Illinois Driver's License

:rolleyes: You rang....... (lurch like sound from the Munsters) Are you a George too? Welcome to the club of George's so nice to meet you George, i'm George :unsure: so then your name is Qiao Zhi also translated in Chinese :smartass: haha, Wow DL already, pretty fast. Her English must be very good. I think I will tell my lao po to get her Driver's license also. Good idea trumpetwasher. <_<

Lixin got her driver's license 11-15, less than 3 months after arriving. <_< The second day she was here, she began studying the Rules of the Road and making margin notes in Chinese. :rolleyes: She missed 1 question on the written test. Would anyone like for me to copy pages from her book for his/her SO to study? George

Lixin got her driver's license 11-15, less than 3 months after arriving. :rolleyes: The second day she was here, she began studying the Rules of the Road and making margin notes in Chinese. :smartass: She missed 1 question on the written test. Would anyone like for me to copy pages from her book for his/her SO to study? George

I sent my SO the state of Washington's rules of the road book for her to study with. In Illinois a Chinese person who has trouble with English can take the written test orally with the help of a non relative translator! :rolleyes: <_<

Had no idea Shenzhen, but thanks for the tip. B) . I'll make sure my lao po starts studying hard haha :blink:

Lixin got her driver's license 11-15, less than 3 months after arriving. B) The second day she was here, she began studying the Rules of the Road and making margin notes in Chinese. :angry: She missed 1 question on the written test. Would anyone like for me to copy pages from her book for his/her SO to study? George

I sent my SO the state of Washington's rules of the road book for her to study with. In Illinois a Chinese person who has trouble with English can take the written test orally with the help of a non relative translator! :D :D

Had no idea Shenzhen, but thanks for the tip. B) . I'll make sure my lao po starts studying hard haha :blink:

Lixin got her driver's license 11-15, less than 3 months after arriving. B) The second day she was here, she began studying the Rules of the Road and making margin notes in Chinese. :angry: She missed 1 question on the written test. Would anyone like for me to copy pages from her book for his/her SO to study? George

I sent my SO the state of Washington's rules of the road book for her to study with. In Illinois a Chinese person who has trouble with English can take the written test orally with the help of a non relative translator! :D :D

No problem spacebar!! You do have to call the IDMV ahead of time and only select centers can do this for you, good luck! ;)

Congratulations. We have lived in Chicago for over 2 years and I cannot get my husband even slightly interested in learning how to drive.

Interesting, I told my wife that out here in "cow and corn country" a drivers license is a needed item not a luxury!! ;) :)

Hey there awch! This actually the first time I've seen a post from the fiancee bringing the fiance over ;) "<< not trying to be sexist" lol. Nice to meet you. How is Dalian Chicago ? Your husband doesn't like driving , how coud that be ? :)

Congratulations. We have lived in Chicago for over 2 years and I cannot get my husband even slightly interested in learning how to drive.

Congratulations!

Christine has had her Rules of the Road since she got here as well. Did you get Lixin professional driving instructions or did you do it yourself?

I'd be very interested to hear how she progressed through the process as Christine will be doing the same.

Lao Po did practice driving for about four months and then passed her road test after a few tries. She's now been driving for maybe 8 months now and has turned into a pretty good driver. She drives the LA Freeways and does not have the oft joked about slow poke syndrome.

Er Mei passed her written test about three weeks ago and is just starting her practice driving. She's doing at least as well as her mom did at this point and I expect she'll become a good driver also.

I taught both of them myself ... no schools. I've gone over with them what the DMV here expects on the driving test and these, plus freeway driving, are the things we concentrate on. Examples are hand position, back up technique, scanning, and common rules of the road.

In the first few sessions I don't hesitate to pull the emergency brake if necessary. I never raise my voice and provide a fairly constant stream of coaching, praise, and criticism, particularly in the beginning. We try to talk through what we are doing well ahead of time. For the first month or so I find it necessary to provide a little corrective steering. They soon find their skills and start getting ahead of the vehicle, this is when the requirement for me to coach or touch anything goes down rapidly.

If you and your wife have the temperament for it I recommend you try teaching her. I find it a rewarding experience.

Congratulations!

Christine has had her Rules of the Road since she got here as well. Did you get Lixin professional driving instructions or did you do it yourself?

I'd be very interested to hear how she progressed through the process as Christine will be doing the same.

Lao Po did practice driving for about four months and then passed her road test after a few tries. She's now been driving for maybe 8 months now and has turned into a pretty good driver. She drives the LA Freeways and does not have the oft joked about slow poke syndrome.

Er Mei passed her written test about three weeks ago and is just starting her practice driving. She's doing at least as well as her mom did at this point and I expect she'll become a good driver also.

I taught both of them myself ... no schools. I've gone over with them what the DMV here expects on the driving test and these, plus freeway driving, are the things we concentrate on. Examples are hand position, back up technique, scanning, and common rules of the road.

In the first few sessions I don't hesitate to pull the emergency brake if necessary. I never raise my voice and provide a fairly constant stream of coaching, praise, and criticism, particularly in the beginning. We try to talk through what we are doing well ahead of time. For the first month or so I find it necessary to provide a little corrective steering. They soon find their skills and start getting ahead of the vehicle, this is when the requirement for me to coach or touch anything goes down rapidly.

If you and your wife have the temperament for it I recommend you try teaching her. I find it a rewarding experience.

You pulled the "E" brake?? In China they are generally taught to put the emergency brake on at stops and hit the horn at the first sign of anything in there way!!! :D

<_<

Congratulations!

Dave, she had a Chinese license, and knew how to drive. SOS didn't mention anything about a translator. Having one this far south of I-80 is merely a pipe dream. Now, had she been a Mexican, EVERYTHING would have been available in Spanish. I recommend a driving school, and you are closer to Chicago than we are, by a bunch, so maybe you can find one in Chinatown. George

Congratulations!

Dave, she had a Chinese license, and knew how to drive. SOS didn't mention anything about a translator. Having one this far south of I-80 is merely a pipe dream. Now, had she been a Mexican, EVERYTHING would have been available in Spanish. I recommend a driving school, and you are closer to Chicago than we are, by a bunch, so maybe you can find one in Chinatown. George

I had to call the Illinois DMV to get that information, it also has to be a non-relative!! :(

My SO has a Chinese driver's license also, but I did ride with her once!!!

:D :( <_<

Congratulations!

Jim, you must have incredible patience my friend. <_< I'll try to teach her myself as well. I'm sure we'll find out very soon whether that'll be workable. :D