for anybody familiar with Guangzhou

As this is Lao Po’s home, I have spent a lot of time in Guangzhou and its suburban Districts of Panyu and Huadu. I really am comfortable in this large city.

One thing to remember, is that “Western” food and “American” food are not necessarily the same. Some restaurants and markets advertise this, but many times it is more of a Euro version, than that of what we are accustomed to in the USA.

I have learned from experience to bring my survival bag with me on each visit.

Some of these items I have stockpiled at my wife’s home, for use on subsequent visits.

Morton’s salt and genuine black pepper. You would be surprised at how many restaurants do not have salt and real black pepper at the tables, and the hunt is on to come up with some.

C&H pure cane sugar. I always bring a small box of the little envelopes similar to what is found at restaurants in the US.

Ketchup !! Yes, real Heinz Ketchup, the US variety. Again, many restaurants either do not have it; or they dole it out in small amounts if they do; and it is their local Chinese recipe of Del Monte, which is not as robust as the US version.

Best Foods Mayo !! Another item which is difficult to find at many restaurants in the PRC/GZ.

I bring a fresh squeeze bottle on each trip.

Bulls Eye or K.C Masterpiece, BBQ sauce. Another item that I must have while in China.

Coffee !! I bring two pounds of my favorite brand of ground coffee and I already have my Mr. Coffee machine, with filters, stashed at her home.

The UBC chain of restaurants has a pretty good beef steak, from the US and/or AU.

There is also a similar restaurant in Huadu, called Mai San, which specializes in US beef and the pricing is great. I eat a good sized USDA Rib Eye with French fries and soup/salad for about 68 RMB.

Genuine burgers are hard to find. The texture of the ground beef is not the same. So I stick to McD’s when I get the burger urge. As most of you know, a Big Mac is a lot cheaper in the PRC than here at home.

The larger hotel restaurants, such as the Marriott China Hotel, and the new Westin, have some good choices of Western/American style cooking. BTW, the Marriott (2nd floor restaurant) has the only 'genuine' US style donuts, to be found in GZ !!! While I may not be 'trained in science and statistics;' I am however, an expert at finding a good donut !!! <_< :roller: (inside joke...only a few will get)

Two hotels close to Lao Po’s home, serve genuine American style breakfasts. Eggs cooked to order, potatoes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, toast, and OJ. Each of them has always had maple syrup.

Fortunately, I am really into the taste of Cantonese cooking and there are a jillion restaurants to chose from in GZ. Most of the multiple Chinese Schools of cooking…..Cantonese, Hunan, Sichuan, etc, are represented within this metropolis.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are talking about GZ, then that means Cantonese.

Very picky about food.

You may try to meet them half way by learning to cook things

like sheep's stomache, duck's tonge and the famous chicken's feet.

When it comes to western food; my wife will only trust her cousin.

stomach, tongue, feet, ummm...

<_<

I'm a transplanted texan, I think I'll try meeting them halfway by going in the southerly direction.. on my next trip, I'm planning on taking the makings of some good tamales, enchiladas, refried beans, and salsa.. or maybe chicken-fried steak, biscuits, gravy, and fried potatoes

As this is Lao Po¡¯s home, I have spent a lot of time in Guangzhou and its suburban Districts of Panyu and Huadu. I really am comfortable in this large city.

One thing to remember, is that ¡°Western¡± food and ¡°American¡± food are not necessarily the same. Some restaurants and markets advertise this, but many times it is more of a Euro version, than that of what we are accustomed to in the USA.

I have learned from experience to bring my survival bag with me on each visit.

Some of these items I have stockpiled at my wife¡¯s home, for use on subsequent visits.

Morton¡¯s salt and genuine black pepper. You would be surprised at how many restaurants do not have salt and real black pepper at the tables, and the hunt is on to come up with some.

C&H pure cane sugar. I always bring a small box of the little envelopes similar to what is found at restaurants in the US.

Ketchup !! Yes, real Heinz Ketchup, the US variety. Again, many restaurants either do not have it; or they dole it out in small amounts if they do; and it is their local Chinese recipe of Del Monte, which is not as robust as the US version.

Best Foods Mayo !! Another item which is difficult to find at many restaurants in the PRC/GZ.

I bring a fresh squeeze bottle on each trip.

Bulls Eye or K.C Masterpiece, BBQ sauce. Another item that I must have while in China.

Coffee !! I bring two pounds of my favorite brand of ground coffee and I already have my Mr. Coffee machine, with filters, stashed at her home.

The UBC chain of restaurants has a pretty good beef steak, from the US and/or AU.

There is also a similar restaurant in Huadu, called Mai San, which specializes in US beef and the pricing is great. I eat a good sized USDA Rib Eye with French fries and soup/salad for about 68 RMB.

