• AT&T Cingular
    • Spint / Embarq
    • Nextel
    • T-Mobile
    • Metro PCS
    • Altel
    • Cricket
    • other

from my findings the only way a verizon or sprint cellphone will work in China is if the phone is a hybrid gsm/cdma. being that sprint and verizon run on cdma only available in the US.

t-mobile and at&t run gsm.

i plan on bringing my wifes at&t phone and switching sim cards after i unlock it.

My phone is a Samsung Ace (on Sprint network), when I arrive in Beijing I can switch to GSM mode and that's it. I believe the calls are about $2.29 per minute, but my employer provides the phone so I just keep the calls to a minimum.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....it has a dictionary in it that translates just about any english word you can think of to the chinese script....and if you put it in full chinese language mode, it will also translate the same english words to the chinese pin yin

i did hear about the cool dictionaries.

which phone was it exactly?

we have two phone models...the Nokia 5200 and also the Nokia 5300....and the clarity is outstanding

I unlocked an iPhone... used it on T-mobile in US; went to china, used a SIM card from china in it.. worked fine.

As far as I am concerned, there is only one drawback for an iPhone (and it's not price; if your worried about price, just buy something else)... the battery is practically non-replaceable, soldered internally and the case is very difficult to take apart anyways... but I've taken apart an iPhone to get to the battery.

if your thinking of playing around with an iPhone... you can PM me.

Recently changed my carrier to Voitel (Exit Mobile) They use Verizon network, rates are similar, and I get commissions from the service.

Hello David, do you get all the internet features when you use the iphone with T-mobile? Mike & Yizhen

Also to follow up on that - I have heard (not sure if it's true) that you can use the I Phone without the $35 a month data plan if you use it at home (assuming you have a wireless modem), at work (assuming your work has a wireless computer network) or at certain restaurants (Starbucks, McDonalds) and other places that have wireless networks.

But just not at the 3 g speeds. The 3 g I'm told is faster for downloading data (which I won't do a lot of) but also really eats into the battery charge life. I would like to buy an I phone, use it on T Mobile and try to get internet access at places with wireless internet and skip the data contract. Will that work? Can I get decent long distance rates to China either through T Mobile or by using some calling card?

Also in China does the I phones internet features and GPS work? I understand I might have to find a McDonalds to use it but it would be handy. I await the answer from the experts here. :ph34r:

[bTW - great thread - kudos to Original Poster!]

Hello David, do you get all the internet features when you use the iphone with T-mobile? Mike & Yizhen

Also to follow up on that - I have heard (not sure if it's true) that you can use the I Phone without the $35 a month data plan if you use it at home (assuming you have a wireless modem), at work (assuming your work has a wireless computer network) or at certain restaurants (Starbucks, McDonalds) and other places that have wireless networks.

But just not at the 3 g speeds. The 3 g I'm told is faster for downloading data (which I won't do a lot of) but also really eats into the battery charge life. I would like to buy an I phone, use it on T Mobile and try to get internet access at places with wireless internet and skip the data contract. Will that work? Can I get decent long distance rates to China either through T Mobile or by using some calling card?

Also in China does the I phones internet features and GPS work? I understand I might have to find a McDonalds to use it but it would be handy. I await the answer from the experts here. :lol:

There are two features which don't work in unlocked iPhones (really only one, but I'll explain):

1. Voice Dialing. Exclusive to AT&T users.

2. Firmware 1.1 and prior issues... but seeing how one can setup at 2.2.1, it's not an issue.

One can use the built in WIFI just like it's a computer... No data plan needed.

3G supposely is faster, but the 3G is getting alot of complaints on it's battery; and not just concerning 3G; it seems to simply hold the power less, and recharging more. Since Apple made the battery a soldier connection, a user cannot just change it out. There were lawsuits about it but not sure it went anywhere. The 3G has the GPS but I've heard the google maps is better... I recommend staying away from 3G.

Unlocking the iPhone has never been easier. In the beginning, it was very technically difficult and easy to mess up the phone. Now it is quite easy, if you can find the correct instructions... which are not surprisingly not easy to find. So you can unlock the phone and having it working on T-Mobile (or any sim accepting phone, including in china) and connect to WIFI without data plans...

Plans for calls and texting have to be referred to your provider. But a calling card will be the best route for the phone. Texting is about .40 a message.

I assume all features work in china as here. I do not have a 3G to be able to directly comment on experience. I have read that the GPS works in other countries (I'll admit, I've only read about it in other western countries); but one snag; apparently, if your unlock firmware is 2.1 or higher, many report the GPS as not working.

As with most issues concerning unlocked and jailbroken iPhones, there are dozens of groups attempting to overcome any problem encountered and often these phones can do more than regular iPhones. Example: Hackers had developed apps to record video and send pictures through texting before the regular iPhone could...

Also in China does the I phones internet features and GPS work? I understand I might have to find a McDonalds to use it but it would be handy. I await the answer from the experts here. :lol:

There are two features which don't work in unlocked iPhones (really only one, but I'll explain):

1. Voice Dialing. Exclusive to AT&T users.

2. Firmware 1.1 and prior issues... but seeing how one can setup at 2.2.1, it's not an issue.

One can use the built in WIFI just like it's a computer... No data plan needed.

3G supposely is faster, but the 3G is getting alot of complaints on it's battery; and not just concerning 3G; it seems to simply hold the power less, and recharging more. Since Apple made the battery a soldier connection, a user cannot just change it out. There were lawsuits about it but not sure it went anywhere. The 3G has the GPS but I've heard the google maps is better... I recommend staying away from 3G.

Unlocking the iPhone has never been easier. In the beginning, it was very technically difficult and easy to mess up the phone. Now it is quite easy, if you can find the correct instructions... which are not surprisingly not easy to find. So you can unlock the phone and having it working on T-Mobile (or any sim accepting phone, including in china) and connect to WIFI without data plans...

Plans for calls and texting have to be referred to your provider. But a calling card will be the best route for the phone. Texting is about .40 a message.

I assume all features work in china as here. I do not have a 3G to be able to directly comment on experience. I have read that the GPS works in other countries (I'll admit, I've only read about it in other western countries); but one snag; apparently, if your unlock firmware is 2.1 or higher, many report the GPS as not working.

As with most issues concerning unlocked and jailbroken iPhones, there are dozens of groups attempting to overcome any problem encountered and often these phones can do more than regular iPhones. Example: Hackers had developed apps to record video and send pictures through texting before the regular iPhone could...

I have recently purchased an iphone and would love to unlock it, could i impose you to pass on the instructions on how to do so?

thanks much!

I have recently purchased an iphone and would love to unlock it, could i impose you to pass on the instructions on how to do so?

I'll PM you... it will depend on if it's 2G or 3G.

And i have to put together the correct instructions; I've not found anyone to do it fully correct as everyone leaves off one step which they assume people know; and it's not well known...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)