Married for two years... does anyone know about this?

I've heard from friends that if you are married for two or more years, getting your spouse a U.S. visa is fairly simple. I even read in the newbie FAQ A.1.3.3 "If one is truly determined, get married in China, live there for two years and then come America."

Can someone clarify what is meant by this? I've been in China for 6 years, and my second anniversary is coming up soon. I have friends in a similar situation and they all talk about this "two year marriage" thing, but I'm worried that its an urban legend. Any info would be helpful.

I've heard from friends that if you are married for two or more years, getting your spouse a U.S. visa is fairly simple. I even read in the newbie FAQ A.1.3.3 "If one is truly determined, get married in China, live there for two years and then come America."

Can someone clarify what is meant by this? I've been in China for 6 years, and my second anniversary is coming up soon. I have friends in a similar situation and they all talk about this "two year marriage" thing, but I'm worried that its an urban legend. Any info would be helpful.

Over 2 years = IR1. Also together in China =DCF. DCF is quicker, but overall none is any easier just because you have been married longer.

Over 2 years = IR1. Also together in China =DCF. DCF is quicker, but overall none is any easier just because you have been married longer.

NOW somebody posts the easy way to do all of this??? :rolleyes: :smartass: :mf_sleep: :bounce8:

The two year thing concerns what kind of Visa she will receive; If you are married over two years, then she will get the 10 year green card (instead of a 2 year green card that most get and have to file to remove conditions on, to then get the 10 year).

Living in China allows you to consider filing in china (ala, DCF). It's faster and.. well, it's the best way to go if one can do it.

While your relationship will not be judged so critically, your residency in the US will be; What records do you have of US residency? Up to date ID and bank statements? Where will you live and how will you work? All of these will be the issue to a VO who is considering to give her an immigrant visa.

your best bet is work on the petition to file in china to the local US consulate; Then start working on the other issues mentioned... You can even go back to the US early (or for a trip) to establish some living or work related issues. Otherwise, you'll really need letters from someone (ie: parents) as to where you will live and probably a joint sponsor to cover the financial issues.

again.. file first, then deal with the details later...

Thanks for the quick replies. Now another question. Someone said that a domicile in the states would be important, but we don't plan on moving back to the states for another 3 to 4 years, but would like to visit before then. Would a DCF be the way to go?

Getting a visitor visa for your wife could be problematic, the US would probably view her as having an intent to immigrate because she is married to a US Citizen. Even though you desire to visit and return to China.

If she gets a green card and returns to China to stay for more than one year you will need to file paperwork due to the length of time outside the US. Not a difficult thing, but a pain. Now if she returns to the US before 1 year is up and does not remain outside of the US for 12 months or more there isn't anything to do but enjoy life.

If you follow the DCF route you need to be sure not to mention your plans to remain in China or you could be faced with a denial, this is one of those times when total honesty doesn't pay off. :angry: