learning chinese

Carl,

I have 3 different language CDs, none really gee wizzed me except the last one I bought "Instant Immersion Chinese" It was a two CD set.

What also helped a lot was some tapes I took out of the library. I copied them and would listen to them on my way into work. I can't remember the name of the CD set I had, but I'm sure any of them would work.

I also have a number of books that I find useful. Of all of these my wife is my best resource.

-Tim

Thanks Tim. I'll look for the CD. Since I'm stuck in NSC hell I might as well use the next few months to try and learn some Chinese. I like the suggestion listening to tapes on the way to work too. Thats an hour a day that could be spent more constructively.

Carl

While learning Cantonese I've purchased almost every tape and cd set known to mankind. The one that I think stands above the rest is called "Colloquial Cantonese." I know they also have a "Colloquial Chinese" for Mandarin as well. And they have both tape and CD versions. They're usually available at Barnes&Noble.

I'm going to be picking up "Colloquial Chinese" pretty soon myself, as I move into learning Mandarin.

Getting started I think it's a really good idea to find a community college class. Those early tone lessons with a real teacher - someone who's used to teaching Chinese - are invaluable. I think it's often very hard for even a native speaker to understand what we westerners can't yet hear.

.... "What'd you mean 'ma, maa, ma and ma' are all different words???" :D

One more suggestion you may want to consider. Try renting or buying videos or DVDs that are in Manderin. I have found that just listening to dialog can get you prepped for the different tones and sounds of Manderin. I can't tell you how many times I've watched "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"

Now that I am here in China my ears are always opened listening to the different sounds and tones. I am begining to be able to pick out more and more words.

-Tim

I just purchased Rosetta Stone CDs, English for my wife and Mandarin for me. My wife spends hours a day going over the English version that's why I haven't been able to get into the Chinese. Watching my wife I can see they are both audio and visual. They're a little spendy but if you continue to purchase the advance versions there are large discounts on the next CD.

Guest enight

for Chinese learning CD, I don't know much.

but for learning English, there are just too many software and CDs that you can find online by free or your fiance can find in local market there for 0.6 USD per disk.

well, rather to save that much money to buy something else I guess. :D