Can China go green???

The hardest part for China to go green is to convince or prove to people there is a profit in going green, once they believe they can turn a profit the entire country will make great strides in becoming the model for the rest of the world.

The most important part in succeeding in anything is to believe you will be successful.

Lee.. not so sure I would agree in this eastern-listen-to-the-ruler mentality. As is joked in the military: if this guy says "jump", the only response is, "how high"?

I truly believe the goverment will attempt to go as green as possible--maybe they will only achieve a yellow--and despite the peoples acceptance.. which will be more than accepting since it comes from the top...

Lee.. not so sure I would agree in this eastern-listen-to-the-ruler mentality. As is joked in the military: if this guy says "jump", the only response is, "how high"?

I truly believe the goverment will attempt to go as green as possible--maybe they will only achieve a yellow--and despite the peoples acceptance.. which will be more than accepting since it comes from the top...

I was really speaking of the entrepreneurs in China which come in all ecconomic backgrounds and sizes, if they find a way to make it profitable or think it can be made profitable they will drive the way for the government to follow.

Boy you guys can sure make a lot out of... :)

but my story is I posted an article on this topic and then later discovered the...can the west do more thingie...and decided it was really the same topic so I eliminated my post as much as possible... :)

The actual article said that although the central government was on board to try to do something serious about the environment in China that the all-powerful local officials were often standing in their way...refusing to go along and shut down polluting industries because... :doctor:

well you know why don't you???

CHINA HAS TREMENDOUS ENDEMIC CORRUPTION... :o in the present system...so maybe smashing the state and starting over is a good idea... :blink:

Right now there is a premium cost to going green. For example, people in the US who value this will pay more for organic vegetables at the Whole Foods Market. In China, the people will look at their wallets and say "So what? This doesn't benefit me at all but costs more money! Why would I do this?"

This requires foresight and advanced planning on behalf of the government. The Chinese government has far different priorities than a country like Norway, which is oil-rich and underpopulated.

An example: China's big mistake was to charge so little tax on cars or fuel. They were latecomers, so could have been like Singapore and charged a high tax and subsidized public transportation better. Why didn't they do this? There are dozens of domestic car producers and each needed to sell vehicles.

Keeping the masses happily employed will be the goal of the Chinese government for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

The hardest part for China to go green is to convince or prove to people there is a profit in going green, once they believe they can turn a profit the entire country will make great strides in becoming the model for the rest of the world.

The most important part in succeeding in anything is to believe you will be successful.

I tend to believe that in small ways they are already moving toward "green" environmental considerate things.

My wife and I are decorating a new apartment, the ice box and air conditioner both boast "green" labels, and have measurements of how they are energy efficient, and don't contain freon.

After we unboxed everything, I wasn't allowed to through out the boxes, we sold them to a man, who in terns re-sells them at the recycle place.

There are WAY more bicycles and electric bicycles in china than america