NVC to GZ Mail Delay

Guest triattorney

Guest triattorney

On May 12, 2003, the NVC sent a 400+ lb. shipment of among others, approved and cleared fiance visa petitions, to GZ via DHL. The shipment arrived at DHL's Guangzhou facility on May 15, 2003. The shipment encountered a customs issue which prevented its delivery to the consulate-general. According to DHL, several attempts to contact GZ to resolve the issue have gone unanswered. It has now been more than 5 weeks, and GZ has failed to resolve this issue. If anyone is affected by this delay, you may consider requesting your legislators to make an inquiry for you. The DHL Air Waybill Number of the subject shipment is 9379975441.

I had read about this situation before and am sorry to hear that it has not been rectified. It seems the system operates beyond the realities of Murphy's Law. They seem to invent new ways of screwing things up. The whole mess is inexcusable. :blink:

What many here, and on other boards, do not realize is that if this private, classified information is open to mail room employees or others, there are people there that can make life difficult for their loved ones out of jelousy or spite. I have seen many ladies lose their work due to the boss or coworker finding out that they were engaged or married to an American. These same people can make it difficult on the families of these ladies as well. :(

snip//

If anyone is affected by this delay, you may consider requesting your legislators to make an inquiry for you.  The DHL Air Waybill Number of the subject shipment is 9379975441.

So much for efficiency.....

DHL tracking...

May 15, 2003 14:03 Guangzhou - China, People's Republic Arrived at DHL facility in Guangzhou - China, People's Republic

May 15, 2003 21:07 Guangzhou - China, People's Republic .Clearance delay

June 23, 2003 21:00 Guangzhou - China, People's Republic Clearance delay

38 days later. Still stuck.... I'd write this one off....

:( :) UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE

Hey R2D2,

That's one great Avatar! 

By the way Mick, Murphy had an optimistic view compared to what I've come to expect from the amazingly inept  folks who've been handling our petitions...

Best Wishes

I couldn't agree with you more Arglye! :(

On 6/18/03 I received an answer to my written memo to the GZ IV unit which included a copy of the CFL message from Jemodurn on 6/9/03 about the mail hold up.

The answer from the IV unit was:

"Your memo of June 11, 2003, asked if the story in the attached Candle for Love posting was true. The answer is no. None of the IV Unit's operations have been disrupted by any issues with Chinese customs."

I am skeptical about the answer as it is from the government, but until I hear anything otherwise I am operating on the basis it is correct.

On 6/18/03 I received an answer to my written memo to the GZ IV unit which included a copy of the CFL message from Jemodurn on 6/9/03 about the mail hold up.

The answer from the IV unit was:

"Your memo of June 11, 2003, asked if the story in the attached Candle for Love posting was true. The answer is no. None of the IV Unit's operations have been disrupted by any issues with Chinese customs."

I am skeptical about the answer as it is from the government, but until I hear anything otherwise I am operating on the basis it is correct.

Check the tracking number. It is on the board. :D

These papers going to GZ should be under diplomatic security and should not be going through Chinese Customs. BUt I would not put anything past any problems that this visa process goes through. Anything to delay us from being with our loved ones would help our government out of answering to us.

My papers were sent from NVC on 6/12/03, to GZ, anyone hear anything bad about that shipment???

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the plane carring mine, crashed and all papers were distroyed, but the government will need to investagate to make sure mine were on that plane. Another two years, wait????

Just joking about the plane crash, but I've had so many set backs at this point I'm lossing my mind.

OOPS, that's another reason to delay my visa. :D :lol: :lol:

Today, 6/25/03, I went into the IV unit of the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou and talked to a Con/Off about this "mail problem."

He said the problem is being dealt with in Beijing at the Embassy level. He said that as of now it has not affected the IV unit's processing of cases as it has a lot of cases in the pipeline they are working on; suggesting these new files that are hung up would have been handled in the normal course sometime later anyway.

Today, 6/25/03, I went into the IV unit of the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou and talked to a Con/Off about this "mail problem."

He said the problem is being dealt with in Beijing at the Embassy level. He said that as of now it has not affected the IV unit's processing of cases as it has a lot of cases in the pipeline they are working on; suggesting these new files that are hung up would have been handled in the normal course sometime later anyway.

So at least someone in GZ admitted there was a problem. This is in contradiction of what their e-mail said. Yet I fail to see how this snafu could have no effect on visa processing. If your clearance is in the package in question, how could in not have an effect? Maybe R2 is right. In this case, rather than sitting for a few months on the GZ mailroom floor, they will just sit on the floor of Chinese Customs. B)

Guest triattorney

King, thanks for getting some information about the DHL mail delay straight from the horses mouth. Although I have emailed Linda Donahue personally about this matter, I have not received the courtesy of a reply. Since your contacts in GZ indicate the matter is being handled "at the embassy level", I am sending a fax to the Honorable Clark T. Randt, Jr., the U. S. Ambassador to China, in Beijing asking for an update. I encourage anyone else affected by this delay to do likewise. As best I can discern, the fax number for the Ambassador is 011 86 10 6532-6929.

The notion this delay, now approaching 6 weeks, is not affecting persons awaiting official action only initiated upon receipt of the delayed paperwork is simply undeserving of comment.

• 4 years later...

King, thanks for getting some information about the DHL mail delay straight from the horses mouth. Although I have emailed Linda Donahue personally about this matter, I have not received the courtesy of a reply. Since your contacts in GZ indicate the matter is being handled "at the embassy level", I am sending a fax to the Honorable Clark T. Randt, Jr., the U. S. Ambassador to China, in Beijing asking for an update. I encourage anyone else affected by this delay to do likewise. As best I can discern, the fax number for the Ambassador is 011 86 10 6532-6929.

The notion this delay, now approaching 6 weeks, is not affecting persons awaiting official action only initiated upon receipt of the delayed paperwork is simply undeserving of comment.

Is anyone from this original thread still around? I'm just curious what came of this. What was the final delay? Did you come to learn the cause for the delay?

Is anyone from this original thread still around? I'm just curious what came of this. What was the final delay? Did you come to learn the cause for the delay?

There are many unanswered stories in the Naked Candle, Bill.

BTW notice the OPs handle isn't like ours? Means he ain't around.