What 2/4 Assets You Put Down On I-134?

Guest Rob & Jin

:D Such as bank deposits/personal property/life insurance/cash surrender/ et cetera.

So tell us what you put down.

If you meet the 125% poverty line then all you need is w2's, transcipts , filing docs and a letter from your employer stating if job is full time, how long employed.

If you cannot reach 125% then will need to include other assests to achieve it or get a co- sponser.

If you use a co-sponser they need to file a seperate I-134 for them

:D Such as bank deposits/personal property/life insurance/cash surrender/ et cetera.

If you meet the 125% poverty line then all you need is w2's, transcipts , filing docs and a letter from your employer stating if job is full time, how long employed.

If you cannot reach 125% then will need to include other assests to achieve it or get a co- sponser.

More exactly, if assets are to be used, they must be 5x the poverty level of your household. Our goverment assumes it will take 5 years to become a USC, hence the 5x. Assets must be in the form of something that can be readily turned into cash, example is an IRA account or bonds, not a home or vehicle because you need a place to live and something to drive. Any assets used of course would be open to examination by GUZ too (proof of owenership, how long owned, transactions, fraud).

Unless you are living off intrest bearing accounts (a million bucks in the bank at simple 5% interest only gets you 50k minus taxes each year), then I would skip the asset part of theI-134 and get a co-sponser. The co-sponser must make 125% of the poverty level for their household, including your fiance (not you unless you happen to be their dependent too as claimed on the 2006 tax return).

:yahoo: Such as bank deposits/personal property/life insurance/cash surrender/ et cetera.

More exactly, if assets are to be used, they must be 5x the poverty level of your household. Our goverment assumes it will take 5 years to become a USC, hence the 5x. Assets must be in the form of something that can be readily turned into cash, example is an IRA account or bonds, not a home or vehicle because you need a place to live and something to drive. Any assets used of course would be open to examination by GUZ too (proof of owenership, how long owned, transactions, fraud).

Unless you are living off intrest bearing accounts (a million bucks in the bank at simple 5% interest only gets you 50k minus taxes each year), then I would skip the asset part of theI-134 and get a co-sponser. The co-sponser must make 125% of the poverty level for their household, including your fiance (not you unless you happen to be their dependent too as claimed on the 2006 tax return).

Actually assets only need to be 3x for fiancee and spousal visas because the spouse can naturalize at 3 years of LPR status based on marriage to a US Citizen.

I-864 directions page 9

29. Total Value of Assets.

In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size. However,if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference. If the intending immigrant is an alien orphan who will be adopted in the United States after the alien orphan acquires permanent residence, and who will, as a result, acquire citizenship under section 320 of the Act, the total value of your assets need only equal the difference.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

Also: Assets are only needed to make up a shortfall in income, so if your income exceed 125% povertyline when counting self, immigrant, and any dependents, you do not need to list assets.

One other thing about I-134, the directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134 signed and notarized.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

I put salary, a rental home I have some equity in and my bank account information. I also had many supporting documents for all of these.

I also went to ACH to explain my lower income in 2006 (but still above the threshold), which was duly noted in their computer.

None of it was scrutinized too deeply during the interview. It is worth being prepared in advance as others have mentioned.