa is easier to obtain, that was not true for my Fei. I live only 3 hours drive from Canada, and we had a vacation planned in Niagira Falls/Toronto in summer 06. The tourist visa to Canada was denied for the same reasons...without an interview. My Fei was believed to possess immigrant intent. Neither the US gov't or the canadian gov't believed she would return to china following a visit to either place.

Also, the KI is not a visa to immigrate to the US. The K1 is a non-immigrant visa.

While some might also think its tempting to not return to china once a B1 visa is granted, that is the last thing either of us considered. To be here illegally, unable to work, with no gov't issued ID, no drivers license, no ss#...that would be another kind of prison sentence that neither of us would want. We both perceieve this as irresponsible, immature, desperate and frankly against the law. I have too much at stake (career/businesses/family) to ever put any of that at risk. Unfortunately, no amount of documentation can convince the US gov't VO's of this fact.

The government is perfectly justified for denying B1's.

Before we knew anything about K1's and other visas, the B1 is exactly the first visa we researched. And to be honest, we considered getting it with the possible intention of marrying while she was here and then taking our chance on AOS. I actually researched that subject.

However, once we learned about the K1, we knew a B1 was wrong and risky, and so we went with the K1. Most B1's are denied are for that exact reason: the majority of folks who want a B1 for a wife, gf, fiancee, intend to get married once she is here.

And realistically, myself included, well-intending folks who say they would never ever do that, actually will do just that. They are not going to have her come on a B1, fall deeply in love with each other, and then decide "Instead of beginning our lives with each other right here and now in the USA, why dont we just spend a lot of extra money to send you back to China, and we can do all this government paperwork for a K1, and you can go do medical exams, get police reports, and I can do all these forms and pay all these fees, and we can make copies and keep records of everything we say and do, and then one day we'll spend more time and money to fly you to Guangzhou to possibly be turned down for a visa, and on top of all that, we can be apart from each other for 9 months to a year.

How do you like that idea honey?."

Also, the KI is not a visa to immigrate to the US. The K1 is a non-immigrant visa.

The K-1 visa is non-immigrant only in the processing performed prior to issuance. Once in the US, it is expected that the visa holder will marry the petitioner and apply to adjust status (get a green card).

By applying for a K-1 visa, she is indicating her intent to enter the US, marry her petitioner, and apply for a green card (lawful permanent residence).

But I suppose there is nothing wrong with coming to the US, marrying the petitioner, and leaving before the 90-day expiration of the visa, and remaining a non-immigrant.

While some might think that the Canandian tourist visa is easier to obtain, that was not true for my Fei. I live only 3 hours drive from Canada, and we had a vacation planned in Niagira Falls/Toronto in summer 06. The tourist visa to Canada was denied for the same reasons...without an interview. My Fei was believed to possess immigrant intent. Neither the US gov't or the canadian gov't believed she would return to china following a visit to either place.

Yes, you are correct in this regard.

I have recently accomplished a lot of research on this issue, for a friend of mine, who has a boat in far N/W Washington state. He wished to bring his Chinese friend into Canada and do a couple of weeks of boating in B.C. waters, and then she would return to China, and do it again in a couple of months.

The list of strong ties to China, which she must supply is huge.

Moreover, there is the issue of an 'invitation' from a resident of Canada, including the background info for that resident, etc.

When the US tightened up the process, Canada followed fairly close, in concert with the US. The Canadians have most of the same concerns the American immigration officials have.

Let me clarify this a little further: NO !!! :D

Not possible.

In a word, "NO"

Hi Losfer1,

Yes it is possible to get a Tourist Visa, contrary to what others has mentioned here.

My SO from China applied and was granted a 1 year unlimited entry visa to the US. She did all the leg work herself, and it seemed like a straight forward process. She downloaded the forms, completed them, got a few documents together and then made the appointment. The VO asked a few questions such how we met (online) why she wanted a visa ( to visit BF & my family ) and it was over and a visa was granted. I was surprised, based upon what I read here over the years.

She has been here and plans on returning. I can tell you that it adds a whole new perspective on a relationship that enhances it greatly. My family knows her personally and they have an established a relationship with her, she has experienced my life and she had the opportunity to confirm for herself my world and personal character.

Most important for us in her getting a Visa, it strengthens our relationship, because we both know she does not need me to get to the USA, because she can come here anytime she wants.

Note: I have used an alias here because I (and she) wish to keep personal information about us private, I hope you can understand. But I wanted to give you and anyone else a little hope that it is possible sometimes to get a visitor visa for your SO.

Best Wishes to you,