Genuine burgers are hard to find. The texture of the ground beef is not the same. So I stick to McD¡¯s when I get the burger urge. As most of you know, a Big Mac is a lot cheaper in the PRC than here at home.

The larger hotel restaurants, such as the Marriott China Hotel, and the new Westin, have some good choices of Western/American style cooking. BTW, the Marriott (2nd floor restaurant) has the only 'genuine' US style donuts, to be found in GZ !!! While I may not be 'trained in science and statistics;' I am however, an expert at finding a good donut !!! :ph34r: :lol: (inside joke...only a few will get)

Two hotels close to Lao Po¡¯s home, serve genuine American style breakfasts. Eggs cooked to order, potatoes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, toast, and OJ. Each of them has always had maple syrup.

Fortunately, I am really into the taste of Cantonese cooking and there are a jillion restaurants to chose from in GZ. Most of the multiple Chinese Schools of cooking¡­..Cantonese, Hunan, Sichuan, etc, are represented within this metropolis.

oh yes, this is what I'm talking about - some great tips here, thanks Roger ! :)

the survival kit approach is what I decided on too - on my 1st trip, I was there for 3 weeks so the suitcases were maxed out, but the next trip in february will only be for about a week, so a big part of my luggage space will be reserved for spices, more coffee, yellow and brown mustard, chili makings, etc

all together now, in our best homer simpson voices - mmmmmm donuts

My Lao Po and daughter have been in US for one month now. They have said many times that american food is very good. I think very few people in China have every had real home cooked US food in China. Most people in china think US food is Hamburger, fried chicken and pizza.

I did not try to cook food in Lao Po kitchen, but now that they are in US I do cook a few times a week.

This week I gave them sprial ham, sweet potatoes, sausage gravy and biscuit; eggs, bacon and toast; Chili and rice. So many comon foods they have never had, but seem to really like.

My Lao Po and daughter have been in US for one month now. They have said many times that american food is very good. I think very few people in China have every had real home cooked US food in China. Most people in china think US food is Hamburger, fried chicken and pizza.

I did not try to cook food in Lao Po kitchen, but now that they are in US I do cook a few times a week.

This week I gave them sprial ham, sweet potatoes, sausage gravy and biscuit; eggs, bacon and toast; Chili and rice. So many comon foods they have never had, but seem to really like.

excuse me while I make a note to drop in at your house at dinner time

While in China we often ate out with my wife's family at local Chinese places. When it was my wife and I we tried several American eateries like KFC, McD, and Pizza Hut. She really liked Pizza Hut, thankfully as I like to eat there often...perhaps too often. But she loved the salad bar. She would "fill" her 'one-trip' salad bowl to over-flowing. When we were in Hong Kong last week we even got to eat at Outback. This is one of my favorite places for their Prim Rib. The menu was in English and Chinese and even so my wife was unfamiliar with their descriptions. I suggested the Crab, but she was not sure she would like it. But when the Alaskin King Crab arrived, her eyes lit up. She especially liked the 'free' warm bread. She made me order one to go..with her left over crab.

small place but room for one or two more at dinner.

small place but room for one or two more at dinner.

Sichuan food also done with a Yunnan twist.

Guest knloregon

Since GZ (Canton) is one of the top 10 (at least) food cities in the world, hard to understand why you might want to make meatloaf...

White Swan has a breakfast buffet that is very international, and for the last 6 or 8 years, if you walk due north two blocks there is a small market that caters to Westen tastes---Frenches mustard for instance...

As Carl says, Carrifore---and also Walmart in GZ----say what you will about Sam Wall, but all over China Walmart was one of the first, and in most markets probably THE first to introduce American foods to China...

Jim is right about greens even now I think---many farms in China have switched to modern sanitary practices for the raising of fresh vegies---but the supply line is undependable, and the really bad experiences I have heard about are from those who have eaten a nice crisp green salad at Western 4 star hotels...

And why? Steam gai-lan for a few minutes, (and many other Chinese greens)---it still comes out crisp, and poses no problems...

Since GZ (Canton) is one of the top 10 (at least) food cities in the world, hard to understand why you might want to make meatloaf...

White Swan has a breakfast buffet that is very international, and for the last 6 or 8 years, if you walk due north two blocks there is a small market that caters to Westen tastes---Frenches mustard for instance...

As Carl says, Carrifore---and also Walmart in GZ----say what you will about Sam Wall, but all over China Walmart was one of the first, and in most markets probably THE first to introduce American foods to China...

Jim is right about greens even now I think---many farms in China have switched to modern sanitary practices for the raising of fresh vegies---but the supply line is undependable, and the really bad experiences I have heard about are from those who have eaten a nice crisp green salad at Western 4 star hotels...

And why? Steam gai-lan for a few minutes, (and many other Chinese greens)---it still comes out crisp, and poses no problems...

