Investing in China

If you had invested $1000 in each of the Mathews China Fund, the Fidelity China Fund, Kerry Properties Hong Kong (0683.HK), and the RMB (with 3.06% interest) on Dec. 29, 2005, this chart shows what each would be worth today.

http://i10.tinypic.com/8fy431w.jpg

Guest Mike and Lily

I had an Chinese ETF with the symbol FXI for over a year. Sadly, I sold it at 115. It's currently at 170 after going as high as 210. IMO, the Chinese market is at greater risk now due to the rapidly declining dollar. I would stay away.

If memory serves... :blink: Randy has done this before and forgot again to factor in the change in the $/RMB exchange rate... :P

They say it's the first thing to go, Roger (the money, that is), but I used the same spreadsheet I used last year. It starts with daily quotes from oanda.com, and then you had me add in the 3.06% return you say you can get on your RMB savings account.

If memory serves... :blink: Randy has done this before and forgot again to factor in the change in the $/RMB exchange rate... :P

They say it's the first thing to go, Roger (the money, that is), but I used the same spreadsheet I used last year. It starts with daily quotes from oanda.com, and then you had me add in the 3.06% return you say you can get on your RMB savings account.

Ah were up to 4.11% for a one year note...

I'll give you whatever return you want - just let me know

http://i1.tinypic.com/72rq5gn.jpg

By the way, your 1000 RMB on Dec 29, 2005 is worth 1206.81 RMB on Jan 4, 2008 - more than a 20% return over 2 years.

and Mike - the return on FXI is pretty much the same as MCHFX over the same period.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I'll give you whatever return you want - just let me know

http://i1.tinypic.com/72rq5gn.jpg

By the way, your 1000 RMB on Dec 29, 2005 is worth 1206.81 RMB on Jan 4, 2008 - more than a 20% return over 2 years.

and Mike - the return on FXI is pretty much the same as MCHFX over the same period.

20 % over two years sounds good... :( And as for "I'll give you whatever return you want..." Where do I send my money??? :(

My wife told me last night the pork in Nanning has hit 35 rmb per kilo. That's $2.21 per pound, and we aren't talking Smithfield Hams. She is VERY unhappy. This, combined with the "crash" in R.E. noted by Roger in another thread, is not good news.

Brace yourself. I'm no investing guru, but I would go liquid NOW. That fast a rise can mean only one thing... and it isn't good unless you are shorting the market.

Best Regards

My wife told me last night the pork in Nanning has hit 35 rmb per kilo. That's $2.21 per pound, and we aren't talking Smithfield Hams. She is VERY unhappy. This, combined with the "crash" in R.E. noted by Roger in another thread, is not good news.

Brace yourself. I'm no investing guru, but I would go liquid NOW. That fast a rise can mean only one thing... and it isn't good unless you are shorting the market.

Best Regards

Yeah I agree Mike...The odds of a real "bath" coming are getting higher every day...Will it be a REcession or a DEpression??? :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

Okay Randy I took your advice and invested a "chunk o' change" in the Matthews China Fund. I 'splained to laopo that you were standing behind any losses incurred by members who did this and she's satisfied... :lol: So I'll let you know how it goes... :roller:

Now that they've had this sudden extra infusion of capital, it should be no problem!

I'll update my charts to include the recent plunge!

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Okay Randy I took your advice and invested a "chunk o' change" in the Matthews China Fund. I 'splained to laopo that you were standing behind any losses incurred by members who did this and she's satisfied... :P So I'll let you know how it goes... :D

Now that they've had this sudden extra infusion of capital, it should be no problem!

I'll update my charts to include the recent plunge!

RECENT PLUNGE... ;) Now you tell me it can go down... :)