Smiling Faces...

One from a nobel prize author:

Pearl Buck, who was raised in china during that same decade said: ¡°Nothing and no one can destroy the Chinese people. They are relentless survivors. They are the oldest civilized people on earth. Their civilization passes through phases but its basic characteristics remain the same. They yield, they bend to the wind, but they never break¡±.

David I find that I am learning this more and more. My wife is a good example of this. Their resilience is second to none!!

Although I don't disagree with Pearl, as I am surrounded by Chinese and see it first hand, I believe ALL humans have a natural fight for survival. And, I do not believe westerners are any less flexible and unbreakable. We just may not have suffered the many and recent hardships as Chinese to prove it. Our forefathers and early pioneers scratched out a living from nothing and most of us are inheritors of that spirit. :)

I don't agree that Americans of today are as tough or resourceful as our forefathers. The good life for most in America has come to them with little struggle on their part. They feel that it's their birthright. I think that a 1930s type depression in our nation today would turn into a very ugly scene rpaidly... :o

I would agree with this..

The point of my quotes was a kind of compare and contrast (just as roger's drawings were)... my first quote, although from a famous philosopher, he was but an outsider to the chinese, looking in... and he notes what is not uncommon at all; Pearl was raised in China and lived among them and had a bond to the people... her descriptions are much deeper and philosophical...

The original post by Xu Xing is really interesting and insightful. I first saw it on a web site run by UC Berkeley journalism students (I work at UC Berkeley) that often has very interesting posts on a wide variety of subjects of interest to those of us who have an interest in China, it's people and culture (which I'm sure includes every member of CFL). In case this site isn't widely known I thought I would give it's url for those who might want to explore it. It's called Culture: China Digital Times and can be found at the following url;

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/culture/

I check it almost daily and rarely leave without having read something of interest from a wide variety of people on diverse subjects. Hope others might enjoy checking it out. Happy New Year! :ph34r:

The original post by Xu Xing is really interesting and insightful. I first saw it on a web site run by UC Berkeley journalism students (I work at UC Berkeley) that often has very interesting posts on a wide variety of subjects of interest to those of us who have an interest in China, it's people and culture (which I'm sure includes every member of CFL). In case this site isn't widely known I thought I would give it's url for those who might want to explore it. It's called Culture: China Digital Times and can be found at the following url;

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/culture/

I check it almost daily and rarely leave without having read something of interest from a wide variety of people on diverse subjects. Hope others might enjoy checking it out. Happy New Year! :ph34r:

The best place around for getting the lowdown on China... :) I also read it every day... :D

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/