Cooking every day American food in china is very hard, proper materials, the hardware many issues. In US same issues for cooking Chinese items; we have different hardware and unless you live in a big Asian area hard to find the correct ingredients. At Ranch 99 in the LA area we can find most items from her local area in Yunan and Sichuan. She had repeatly said that Ranch 99 is better than Sichuan for finding local Yunnan food items. (Many souther Yunnan items are like Thai items) It takes time, but we have found many of the items she needs. My stove does not provide her the instant heat, but we get by.

My biggest fear of going to China on that first trip was, what the hell is a picky junk food junkie like me gonna eat? So, on the plane I quashed that fear and told myself, "if'n I see them stick it in their mouth, chew it up, and swallow it, then I WILL too". And I DID. AND, I loved everything....hated to have to go back to crap food by the end of the 3 weeks of eating real food.

I never asked the lil' rabbit about American food, but once, on our way into a mall, I pointed to the, American style, ever present Micky-Dee's by the entrance...oh my Gawd, I thought the lil' rabbit was gonna PUKE right there on the sidewalk, she gave me a nasty look and said, "WHY you eata no gooda fooda, child likea no gooda fooda, I NO EATA!!!!"

Now, my biggest fear, if the GUZ prison warden ever removes the handcuffs and shackles off the lil' rabbit, is what the hell is she gonna eat once she gets here in America, land of the BIG BUTT!!!!

It's crazy, and we often laugh about this....Since she was a lil' girl she's had this dream of seeing America: I no longer care very much about America and often tell her that I would gladly trade passports with her, and I'd be happy to let her go to America while I live in China and await her return....Gawd, I could only hope she doesn't grow and American BUTT while she's in America :angry: IIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!

Fairdinkum, I am.

tsap seui

Yes, Pittsburg is only a couple of hours away, and my research has found that they have "The strip" which sells Asian food. I will go to extreme limits to protect the lil' rabbit from THE AMERICAN BUTT....snow, sleet, rain, hail, KFC, Mickey Dee's, and Pizza Hutt, be damned...I will always provide rabbit food...er ...ah... REAL food for the lil' rabbit's lil' butt.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
My biggest fear of going to China on that first trip was, what the hell is a picky junk food junkie like me gonna eat? So, on the plane I quashed that fear and told myself, "if'n I see them stick it in their mouth, chew it up, and swallow it, then I WILL too". And I DID. AND, I loved everything....hated to have to go back to crap food by the end of the 3 weeks of eating real food.

I never asked the lil' rabbit about American food, but once, on our way into a mall, I pointed to the, American style, ever present Micky-Dee's by the entrance...oh my Gawd, I thought the lil' rabbit was gonna PUKE right there on the sidewalk, she gave me a nasty look and said, "WHY you eata no gooda fooda, child likea no gooda fooda, I NO EATA!!!!"

Now, my biggest fear, if the GUZ prison warden ever removes the handcuffs and shackles off the lil' rabbit, is what the hell is she gonna eat once she gets here in America, land of the BIG BUTT!!!!

It's crazy, and we often laugh about this....Since she was a lil' girl she's had this dream of seeing America: I no longer care very much about America and often tell her that I would gladly trade passports with her, and I'd be happy to let her go to America while I live in China and await her return....Gawd, I could only hope she doesn't grow and American BUTT while she's in America :unsure: IIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!

Fairdinkum, I am.

tsap seui

Yes, Pittsburg is only a couple of hours away, and my research has found that they have "The strip" which sells Asian food. I will go to extreme limits to protect the lil' rabbit from THE AMERICAN BUTT....snow, sleet, rain, hail, KFC, Mickey Dee's, and Pizza Hutt, be damned...I will always provide rabbit food...er ...ah... REAL food for the lil' rabbit's lil' butt.

So far just over a month, but we cook most of our own food. Sort of fun things to do together every night. I still have to explain a few things. Some of the tools i have in my kitchen they question what it does?

• 4 weeks later...

I lived in Shanghai for a year and found an easy way to locate "American" cooking items such as baking powder & soda, yeast, turkeys, our style of corn meal etc. was to visit the expatriate sites of major cities, i.e., shanghaiexpats.com. I was a member there for most of my time in CN. Normally, you just need to create a user name/password to join the sites.

Not only could I find American style ingredients at markets but I used the restaurant guides to locate either GOOD western, vegan, Thai, Brazilian BBQ or other eats. Ditto on hotels, doctors, activities (biking, hiking, tours, Chinese lessons). A wealth of info was available there.

I also found (and used) these expat sites in advance when we traveled to large cites such as GZ, Beijing and even Hangzhou. All I did was enter the city name and either "expat" or "expatriates" into the search engine.

Richard

Edited by Chinese Wife!!! (see edit history)