Important documents for her to bring to the US?

My lovely Fang will be arriving in Florida December 17th (is this not cool or what???) and she and I are preparing a list of important documents we will need for AOS and other filings. She knows to hand carry all on the plane!!!

I'm assuming copies (not necessary to have originals?) and notarial translations of all: birth certificate, divorce papers, all of my kitchen sink remains, x-rays, I-94 she receives on the plane, extra passport photos, and entire contents of envelope when Visa was picked up at post office in GUZ? Have we forgotten anything or is there a formal list of items that we will need for AOS, EAD, AP and anything else that we could, can, may, may not, possibly, not possibly encounter???? As usual, I do not mind over-kill!!! Thank you all and boy do I have a clean house!!!!...on to the patio now.... : )

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

You seem to be a happy man, Michael. That makes me happy for you. WoW!...your whole life is about to change, as you might know, I'm sure. But there will be some "stumbling blocks" you will encounter. Just be patient and understanding and all will work out. You will see and learn as you both face the cultural differences that life throws at you. Again, I'm happy for you!

Make sure she brings several notarial birth certificates and divorce certificates if applicable. That should do it. You might find that you will need them one day and it's best to have them on hand than having to suffer the consequences of not having them. Of course, they will be needed for AOS.

-good luck

You seem to be a happy man, Michael. That makes me happy for you. WoW!...your whole life is about to change, as you might know, I'm sure. But there will be some "stumbling blocks" you will encounter. Just be patient and understanding and all will work out. You will see and learn as you both face the cultural differences that life throws at you. Again, I'm happy for you!

Make sure she brings several notarial birth certificates and divorce certificates if applicable. That should do it. You might find that you will need them one day and it's best to have them on hand than having to suffer the consequences of not having them. Of course, they will be needed for AOS.

-good luck

Thank you both. Yes Fang and I are thrilled!!!! I am aware of stumbling blocks and we are both comfortable that we are strong enough, and love each other enough, to endure. I have played "devils advocate" for the last 13 months and presented all potential problems. She is an amazing girl with such a positive attitude about everything. Americans can learn a thing or two (or a thousand!) from her!!!

Is it absolutely necessary to have originals of birth certificate and divorce papers for interview? Not sure if mama is gonna love parting with the birth certificate or anything else "original"?

-good luck

Thank you both. Yes Fang and I are thrilled!!!! I am aware of stumbling blocks and we are both comfortable that we are strong enough, and love each other enough, to endure. I have played "devils advocate" for the last 13 months and presented all potential problems. She is an amazing girl with such a positive attitude about everything. Americans can learn a thing or two (or a thousand!) from her!!!

Is it absolutely necessary to have originals of birth certificate and divorce papers for interview? Not sure if mama is gonna love parting with the birth certificate or anything else "original"?

Good question Michael!! Do we get the original documents back from the I-129F if we asked for them back?? Also when??

-good luck

Good question Michael!! Do we get the original documents back from the I-129F if we asked for them back?? Also when??

I'm going to read through all of the links that Dan was kind enough to post and try put together a "short" and "long" list of required documents. Too fried right now though. Also a bit confused as to the timing and her name to be used or suggested (married or maiden) for SSN, EAD, AOS and AP? (AP...maiden to match visa for re-entry? Silly me for thinking things became easier! : )

-good luck

I'm going to read through all of the links that Dan was kind enough to post and try put together a "short" and "long" list of required documents. Too fried right now though. Also a bit confused as to the timing and her name to be used or suggested (married or maiden) for SSN, EAD, AOS and AP? Silly me for thinking things became easier! : )

Great idea, compare notes with Illinois Dave and give me some cheat sheets!!!!!!!!!!

-good luck

No- you won't get the originals back. The CIS states that somewhere in their directions but copies will do. Just make copies of everything and submit that. It should work just fine. The CIS will let you know if it doesn't but it will work nonetheless.

Copies are what the notarial offices in China makes that includes the english translations. They are 4-pages with a white cover. Make sure your SO gets several copies of that to bring to the states, which usually are birth certificates and divorce certificates if applicable.

I worry that perhaps this may not be clear ...

You need to have her bring a couple of originals of the birth certificate and the divorce papers (both official stamped Chinese Notary documents).

Ty is right that you can submit xerox copies of said originals in the AOS filing and bring originals to the interview, if you have one.

Take the time/expense to get two originals as mentioned above ... just think of the hassle if you are both in the US and you need a new original ... she may even have to fly back to China.

I'm going to read through all of the links that Dan was kind enough to post and try put together a "short" and "long" list of required documents. Too fried right now though. Also a bit confused as to the timing and her name to be used or suggested (married or maiden) for SSN, EAD, AOS and AP? (AP...maiden to match visa for re-entry? Silly me for thinking things became easier! : )

AOS/EAD/AP in name that she will want on the documents, if married name then file them using married name.

To travel book airline tickets using name in passport. Carry a copy of marriage cert in case someone questions the difference between AP/Green-Card name and name in passport.

Keep in mind, if you do file for green-card using maiden name, and later decide to change name on the green-card you will file I-90 and pay an extra $370 fee.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

-good luck

No- you won't get the originals back. The CIS states that somewhere in their directions but copies will do. Just make copies of everything and submit that. It should work just fine. The CIS will let you know if it doesn't but it will work nonetheless.

Copies are what the notarial offices in China makes that includes the english translations. They are 4-pages with a white cover. Make sure your SO gets several copies of that to bring to the states, which usually are birth certificates and divorce certificates if applicable.

Correct, you just won't get them back automatically. However if for some reason you did sent them in and needed them back, you can file this form G-884 and hope for the best. At least it is free.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-884.pdf

-good luck

Correct, you just won't get them back automatically. However if for some reason you did sent them in and needed them back, you can file this form G-884 and hope for the best. At least it is free.

I called NVC today and they said to ask for them back at GZU, but no promises?? ;)

-good luck

I called NVC today and they said to ask for them back at GZU, but no promises?? :rolleyes:

NVC has nothing to do with it, it is USCIS and stored at a USCIS off site facility.

-good luck

I called NVC today and they said to ask for them back at GZU, but no promises?? :rolleyes:

NVC has nothing to do with it, it is USCIS and stored at a USCIS off site facility.

No I got that just talked to someone at good old NVC, getting quite chummy with them by now!! :D

I worry that perhaps this may not be clear ...

You need to have her bring a couple of originals of the birth certificate and the divorce papers (both official stamped Chinese Notary documents).

Ty is right that you can submit xerox copies of said originals in the AOS filing and bring originals to the interview, if you have one.

Take the time/expense to get two originals as mentioned above ... just think of the hassle if you are both in the US and you need a new original ... she may even have to fly back to China.

I trust and value your opinion all the time but I think it may not be possible for my gal to acquire what you and I know as originals? (embossed raised seal...brownish/yellowish tone in color?)

I tend to think whatever she went to notarial office with could serve as original, and that should be available for her to bring. She also has about 2 or 3 notarial and translated copies of both birth and divorce papers. Will these suffice? We can't risk trying to ask mama to send us something down the road (can't write English) and I seriously doubt my lady would know where to go for "originals" at this late stage (she's flying here on the 17th)

Your valued thoughts Jim?